hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Can I just say, I am a convert!

I have heard Quad ESL's, Apogee and other Panel speakers but these MMG's really work in real world rooms without esoteric ampflication.

The are quite expensive by the time you have got the MMG's to the UK, but in the US, not sure why anyone would buy anything else for around £400/$599!

Just got a Quad Elite going cheap, and it goes really well with them and hardy esoteric compared to what would usually be required for ESL 57's (Quad II and the like) or massive muscle SS amps for Apogee's.

8062235578_162172e228_c.jpg

8059593958_e31382c4d1_c.jpg

Bass is supprisingly deep but very punchy and tight as you would expect, drums are an absolute delight.

Midrange is not quite as forward as I was expecting but they are only around 5 Hours old and will probably need 100-200 hours to burn in aparently.

Main downside is the slightly picky placement and the soundstage dissapears if you stand up, but as I live alone it does not affect me.

hoopsontoast said:
Can I just say, I am a convert!

I have heard Quad ESL's, Apogee and other Panel speakers but these MMG's really work in real world rooms without esoteric ampflication.

The are quite expensive by the time you have got the MMG's to the UK, but in the US, not sure why anyone would buy anything else for around £400/$5600!

Just got a Quad Elite going cheap, and it goes really well with them and hardy esoteric compared to what would usually be required for ESL 57's (Quad II and the like) or massive muscle SS amps for Apogee's.

8062235578_162172e228_c.jpg

8059593958_e31382c4d1_c.jpg

Bass is supprisingly deep but very punchy and tight as you would expect, drums are an absolute delight.

Midrange is not quite as forward as I was expecting but they are only around 5 Hours old and will probably need 100-200 hours to burn in aparently.

Main downside is the slightly picky placement and the soundstage dissapears if you stand up, but as I live alone it does not affect me.

Because in the UK we don't all have rooms to accomodate such brutes. They look at about the same height as a wardrobe. Mrs. P would have kittens if I walked through the door with these.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
They are only 1200mm tall, not massive and because they are only around 250mm deep with the stands, you can put them to the back walls when not in use. :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Because in the UK we don't all have rooms to accomodate such brutes. They look at about the same height of a wardrobe. Mrs. P would have kittens if I walked through the door with these.

They are 48 inches tall and 1.25 inches thick. Weird dimensions for a wardrobe. (Unless you are a dwarf/child with one change of clothes!)

Being a bit sad that way (and because I have a day off) I calculated the volume of space taken up by one Magnepan MMG panel and one of your Monitor Audio RS6 speaker cabinets (excluding legs and plinth respectively).

Magnepan MMG panel = 870 cubic inches.

Monitor Audio RS6 box = 2398 cubic inches.

So, MA RS6s take up 2.75 times more space than Magnepan MMGs.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Hoopsontoast, In the 80's we at Foundation Audio were commissioned by the then importers, to manufacture a special pair of rigid stands for the 'Magi' . . . The standard 'L' shaped support supplied was (is?) a bit like a spring, from what I can see in the pic., still looks the same?

As I remember, it tightened things up considerably and sorted that finicky image placing out as well.

CJSF

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Because in the UK we don't all have rooms to accomodate such brutes. They look at about the same height of a wardrobe. Mrs. P would have kittens if I walked through the door with these.

They are 48 inches tall and 1.25 inches thick. Weird dimensions for a wardrobe. (Unless you are a dwarf/child with one change of clothes!)

Being a bit sad that way (and because I have a day off) I calculated the volume of space taken up by one Magnepan MMG panel and one of your Monitor Audio RS6 speaker cabinets (excluding legs and plinth respectively).

Magnepan MMG panel = 870 cubic inches.

Monitor Audio RS6 box = 2398 cubic inches.

So, MA RS6s take up 2.75 times more space than Magnepan MMGs.

That's all well and good using a slide-rule calculation, but non of us live in a slide-rule. In reality, if the wife saw them her resonse would be unprintable on here, although it'll probably rhyme with clucking bell - and that's just for starters...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
In reality, if the wife saw them her resonse would be unprintable on here, although it'll probably rhyme with clucking bell - and that's just for starters...

Who cares? (The OP only has himself to please.)

It doesn't turn MMGs into 'wardrobes' nor make your (far bigger) speakers any smaller.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
In reality, if the wife saw them her resonse would be unprintable on here, although it'll probably rhyme with clucking bell - and that's just for starters...

It doesn't turn MMGs into 'wardrobes' nor make your (far bigger) speakers any smaller.

The Op did say "not sure why anyone would buy anything else for around £400/$599!" That is why I highlighted it with my initial response.

That's fine - if you could live with a speaker that's cross between a big fireguard and a wardrobe door...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/09/28/mye-sound-rock-solid-magneplanar-3-7-stands/

Similar in principle to the Foundation original, but we did away with the unnecessarily long, 'resonant' back support, very ugly and not required if engineered correctly.

CJSF

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

The Op did say "not sure why anyone would buy anything else for around £400/$599!" That is why I highlighted it with my initial response.

That's fine - if you could live with a speaker that's cross between a big fireguard and a wardrobe door...

You missed out the first bit:

"but in the US, not sure why anyone would buy anything else for around £400/$599!"

;)

You can get them in White and Cream fabric as well, make it a bit more room friendly for those who are whipped :rofl:

And I said "clucking bell" a few times last night while listening to them :rofl:

hoopsontoast said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

You missed out the first bit:

"but in the US, not sure why anyone would buy anything else for around £400/$599!"

;)

You can get them in White and Cream fabric as well, make it a bit more room friendly for those who are whipped :rofl:

And I said "clucking bell" a few times last night while listening to them :rofl:

Fair enough, the average house size in the US doesn't compare to a pokey little bungalow in a quiet English backwater.

What is the width of those MMs? The RS6s are about 18cm. I would give a conservative guess they are double?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
They are around 360mm wide :grin:

You could always just get a new fabric 'sock' to cover them in a similar pattern/colour to your wallpaper or paint to help them blend in.

I like them in black, but then 2001 is one of my favourite films!

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to say I heard some of the Magnepan range at the recent audio show at Whittlebury hall and was really impressed, I'm not sure of the exact model, I think they were around £1200 which seemed like excellent value.

They went reasonably low for a panel speaker but sounded just gorgeous with vocals and they really felt like a well integrated speaker unlike the Martin Logans, which sounded lovely but I felt that the bass still felt a little detaitched.

I would certainly like to spend some more time with the Magnepan range.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The ones at Whittlebury were the MG12, RRp of £1.5k but being sold at £1275 IIRC. They are the cheapest in the Magnepan range in the UK apart from the MMGW and MMGC HT speakers.

The MMG's are factory direct from Magnepan Only, even in the US.

They are basically a bigger version of the MMG, same panel arrangement, just more of it!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One day, someone will screen or jet print pictures on the sock grills of large speakers . . . to help them blend in??? I can imagine a nice classical mural type cherub and angel picture or a window like view of the sea shore with palm trees . . . ?

CJSF

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that is a lot of speaker for even £1500 but at £1275 it is extremely good value.

I guess they are not for everyone but if you listen to a paticular style of music then I'd imagine they would be hard to beat.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I dont think they are picky with any music, I have wide range of stuff from Rock, easy listening, Folk, Dance/Electro etc and they have been great with all of it. Not tried any classical yet!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts