Making a Turntable Wireless (not using Bluetooth)

tom222

Sep 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but I am looking for a wireless option to transmit my analog turntable signal to my pre-amp or DAC (*ducks away from flying rotten tomatoes*). Wait *duck*, please allow me to *duck*, explain! I recently moved to a new flat, where I no longer have the space to properly setup my turntable in reach of my pre-amp (without some seriously displeasing aesthetics ).

Concerning my setup: I have a Rega Planar 6 turntable, with fixed RCA / Phono cables that has so far been directly attached to my McIntosh C22 pre-amp. Since the fixed P6 cables are not very long, option a) since my recent move has been to temporarily move the turntable across my apartment, close enough to the pre-amp to attach the cables, as well as the power to the external P6 power-unit, play my music and return it back across my flat when I'm done.
Option b) I've been eyeballing is purchasing some RCA extension cables, to have a bit more flexibilty on where to place the turntable relative to the pre-amp (or cables long enough to move across the whole appartment). However, this would still entail attaching the turntable RCA and the powersupply cables, and finally not tripping over said cables.

Thus, I've been trying to find a dedicated transmitter/receiver system that is not bluetooth. It could even be infrared for all I care, with unbroken line-of-sight, for transmission, but not bluetooth. Unfortunately, my online research skills have been found lacking, as I have not been able to find such a system that is not also some kind of streaming/internet/fancy-named-super-expensive-unit-that-also-does-100-things-I-don't-need.

Soo, I'm trying to tentatively figure out if there is a wireless option that would allow me to keep my turntable where it is (around 3-4 meters / 10-13 feet from my pre-amp), have it transmitt its signal wirelessly to a receiver attached to my pre-amp (or my ADI 2 DAC) without loosing too much audio-quality.

Is there such a system?

I would be very greatful for any ideas or support! :)

Thank you
Tom

Can't think of anything offhand but probably not a good idea anyway. If you really need to do this best sell the turntable and buy one with BT inbuilt.
What is the rest of your set-up?
Keep the turntable with its short phono cables attached to the preamp and then get extended cables from preamp to power amp? You don't really want a long cable from turntable to preamp but once signal has been amplified you can then add cable length as required.

Reactions: James105 and Gray
The first issue is you will need to convert it to a digital signal. Then you could send it by Ethernet or WiFi. Kinda loses the who purpose of analog sound.
Can't think of any device that would convert then transmit.
Suggest only option is to buy a turntable with inbuilt BT and a BT receiver, this however yet again defeats the object of the analog bit....

daveh75

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but I am looking for a wireless option to transmit my analog turntable signal to my pre-amp or DAC (*ducks away from flying rotten tomatoes*). Wait *duck*, please allow me to *duck*, explain! I recently moved to a new flat, where I no longer have the space to properly setup my turntable in reach of my pre-amp (without some seriously displeasing aesthetics ).

Concerning my setup: I have a Rega Planar 6 turntable, with fixed RCA / Phono cables that has so far been directly attached to my McIntosh C22 pre-amp. Since the fixed P6 cables are not very long, option a) since my recent move has been to temporarily move the turntable across my apartment, close enough to the pre-amp to attach the cables, as well as the power to the external P6 power-unit, play my music and return it back across my flat when I'm done.
Option b) I've been eyeballing is purchasing some RCA extension cables, to have a bit more flexibilty on where to place the turntable relative to the pre-amp (or cables long enough to move across the whole appartment). However, this would still entail attaching the turntable RCA and the powersupply cables, and finally not tripping over said cables.

Thus, I've been trying to find a dedicated transmitter/receiver system that is not bluetooth. It could even be infrared for all I care, with unbroken line-of-sight, for transmission, but not bluetooth. Unfortunately, my online research skills have been found lacking, as I have not been able to find such a system that is not also some kind of streaming/internet/fancy-named-super-expensive-unit-that-also-does-100-things-I-don't-need.

Soo, I'm trying to tentatively figure out if there is a wireless option that would allow me to keep my turntable where it is (around 3-4 meters / 10-13 feet from my pre-amp), have it transmitt its signal wirelessly to a receiver attached to my pre-amp (or my ADI 2 DAC) without loosing too much audio-quality.

Is there such a system?

Thank you
Tom

What's your issue with Bluetooth?

It's come a long way with modern codecs, and Bluetooth audio senders are cheap and plentiful.

But if you're really set on making life difficult for yourself youl probably need to look to the Pro audio market rather than Hifi.

For example.

Last edited:

Gray

Keep the turntable with its short phono cables attached to the preamp and then get extended cables from preamp to power amp? You don't really want a long cable from turntable to preamp but once signal has been amplified you can then add cable length as required.
^ That's what I'd be doing ^
Cables in thin trunking round the outside of the room - so unobtrusive you'll forget it's there.
With the mains run in from the opposite direction to avoid bunching it with the pre to power signal cables.

tom222

Sep 8, 2024
Visit site
First off, thank you everyone for your fast feedback! 🤗

The C22 feeds into a MC 275 unit, that is then connected to my speakers. As the C22 and 275 are kind of "an item" I'm very reluctant to separate the two.

What I do have is a pair of Apple AirPort Express units that I used in my last flat to transmit my music to other speakers in different rooms as they have a 3.5mm mini-jack port... Maybe I can use these somehow? Is there a RCA to WiFi ADC that could be easily setup? 🤔

In addition to my turntable, I also have an old MacBook Pro running Audirvana with my high-res music files via USB to my ADI 2 DAC into the C22. The AirPort Express units received the music from the MacBook via WiFi.

Concerning the cable option: How much signal loss are we talking, if I run a 5 meter cable from my turntable to my pre-amp? Is it just a matter of amplification (i.e. turning up my amp) or is the audio signal lossy due to the length?

Gray

Concerning the cable option: How much signal loss are we talking, if I run a 5 meter cable from my turntable to my pre-amp? Is it just a matter of amplification (i.e. turning up my amp) or is the audio signal lossy due to the length?
You might not even notice a loss - why not try before you commit to it?
You want a well screened, low capacitance cable.
Satellite downlead fits the bill - for fixed installation - not designed to be flexible, but wouldn't need to be.

Have a look at twin CT-100 or, better still, CT-125 cable.

Last edited:

daytona600

Keep the signal all analogue with a turntable with XLR Balanced connections you can use very , very long phono cables 5-20metres . RCA cables need too be very short 0.5/1metres

Long RCA un-balanced cables add noise , loss of signal quality , add capacitance / miller effect .Miller effect with MM moving magnet cartridges with changes in Capacitance will affect loading on phono stage & alter sound quality

MI moving iron / MC Moving coils best if using long cables

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Is there a RCA to WiFi ADC that could be easily setup? 🤔
Yes, the Wiim method mentioned by Vincent above.
Note that their Pro / Pro Plus models only have line inputs, so you'd still be needing to separate your C22 and 275.
(The Ultra is currently the only Wiim model with a phono pre-amp).

As has been repeatedly stated, if you're going to extend signal cables at all, better to extend the out rather than the in of your C22.
But if you're really intent on keeping pre and power together.....
Honestly, whatever the theory says, chances are you won't hear a difference with 5 metres of CT-100 type input cable.

Any (unlikely) audible compromise of the sound - then abandon the idea.
The price of the cable and some (decent) RCA connectors is all it will cost you to experiment Tom - before you make it permanent 👍

tom222

Sep 8, 2024
Visit site
Thank you very much for all your insights! I did see the WiiM Pro Plus with the ADC / phono-in, so I might come back to this option later (even though it does a lot more than I actually need it to).

In that case, I will first try the cable method and see if I can tell the difference. With 5m, I should be able to hide them well enough so that I don't trip over them :sweatsmile:

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thank you very much for all your insights! I did see the WiiM Pro Plus with the ADC / phono-in, so I might come back to this option later (even though it does a lot more than I actually need it to).

In that case, I will first try the cable method and see if I can tell the difference. With 5m, I should be able to hide them well enough so that I don't trip over them :sweatsmile:
Let us know how you get on.....it might help others like you.

Jasonovich

Hi everyone,

Is there such a system?

Thank you
Tom
Some of the Project TT have a wireless feature, though I suspect this is just generic for BT but worth checking.
If your Rega has a line output, it should be possible to attached it to a separate wireless module?

1725984749013.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts