Mains power cables and block.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL said:

They look very reasonably priced too.
How would you say it has improved the sound of your system?

Cheers
Matt

I would best describe the sound as 'cleaner'. Everything sounds more natural and detailed. Bass in particular is tighter and more solid. Even my tv looks more detailed.
Hands down the best hi-fi 'add on' I have ever bought

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Rik,

Do you know the model number if it was off the shelf.

They websites changed since I bought mine. Mines similar to the BPS3110S, except mine didnt have any type of conditioning in it, it was a straight Balanced power supply. You might want to contact them to see exactly what they do (Theyll almost certainly make what you want to order)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
MattSPL said:

They look very reasonably priced too.
How would you say it has improved the sound of your system?

Cheers
Matt

I would best describe the sound as 'cleaner'. Everything sounds more natural and detailed. Bass in particular is tighter and more solid. Even my tv looks more detailed.
Hands down the best hi-fi 'add on' I have ever bought

Sounds good, thanks for the info :grin:

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the first post, sub £50 for the block I was going recommend Tacima/Lindy's mains conditioner strip. I found there was definately a noticeable improvement over the bog standard block from B&Q. How much more you'd have to spend to hear a significantly tangable difference past that I wouldn't know :?

P600-0354218-01.jpg

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
A question for those who are hearing an improvement with mains products. The noise that you mention, how does it manifest itself? Is it actually audible noise?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
i recieved 2 merlin tarantula mk6 mains cables yday. i decided to first put them at my source, so one at the preamp and one for cd player.

my inital impressions is that dynamics have been slightly reduced. the cones of the speakers seem to be moving less. on the plus side the sound seems to be more unforced and easy going.

do my mains power cords need burn in time do you think?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
krish123 said:
i recieved 2 merlin tarantula mk6 mains cables yday. i decided to first put them at my source, so one at the preamp and one for cd player.

my inital impressions is that dynamics have been slightly reduced. the cones of the speakers seem to be moving less. on the plus side the sound seems to be more unforced and easy going.

do my mains power cords need burn in time do you think?

I have always got the best results with putting the p/c on the most power hungry component, so give that a go on your power amp as well.....trial and error is the key.

As for "burn in" - that's a fairly contentious issue (though if pushed, I agree with Matt), so try it for a while and see for yourself.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Good to see your getting sorted krish.

I think over time you willl stike a good balance with what you have though i dont like the sound of reduced dynamics, maybe over time this will sort itself out.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just read an article which says: "As a result of the series arrangement, Naim -- because it makes a "substantial" difference in final sound quality -- recommends you plug equipment into the strip in specific order: Power amp first, preamp second, sources last."

Any thoughts?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Cpt.Issues said:
Just read an article which says: "As a result of the series arrangement, Naim -- because it makes a "substantial" difference in final sound quality -- recommends you plug equipment into the strip in specific order: Power amp first, preamp second, sources last."

Any thoughts?
Yes, but most of them are too rude to relate.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Cpt.Issues said:

Any thoughts?

Yes, complete nonsense.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
No, it means the electricity supply on the mains line is not exactly as it should be. Although technically this does manifest itself as a higher 'noise floor'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts