Magnepan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Can I just say, I am a convert!

welcome to the club :clap:

hoopsontoast said:
Bass is supprisingly deep but very punchy and tight as you would expect, drums are an absolute delight.

yup, large diaphragm means low distortion in mid and deep bass region and light diaphragm means faster transient response - speaker can follow musical signal more precisely.

hoopsontoast said:
Midrange is not quite as forward as I was expecting but they are only around 5 Hours old and will probably need 100-200 hours to burn in aparently.

don't think that'll happen. Magnepans don't throw sound on your laps. IMO the soundstage is presented in much more credible way than in case of quasi point source speakers.

and yes, they need a lot of burn in time.

hoopsontoast said:
Main downside is the slightly picky placement and the soundstage dissapears if you stand up, but as I live alone it does not affect me.

buy bigger Maggies then :). 3.7s are 180cm high. can you beat that? :grin:

I had mine toed in with tweeters on the inside for a few months. but now they stand parallel to the back wall, i.e. no toe in and with tweeters on the outside. I prefer this configuration.

enjoy you new speakers! 8)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I dont think they are picky with any music, I have wide range of stuff from Rock, easy listening, Folk, Dance/Electro etc and they have been great with all of it. Not tried any classical yet!

I think that some people may not find them suitable for hard driven rock... but for me they are nearly flawless for anything I listen too. which is mainly electronic, acoustic, some jazz, some indie and a sprinkle of classical music.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Truly brilliant speakers, nothing in their respective price categories comes remotely close.

They're not big, in that they're easy to put away against a wall after a listening session. To be honest, if your house is really to small for them, think about moving :grin:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I recently learnt that dynamic speakers need current and electrostatic speakers are voltage driven. I also read that switching amps (class D) are a bad match for ESLs. How about Maggies (and other magnetostats for that matter)? Current or voltage? And are they class D compatible?

Cheers,

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
I recently learnt that dynamic speakers need current and electrostatic speakers are voltage driven. I also read that switching amps (class D) are a bad match for ESLs. How about Maggies (and other magnetostats for that matter)? Current or voltage? And are they class D compatible?

Cheers,

Have a look:

http://www.magnepan.com/faq#power

Seems to answer your questions.

CJSF

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Magnepan MMG panel = 870 cubic inches.

Monitor Audio RS6 box = 2398 cubic inches.

So, MA RS6s take up 2.75 times more space than Magnepan MMGs.

The Maggies may have less volume than the RS6s but I'd still say that they look much bigger because most of the time you're only looking at the speakers from the front.

Magnepan MMG panel area = 696 square inches.

Monitor Audio RS6 frontal area = 385 square inches.

So, the Magnepan MMGs look 1.81 times bigger than the MA RS6s. ;)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
DocG said:

Cheers,

Have a look:

CJSF

I read their FAQ-page, CJSF. That's why I ask the questions here: no answer in the FAQ (well, the answer is so vague, you can not really call it an answer). And most certainly nothing on class D or current vs. voltage.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
CJSF said:
DocG said:

Cheers,

Have a look:

CJSF

I read their FAQ-page, CJSF. That's why I ask the questions here: no answer in the FAQ (well, the answer is so vague, you can not really call it an answer). And most certainly nothing on class D or current vs. voltage.

A quote from the Q&A page referd to:

" . . . A new type of amplifier (Class D) has become more popular because it is a "green" design and uses less power plus it is smaller in size compared to conventional amplifier designs. We have heard reports of Class D amplifiers shutting down when driving 4 ohm loads or sound quality that is less-than-desirable. Some, more recent designs are much better. Because we do not have the time to determine which models of Class D designs are compatible with Maggies, we must take a conservative approach. Class A/B designs with high current capability have proven a good choice for many decades."

Clear enough to me . . . it sugest to me, use of class D amps is not recomended?

CJSF

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
DocG said:
CJSF said:
DocG said:

Cheers,

Have a look:

CJSF

A quote from the Q&A page referd to:

" . . . A new type of amplifier (Class D) has become more popular because it is a "green" design and uses less power plus it is smaller in size compared to conventional amplifier designs. We have heard reports of Class D amplifiers shutting down when driving 4 ohm loads or sound quality that is less-than-desirable. Some, more recent designs are much better. Because we do not have the time to determine which models of Class D designs are compatible with Maggies, we must take a conservative approach. Class A/B designs with high current capability have proven a good choice for many decades."

Clear enough to me . . . it sugest to me, use of class D amps is not recomended?

CJSF

Oops! My sincere appologies, CJ. :oops: I had only reread the "How much power do I need?" section, that you linked to. Should have read the whole FAQ page again... My mistake; so no class D, lots of current! thanks for pointing out!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:
My mistake; so no class D, lots of current! thanks for pointing out!

:poke: AMS 35i :silenced: :shifty:

Cno, we already have central heating ;). Thinking of it, you could suggest your amp to Roger, who started a thread (misc.&OT) on his open fire, not giving enough heat! :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

Cno, we already have central heating ;). Thinking of it, you could suggest your amp to Roger, who started a thread (misc.&OT) on his open fire, not giving enough heat! :rofl:

Funny Boy! :p

When the Ice Caps melt, the Gulf Stream will stop, due to the diluting of the salt level in the oceans, and we will head into an Ice Age.....so I just like being prepared (and listening to a gorgeous sound while I'm doing it). 8)

Anyway, that was what I told myself! :shifty:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

Funny Boy! :p When the Ice Caps melt, the Gulf Stream will stop, due to the diluting of the salt level in the oceans, and we will head into an Ice Age.....so I just like being prepared (and listening to a gorgeous sound while I'm doing it). 8) Anyway, that was what I told myself! :shifty:

You're a man of reason, Cno!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The Quad doing its thing!

8087583168_6cfe70fe0b_b.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts