mains block help?

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

can anyone give me some recomendations on mains blocks to connect all my hi-fi / tv into ? , ive got a belkin surge protector at the moment but im tghinking about upgrading it to something a little better.

would like it to have about 6-8 plugs but dont want to spend more than £50 , ive heard a make mentioned called tacima i think , is that anygood?

cheers

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
http://whathifi.com/Review/Tacima-CS929/

Does the job nicely, have one, excellent.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

beachBOYken:are these better for av equipment , ive heard they can be worse for hi-fi?

If you believe they change the sound for the better they do, likewise for worse.

They don't actually affect sound at all.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
For thirty quid give it a go. No lose situation really. If you hear a difference great. I did. If not its a well made extension lead.

This is going to turn into a long thread. Trev your call!!

A

Anonymous

Naw, its been flogged to death.

The Tacima is good for low current units IMHO, TV's and Power Amps can be more demanding off the poor 13A fuse in the plug running 6 sockets of equipment!

A

Anonymous

Have to agree with True Blue here, I installed a Taciama-cs929 a few days ago, and whilst it's not night and day, there was clearly and improvement.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Naw, its been flogged to death.

The Tacima is good for low current units IMHO, TV's and Power Amps can be more demanding off the poor 13A fuse in the plug running 6 sockets of equipment!

IOW anyone that has more than 3000W of amplifier power. Which is nobody.

idc

Cyril Mason: .......anyone that has more than 3000W of amplifier power. Which is nobody.

Except this bloke, who has installed the latest Tacima power station and rates it very highly........................

PICTURE DELETED for copyright reasons - Mods

A

Anonymous

Cyril Mason:

It appears you don't know much on this subject and understand what is asked off the Mains supply and what it can deliver.

Well my Onkyo 875 (Full Class A, 7 x 200 watts) draws 9A at all times, and the TV draws 2.9A.

A important point on electricity supply is it's not just the stable constant current draw @ 50hz to consider but also the impedence on the Mains. The supply has to have the capacity/headroom to follow the transiant power demands of the amplifier. It is quite normal for this to be 3x and can be bursts of up to x10! Noise currents extend right through the audio band off a normal supply.

Before saying 'it's only 50Hz, so impedance doesn't matter' think about what is really demanded by (and reflected from) a PSU under heavy load which draws large charging peaks (implying high-frequency, high current content) under load. High current pulses are effectively resisted by the line induction and fuses, which effectively raises the whole PSU impedance - squashing dynamics.
One answer can be to use a filter which is grossly over sized for the application (10 or 15A+ rating) and Mains rated capacitance to de-couple and smooth.

So like I said in my previous post the Tacima is good for low current units IMHO, TV's and Power Amps can be more demanding off the poor 13A fuse in the plug running 6 sockets of equipment!

Unless you have a hard wired Tacima (as they do in Europe not using fused plugs) or one fitted with a special audio fuse the bottleneck is the 13A fuse and this puts a ceiling on the draw.

A

Anonymous

Well seeing Cyril is of the view that Mains is Mains and kettle leads are as good as anything, where has he gone?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
cyril really doesn't like cables of any sort mains interconnects speaker cable etc - not sure he will be getting anything out of his system except maybe heat - nope sorry that would involve a cable

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Cyril Mason:

It appears you don't know much on this subject and understand what is asked off the Mains supply and what it can deliver.

Well my Onkyo 875 (Full Class A, 7 x 200 watts) draws 9A at all times, and the TV draws 2.9A.

A important point on electricity supply is it's not just the stable constant current draw @ 50hz to consider but also the impedence on the Mains. The supply has to have the capacity/headroom to follow the transiant power demands of the amplifier. It is quite normal for this to be 3x and can be bursts of up to x10! Noise currents extend right through the audio band off a normal supply.

Before saying 'it's only 50Hz, so impedance doesn't matter' think about what is really demanded by (and reflected from) a PSU under heavy load which draws large charging peaks (implying high-frequency, high current content) under load. High current pulses are effectively resisted by the line induction and fuses, which effectively raises the whole PSU impedance - squashing dynamics.
One answer can be to use a filter which is grossly over sized for the application (10 or 15A+ rating) and Mains rated capacitance to de-couple and smooth.

So like I said in my previous post the Tacima is good for low current units IMHO, TV's and Power Amps can be more demanding off the poor 13A fuse in the plug running 6 sockets of equipment!

Unless you have a hard wired Tacima (as they do in Europe not using fused plugs) or one fitted with a special audio fuse the bottleneck is the 13A fuse and this puts a ceiling on the draw.

Line induction, squashing dynamics??? Dear oh dear, where do you get this stuff from? The PSU is going to have a far greater sag under load than anything caused by fuses or mains wiring and transients are catered for by the capacitors in it.

A class A amplifier draws a continuous high current so there are no "charging peaks" and a single 13A fuse will allow a continuous consumption up to 3000W. The Onkyo isn't true class A, it's class AB set with a high quiescent current and has a consumption of only around 870 watts, that's less than one bar of an electric fire and will be no problem going through the 13A fuse.

TRENDING THREADS