mains and xlr cable for my active speakers

gasolin

I have a pc with a presounus 22vsl usb balanced soundcard, a t c electronic level pilot (volume knob) a art dti (dual transformer,isolator) krk rookit powered 5 g3, isoacoustics stands and a power distributor with a filter.

I want to get the last drop of sound quality out of my sound system so i need some good mains and a xlr cable (male,female), so fare i have seen the xindak pc 03 and mabye later the xindak BC-01 xlr cable

It's just the 3 cables costs almost 300$ and that's a bit to much, a price of 225$ would be okay for 2x1.5 meter mains (shuko) and a 1 meter xlr with shipping to denmark.

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative, so i buy everything now?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ATC are world-leaders in active speakers and I know they recommend standard XLR cables and plugging your speakers into the mains with a standard cable. I believe they provide XLR cables with their pro speakers, or certainly can do on request. Try something like this.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
+1

Sound quality wise none of them will make any difference whatsoever. Looks/feeling wise just go for what you will like, if you must.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Completely normal microphone XLR cables will be fine, the most expensive part will probably end up being the nice Made in Liechtenstein Neutrik XLR connectors themselves.

Here's what I usually use :

http://www.thomann.de/dk/cordial_cpm_10_fm_sw.htm (available in various lengths, just choose from the thumbnails at the top)

It's a bit more expensive but the added flexibility is great if you are dealing with tight spaces (those Neutrik XX are pretty good too).

As for mains, this should be way more than enough :

http://www.thomann.de/dk/pro_snake_locking_power_cable.htm

DKK296 (USD54.5) including shipping for everything!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I use Evidence audio lyric HG xlr cables on my active spealers. I found they make a subtle but worthwhile improvement over a couple of other xlr cables I tried.

I found that my mains filter restricts dynamics a little, and tames the higher frequencies, sucking some life from the music.

Mains cables and fuses however, have a considerable, positive effect on the sound of my system. Placebo or not, who knows, but I do know that Myself and around 50% of Audiophiles hear a difference with mains cables and fuses.

My view is that if you can hear a difference and think the outlay is worth it, then go for it.

gasolin

MattSPL said:
I use Evidence audio lyric HG xlr cables on my active spealers. I found they make a subtle but worthwhile improvement over a couple of other xlr cables I tried.

I found that my mains filter restricts dynamics a little, and tames the higher frequencies, sucking some life from the music.

Mains cables and fuses however, have a considerable, positive effect on the sound of my system. Placebo or not, who knows, but I do know that Myself and around 50% of Audiophiles hear a difference with mains cables and fuses.

My view is that if you can hear a difference and think the outlay is worth it, then go for it.

Yes i also hear,see that about 50% of all those who disapate in a discussion on forum's about mains are hearing a difference

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
MattSPL said:

Yes i also hear,see that about 50% of all those who disapate in a discussion on forum's about mains are hearing a difference
Please dnt waste your money. I got a home recording studio & I use normal XLR cabes for my avtive speakers & my main system. I have yet to come across any cable that make any system sound better.. In most cases they suck the live out of the music & make it sound worse.

ALL THE BEST>

gasolin

We have min 14 days return policy in denmark, so i am not worried about buying something that dosn't make my sound better.

I havn't tried it ,so if i want to know if theres any difference i have to try it for my self

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
We have min 14 days return policy in denmark, so i am not worried about buying something that dosn't make my sound better.

I havn't tried it ,so if i want to know if theres any difference i have to try it for my self
I suppose you cnt go wrong that way.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's insane to use cables that cost almost as much as your speakers. Stick to the standard cables, you won't hear a difference.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Gasolin,

Just read your two threads on this subject. Candidly, I am afraid you have been reading too many HiFi magazines. In answer to your repeated questions:

1. Any mains cable whatsoever will do.

2. Microphone cables purchased from an online pro-audio shop (the type of shop musicians use) will be ideal to connect your speakers. Good quality cables with Neutrik XLR connectors can be bought for less than £15.

Something like this:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/xlr-cables/pid31741/cid783/stagg-nmc3r-male-to-female-xlr-neutrik-3m.asp

Good luck.

gasolin

Validation for what.

If i buy some cables where i can't hear any difference i am free to send it back and get my money back, only have to pay at the end what delivery back to the store costs. That is not alot to be able to try some cables to hear if they make a difference.

If you say it dosn't matter with expensive xlr,usb and mains (guess it would be because it dosn't make any difference in SQ), why does those on whathifi who review xlr,usb and mains write about a difference

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Validation for what.

If i buy some cables where i can't hear any difference i am free to send it back and get my money back, only have to pay at the end what delivery back to the store costs. That is not alot to be able to try some cables to hear if they make a difference.

If you say it dosn't matter with expensive xlr,usb and mains (guess it would be because it dosn't make any difference in SQ), why does those on whathifi who review xlr,usb and mains write about a difference

'Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings..........'.

Why indeed......... :?

gasolin

I have been offered a used Audioquest Diamond xlr cable for e about 30% of what the price is and a used supra eff-ixlr for almost the same price.

Do any have some experience with thes cable and can tell my what is the best to buy?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
I have been offered a used Audioquest Diamond xlr cable for e about 30% of what the price is and a used supra eff-ixlr for almost the same price.

Do any have some experience with thes cable and can tell my what is the best to buy?

If you are determined to spend good money on cables, I guess there is no stopping you. The supra website makes all sorts of dubious claims about skin effect and hollow conductors, so I would avoid that on principal. So go with the Audioquest. Its as good a reason to choose a cable as any.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:

Given that the Level Pilot uses what looks like fairly bog-standard multicore cable from its XLR connectors to the volume control, there's no point in using anything more expensive from its connectors to your speakers, as any 'benefits' (actual, theoretical, supposed, faith-based, imagined or illusory) will be overriden by the quality of cabling from the Level Pilot's connector bundle to the controller and back again. Not that there appears to be anything wrong with the quality of the cabling used in the Level Pilot.

Which is a long way of saying 'stick to boggo studio cables, and save your money'.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I've run extensive back to back tests of both and you should definitely buy the second one, the highs are clearer, the mids silkier and the bass deeper.

+1

As for separation they're on a par, but the supra eff-ixlr has the wider soundstage (probably because of the clearer highs). The bass is deeper indeed, and also tighter and more musical.

gasolin

spiny norman said:
gasolin said:

Given that the Level Pilot uses what looks like fairly bog-standard multicore cable from its XLR connectors to the volume control, there's no point in using anything more expensive from its connectors to your speakers, as any 'benefits' (actual, theoretical, supposed, faith-based, imagined or illusory) will be overriden by the quality of cabling from the Level Pilot's connector bundle to the controller and back again. Not that there appears to be anything wrong with the quality of the cabling used in the Level Pilot.

Which is a long way of saying 'stick to boggo studio cables, and save your money'.

Have thought about that

I do want upgrade my tc electronic level pilot, because it's nosiy when i turn the volume up or down (commen problem with the level pilot) and at low levels there is channel drift problems (right word?). So when i buy new cables i have it when i upgrade in mabye a year (monitor controller and speakers).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/521139-tc-level-pilot-noise.html

Have also thought about buying used xlr's as i have mentioned (Only a few new xlr's cost less then 100€ unless they are the cheap ones you can get anywhere for less then 10 bucks) or buying good high performance xlr's from the brands used for big concerts and recording studio's (they are not so expensive on less i buy cable from brands like Vovox http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?gf=microphone_cables&bf=vovox&oa=pra ) and then when i buy a new monitor controller (volume knob) i will buy one without built in cable and buy 2 set of good xlr's.

About mains i still want to buy something for my speakers, i am just look for something new or used that is not to expensive and with possitve reviews,replay form users of the mains

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts