Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Took my laptop, Blu-ray ripperand some dvds/Blu-ray to work to start the make mkv

Ripped 4 blu ray and 2 dvd

Worked 100% from my laptop using jriver media for play back.

Back at home my Roku would only play or recognise 1 blu ray and also no sound.

So I'm off to get an AV reciever and blu ray player, hopefully to solve this issue

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Your hardware has to be able to play mkv files. Otherwise you might as well feed them the shipping forecast transcribed onto papyrus.

Try "backing up" the full blu ray to your hard disk before heading off to Currys. "Backing up" should create a full but decrypted copy of the disk, so your Roku (or TV) should see it as a regular blu ray.

daveh75

Benedict_Arnold said:
Your hardware has to be able to play mkv files. Otherwise you might as well feed them the shipping forecast transcribed onto papyrus.

It's not that simple.

MKV is just a container format with support for just about every audio, video and subtitle format under the sun, meaning pretty much limitless combinations.

Therefore just because a player claims MKV support, that doesn't mean it will necessarily support the formats contained within.

Roku is a case in point, it claims MKV support, but is actually has quite limited support for codecs IIRC.

As good as the Roku is for SVOD/Catchup it isn't a particularly good frontend for 'local' media IMO and really requires Plex or similar backend to do transcoding to make it usuable...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

It's not that simple.

MKV is just a container format with support for just about every audio, video and subtitle format under the sun, meaning pretty much limitless combinations.

Therefore just because a player claims MKV support, that doesn't mean it will necessarily support the formats contained within.

Roku is a case in point, it claims MKV support, but is actually has quite limited support for codecs IIRC.

As good as the Roku is for SVOD/Catchup it isn't a particularly good frontend for 'local' media IMO and really requires Plex or similar backend to do transcoding to make it usuable...

Ja I agree
I've done loads of research yesterday on night shift and it's a common problem on the Roku, unfortunately!!

Oh well I already had the Roku.

I'm getting an AV reciever tomorrow and a Sony Blu-ray.

Do you think I'd be better off getting the nvidea shield TV instead of the blu ray for the mkv playback?

Only £50 difference so not a problem and I already have an older player.

Also.a question regarding the nvidea TV.

If I'm using my laptop to use mkv and transfer into usb hd
Will it work on the nvidea

As I thought I read you need to format the usb hd for use on the nvidea before it will work.

So basically using my laptop to transfer files to the usb hd

Is that ok operation or do I have to connect my pc directly to the nvidea TV and leave the usb hd plugged into the nvidea TV instead?

daveh75

Andrewjvt said:

Do you think I'd be better off getting the nvidea shield TV instead of the blu ray for the mkv playback?

Unequivocally yes. Disc spinners are sooo the 'noughties'

If I'm using my laptop to use mkv and transfer into usb hd Will it work on the nvidea

As I thought I read you need to format the usb hd for use on the nvidea before it will work.

Is that ok operation or do I have to connect my pc directly to the nvidea TV and leave the usb hd plugged into the nvidea TV instead?

Its only a problem if you use a drive as internal storage as the Shield then encrypts the disk IIRC.

Not a problem if you mount it as removable storage though, and the Shield TV supports exFAT, FAT32, NTFS and HFS+ so there's no problem with drive formats and swapping between your laptop and Shield.

Assuming you're using windows then NTFS is your best bet so you don't run afoul of the 4GB file limits of FAT.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Unequivocally yes. Disc spinners are sooo the 'noughties'

If I'm using my laptop to use mkv and transfer into usb hd Will it work on the nvidea

Its only a problem if you use a drive as internal storage as the Shield then encrypts the disk IIRC.

Not a problem if you mount it as removable storage though, and the Shield TV supports exFAT, FAT32, NTFS and HFS+ so there's no problem with drive formats and swapping between your laptop and Shield.

Assuming you're using windows then NTFS is your best bet so you don't run afoul of the 4GB file limits of FAT.

Sounds like a plan
Thanks

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had our new home wired for Ethernet when it was built.

All my mkv flacs etc. are stored on a 6TB RAID10 array attached to the home theater (sic) PC and can be accessed from any compatible device in the house.

I still use a cheap 1TB USB hard disk for moving stuff around (to save clogging up the network) and for devices that can't, or more likely I haven't figured out how to make them, access stuff over the network.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Look at microservers. HP Proliant models start at around $400 here excluding hard discs. All the benefits of a full server for the price of a half decent NAS drive box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts