Mains power

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, i'm looking to get a new hi-fi and was just thinking about all the plugs that are guna come with it. I currently own a panasonic TH-37PX80BA plasma tv, ps3 and a sky + box. These are plugged into a tacima CS929 6 way socket. Im looking at getting an amp, cd player, ipod dock, all in 1 blue ray system and maybe a dacmagic for the laptop. Is it ok to run all this off two 6 ways running from a double main socket?

A

Anonymous

The 13-amp socket on your wall is designed to handle a 3-bar electric fire - 3 x 1 kW, or 3 kW. At 240 volts AC that's about 12 amps (yes sparkies, I know it depends on the power factor), which is why the fuse is 13 amps. Back in the days when the World was black and white and people walked funny, that really was how they set the British Standard fuse rating at 13 amps.

So the short answer is yes.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, was just wondering because i know the plasma and ps3 can be power hungry.

A

Anonymous

Err yes, it will run OK (in a fashion) but it is current load x a factor of 3 not amps that is relevant.

If you want your system to play music and follow the peaks (loading) the headroom (draw) a better than a 20A wired ring main would be ideal.
Of course it is significant on the quality of AV amp that is being used, if you are looking to use 200w x 7 the amp needs a much better unhindered supply to shine.

As to a CD player why not buy a 320gb hard drive for the PS3 and rip your CD's onto it, it will sound pretty good, better than most players! With the money you have saved spend it on a better AV amp (Onkyo's are at bargain prices) and your ears will be delighted.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Darren Heal:
......I know it depends on the power factor......

What's the power factor?

Basically, the power in a DC system is found by multiplying together the V and A (V*A=watts). The same procedure but on an AC system will produce a figure which is contradicted by the lower wattmeter readings of true power. The ratio between true and apparent power is termed the power factor (basically it is a means of measuring efficiency).

Power Factor = True Power/Apparent Power = Watts/Volt-amps = Kw/Kva

Sorry back in my field of expertise again LOL

A

Anonymous

True Blue:PJPro:Darren Heal:

What's the power factor?

Basically, the power in a DC system is found by multiplying together the V and A (V*A=watts). The same procedure but on an AC system will produce a figure which is contradicted by the lower wattmeter readings of true power. The ratio between true and apparent power is termed the power factor (basically it is a means of measuring efficiency).

Don't think there has ever been an instance of a fuse box blowing up because someone plugged too many items into the sockets, as regards plasmas and ps3's being power hungry, no they are not, if you had a kettle or a cooker connected then yes!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:PJPro:Darren Heal:

What's the power factor?

Thanks for that.

For one horrible moment I thought you were going to get into AC to DC rectification ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts