Mains leads and Power block?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I have tried after mains products which have been available on the market over the last few years and at present i am happy to suggest/recommend the use of standard mains related products.

Ultimately the choice is not mine and i don't benefit either way.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

in his line of work it would be easy for him to tell his customers the opposite and profit from selling them something they dont need, the fact that he doesnt do that tells me he's a person of integrity, and that expensive mains cables are not worth buying..

So although I dont gain anything regardless of what I think, im just wrong because rik of musicraft has a differing opinion to mine? And it sounds to me like there hasnt been much experimentation either.

Strange how youd make your mind up over something youve either not tried or barely tried from the sounds of things and side with one person. Very odd.................

A

Anonymous

Alienrik. You are the one giving people grief because of their opinion. Claiming a hifi retailer hasn't tried mains cables because he won't name them. Thats a bit silly is it not?

You believe, Rick doesn't. End of

What is your problem? Buyers remorse? Need the approval of others to justify being ripped off?

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:maxflinn:

in his line of work it would be easy for him to tell his customers the opposite and profit from selling them something they dont need, the fact that he doesnt do that tells me he's a person of integrity, and that expensive mains cables are not worth buying..

So although I dont gain anything regardless of what I think, im just wrong because rik of musicraft has a differing opinion to mine? And it sounds to me like there hasnt been much experimentation either.

Strange how youd make your mind up over something youve either not tried or barely tried from the sounds of things and side with one person. Very odd.................

ive edited that post rik, its not just because of ricks findings that i dont believe aftermarket mains cables are worth buying, but also because of my own logic, ie, why dont the big players provide them, or make them? as chebby eluded to, they surely know how to? thats obvious, but the fact they dont leads me to believe there's no need to..

and rik, my opinion on the valdity of mains cables doesnt make yours wrong, just different, i have never tried an aftermarket mains cable. why would i ? all my electrical components work just fine
emotion-40.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bobbyg81:
Alienrik. You are the one giving people grief because of their opinion. Claiming a hifi retailer hasn't tried mains cables because he won't name them. Thats a bit silly is it not?

What is your problem? Buyers remorse? Need the approval of others to justify being ripped off?

Im not giving anyone grief. If somone came on here saying theyd tried a few supercars out and I asked which ones and never got an answer then im entitled to believe they never tried any supercars out

I dont have a problem. Sounds like you might though................

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:bobbyg81:

Im not giving anyone grief. If somone came on here saying theyd tried a few supercars out and I asked which ones and never got an answer then im entitled to believe they never tried any supercars out

but if said person was in the business of selling supercars for over 20 years? you would still deduce that they had never driven one?

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:bobbyg81:

Not at all. If you cant see that claiming Rick has no experience of mains cables wasn't a very clever thing to say then that'sjust fine.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

but if said person was in the business of selling supercars for over 20 years? you would still deduce that they had never driven one?

Far as I can tell, he doesnt sell supercars, or mains cables for that matter

I can only go off what I know which is that rik claims to have tried some out 'recently'. I dont know which. I dont know what his place is like for RFI. I dont know how well his hearing is.............

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Just to further add. He claims the ultimate cable for ANY piece of equipment is whatever comes with the equipment to 'let the equipment 'breathe'' whatever the heck that means. Which suggests to me that other cables cant let them breathe? That there is a difference?

Im really not sure..............

But hey, everyones entitled to an opinion. Even if they only read it in a forum and decided to follow the crowd.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:maxflinn:

Far as I can tell, he doesnt sell supercars, or mains cables for that matter

I can only go off what I know which is that rik claims to have tried some out 'recently'. I dont know which. I dont know what his place is like for RFI. I dont know how well his hearing is.............

rik, why dont you leave others have their say, and learn to live and let live, agree to disagree, etc, there's no need for insulting innuendo..

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:]rik, why dont you leave others have their say, and learn to live and let live, agree to disagree, etc, there's no need for insulting innuendo..

Im not trying to insult anyone. My apologies

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:maxflinn:]rik, why dont you leave others have their say, and learn to live and let live, agree to disagree, etc, there's no need for insulting innuendo..

Im not trying to insult anyone. My apologies

emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw:

If that's aimed at me, you're wrong actually
emotion-1.gif
I've been on the forum (watching rather than posting) for ages but like an idiot I had my username as my email address (Ben Lawrence etc if you want to check
emotion-1.gif
) and I didn't want that, so when I found a topic I wanted to post on I re-registered, hence when I registered and the immediacy of the posts. Looks like I managed to step into an argument first time round....
emotion-3.gif

Haven't you recently been made a moderator on a certain retailer's forum? Hence, your interest in this.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can see what Rik's getting at (unlike others who are here for safety in numbers). He has basically asked a question, out of interest, and he wants it answered. If someone on here asked me a question, however difficult or simple it is, and regardless of why they're asking that question, I'd answer it.

A

Anonymous

OK then David. Can you please name all the cables that you have liked and disliked in the last 20 years please?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier, I tried an Xperience cable (I believe it was called) which I borrowed from a dealer in Derby many years ago. I think that was my first (and only) third party mains cable I ever tried at home. It definitely made a difference, but there was one aspect I didn't like about it, so I didn't buy it. I've used a few at work, mainly from the Chord Company, but I find it hard to hear differences at work with things that make small differences - I can pick out those differences much easier at home. Because it's hit and miss as to whether these cables make a difference, it's not something I ever recommend to anyone, but if people ask me about them directly, I explain that they should be tried out in situ.

I did have a dedicated mains spur installed once, which that made a big difference.

Personally, rather than messing about with mains cables, I'd rather put that money into the electronics in the first place - that's going to make the biggest difference (room acoustics aside before people start!).I used to do tweaky stuff like that, but I'd rather just get on and listen to the music. If I feel the need to experiment with mains cables, I will do, but several manufacturers like Bryston and Naim warn against third party mains cables as they'll have a detrimental affect on sound quality.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
wireman:Clearly Rick has to ask his Customers to register here on the What Hi-fi forum to defend a position...
"Clearly..."? Being a tad presumptuous, and churlish, aren't we?

If you're referring, in part, to my post in this thread re the Musicraft-recommended MasterPlug mains block, and purchase of speaker cable, as an example of your above comment, then you might like to consider the following two clues re timeline: 1) from WhatHiFi.com avatar/ID: "6th.replicant... Joined on Mon, Nov 26 2007"; 2) from post 531935, in this thread: "Couple of months ago I tried a Wilkinson/MasterPlug mains block...", which was the first time I've had any dealings with Musicraft.

Care to cite any other so-called examples of, "Clearly Rick has to ask his Customers to register here on the What Hi-fi forum to defend a position..."??
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

yea the conspiricy theory is kinda silly, i mean, what do some people think? that rick has rang all his friends and customers and asked them to join whfi's forum and say that aftermarket mains cables are of no benefit? why would he? to what end? the notion is just daft..

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather decided to mix out of this but things seemed to have exploded tonight, and got personal against me
emotion-3.gif
(What a start to posting life here!)

So:

1. I'm not sure the supercar analogy is quite right. The correct analogy is that Rick and other dealers would be in the business of selling cars from Peugeot 106 to Ferrari (say) and the mains cable is the battery (say). The car manufacturer only sell the car with one battery and offer no upgrades. The car works (or you'd be quite upset). 3rd parties decide that car buyers (whether they can afford Peugeots or Ferraris) will spend extra on upgrades, including batteries. Some say it makes no difference, some say it definitely does, some sit on the fence and say 'if you drive on the motorway it might work, it's down to your experience, tho when I'm pushed I've actually only tried 2 batteries'
emotion-5.gif

2.But hey, everyones entitled to an opinion. Even if they only read it in a forum and decided to follow the crowd.

Right on the first part. I see no evidence of the second. The people you are arguing with have either (i) used their own experience, (ii) made their argument from logic, (iii) don't in fact have a decided view. And others (iv) make an argument from science.

3. I dont know how well his hearing is.............

Absolutely ludicrous! So now as well as a full list of all equipment he's ever used, would you like him to post his latest audiogram results from the Dr??
emotion-18.gif

4. The thing with power cables is that until you try a specific power cable, with a specific product, in your home, it's impossible to know whether it makes a difference. In some systems and houses it'll be no difference, maybe even detremental. Other systems will show worthwhile benefits, and it's for these users that it's worth the outlay.

I remember the dealer had a few weird and and wonderful mains leads and conditioners. He swore by them.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried an Xperience cable (I believe it was called) which I borrowed from a dealer in Derby many years ago. I think that was my first (and only) third party mains cable I ever tried at home. It definitely made a difference, but there was one aspect I didn't like about it, so I didn't buy it. I've used a few at work, mainly from the Chord Company, but I find it hard to hear differences at work with things that make small differences - I can pick out those differences much easier at home....several manufacturers like Bryston and Naim warn against third party mains cables as they'll have a detrimental affect on sound quality.

Personally, I don't think these 3 things that you've said fit together terribly well. You have given the impression (if someone was being extremely generous, perhaps unwittingly) that you are an expert and have reached your reasonable middle ground opinion on the basis of that expertise - clearly some people contributing to the thread have taken it like that. In fact, your experience seems to be highly limited (I'm not competing here) and your advice in direct contradiction to the advice given by well-respected manufacturers. An argument could certainly be made that your ambivalence / ambiguity is in part motivated by the fact that you stand to benefit from people purchasing after-market mains equipment, even if you don't personally believe it has any benefit.

5. Haven't you recently been made a moderator on a certain retailer's forum? Hence, your interest in this.

A few points on this one! First, as you well know referring to other forums is against the rules, and I believe you have got in trouble for it before. Second, yes I have been made a moderator of 'another forum' - not for any underhand reason or personal friendships - I have been made to feel very welcome there (unlike the attitude that you have displayed here, unfortunately) and am happy to give my time to it. Third, it is not a 'certain retailer's forum' as I see it. For example, a member and contributor is the relevant manufacturer (along with several others). Fourth, despite clearly being bitter about something, you should perhaps think about not showing such a prurient interest in future - very bizarre behaviour
emotion-10.gif
Fifth, you clearly like to leap to conclusions: 'hence, your interest in this'. I happen to be involved in another thread on this topic, albeit a friendly one and one where (as you will already know
emotion-5.gif
) I have put the other argument, playing devil's advocate. Again, the conclusion I would think any reasonable bystander would draw is that (i) you are bitter about something (ii) your views are deliberately ambiguous, (iii) you try to take any opportunity you can to attack Rick and anyone who happens to agree with him (or more accurately here disagree with people who've had a go at him).

Obviously you suggest I am partial in this debate. You're wrong. The vast majority of my kit has not come from Musicraft. Indeed, some even came from HiFix
emotion-8.gif
I can't imagine your antics will encourage me or others to be a repeat shopper tho....

Hope you consider that I have complied with your moral test: 'If someone on here asked me a question, however difficult or simple it is, and regardless of why they're asking that question, I'd answer it.'

A

Anonymous

This thread has the makings of a classic!

Mains cables don't make a difference so be quiet and go to bed!
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts