Mains cables ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum. Now that really is 'expectation bias'.
shock.png

Don't knock the oenophiles; we really do know what we're talking about (and can prove it through blind tastings).

Life's too short to listen to bad hifi; life's too short to drink bad wine.

----------------------------------------

I rather suspect[as has been proved time and time again] that there are significantly more people who need the price of the bottle to fully appreciate wine complexity. There is absolutely no need to pay £40 a pop to get excellent wine and there are plenty that I wouldn't give tuppence for.

It's strayed a long way off topic but whilst you can indeed get excellent wine for less than £40 a bottle, if you want a bottle of Premier Cru Burgundy from a good year it's going to cost you about that or more and if you can't taste the difference between that and say a good New Zealand Pinot Noir at £15 a bottle then you need new taste buds.

Chris

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Native_bon said:
cheeseboy said:
Native_bon said:
Its my money dude. ;)

I've got some lovely magic beans just for you then :D

It not as good as mine dude... I really think you need to get a life now.. Cause ur beinging to bore the hell out of me.. :rofl:

but you keep replying.... think it must be love :D

Yea course u should be worrying about your money dude not mine... I can only pls me & not you or anyone else with my system.. My system gives me a lot music pleasure dude.... I keep coming back cause its boys & thier toys :rofl:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
relocated said:
Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum. Now that really is 'expectation bias'.
shock.png

Don't knock the oenophiles; we really do know what we're talking about (and can prove it through blind tastings).

I rather suspect[as has been proved time and time again] that there are significantly more people who need the price of the bottle to fully appreciate wine complexity. There is absolutely no need to pay £40 a pop to get excellent wine and there are plenty that I wouldn't give tuppence for.

It's strayed a long way off topic but whilst you can indeed get excellent wine for less than £40 a bottle, if you want a bottle of Premier Cru Burgundy from a good year it's going to cost you about that or more and if you can't taste the difference between that and say a good New Zealand Pinot Noir at £15 a bottle then you need new taste buds.

Chris

But where's the scientific proof?!

Lol!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
relocated said:
shock.png

Chris

Indeed and strangely enough I can taste the difference between all the wine I drink, otherwise what would be the point of buying different wine? That does not alter the fact that blind and sighted testing of wine, particularly where price is given[or made up] prejudices peoples appreciation and ranking of wines. Although I guess one would call that snob bias rather than expectation bias.

:wave:

A

Anonymous

Indeed and strangely enough I can taste the difference between all the wine I drink, otherwise what would be the point of buying different wine? That does not alter the fact that blind and sighted testing of wine, particularly where price is given[or made up] prejudices peoples appreciation and ranking of wines. Although I guess one would call that snob bias rather than expectation bias.

The norm in blind tasting of wine is to not reveal prices, precisely in order to exclude expectation bias (except of course if the purpose is to compare wines at a given price point, in which case price-related expectation bias is irrelevant).

My point in extending this discussion (which does look rather off topic) is this: why isn't there more blind testing of hifi equipment? It's standard practise in the world of fine wine (cp Decanter, The Wine Advocate. and Jancis Robinson's excellent website). And in the testing of pharmaceuticals a form of blind testing (double-blind randomised control trials) is now generally considered essential.

Why so little blind testing of hifi?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

The norm in blind tasting of wine is to not reveal prices, precisely in order to exclude expectation bias (except of course if the purpose is to compare wines at a given price point, in which case price-related expectation bias is irrelevant).

My point in extending this discussion (which does look rather off topic) is this: why isn't there more blind testing of hifi equipment? It's standard practise in the world of fine wine (cp Decanter, The Wine Advocate. and Jancis Robinson's excellent website). And in the testing of pharmaceuticals a form of blind testing (double-blind randomised control trials) is now generally considered essential.

[/quote]

Reviewers don't like it, think they will be tricked or caught out.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewgbell said:

Absolutely right! Might I suggest that there is little blind testing of hifi because who in the industry would want their pretensions exposed? If your jewellery isn't all its pretending to be you aren't going to rush round to the Assay Office!

Chris

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
matthewgbell said:

Absolutely right! Might I suggest that there is little blind testing of hifi because who in the industry would want their pretensions exposed? If your jewellery isn't all its pretending to be you aren't going to rush round to the Assay Office!

Chris

Neither of you clearly understand, but, as you indicate it is off topic and I can't be asked to re-explain.

However to hifi blind testing, then the lack is to perpetuate the myth that equipment continues to get better [sound and vision wise] with every updated product and that there are differences between things that have no difference at all. This would then prejudice existence of this medium and lots more besides.

Myth peddling hasn't done the Church any harm in the last 2000 years, Who knows perhaps the hifi/av industry will still be successfully peddling their myths in 2 more millenia, ably assisted by the hifi/av journalism in whatever form the future holds for us.

TRENDING THREADS