Magic Erasers, Stylus brushes, record brushes, LP cleaners?

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Im trying to understand the best combination of "value" purpose made or everyday cleaning products to clean stylus/records, that would be better than doing nothing, but also not going to crazy extremes either!

I have a small library of records , rarely played, and a Project Debut player. However, I like to keep things ticking over as best possible, for as long as possible without going to audiophile extremes (the record/components dont justify the cost) !

I was contemplating a Flash Magic Eraser to clean the stylus (I read about the Mr Clean Eraser but the Flash one is easier found).

What other recommended but basic product could be advised for a record brush and/or LP cleaner? I used to have a product in a blue botle with a white cloth simply called 'Record Cleaner' that i got from a high street shop, but i have no idea if it was detrimental, or was actually any good.

Regards.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
then I don't think you need any fancy cleaners etc.

all you need is a soft brush to clean the stylus when needed and a record brush to clean the vinyl before you play it.

as long as you put your records back in the paper sleeves after playing them and keep your vinyl upright then I wouldn't worry.

*music2*

Gray

macdiddy said:

all you need is a soft brush to clean the stylus when needed and a record brush to clean the vinyl before you play it.

as long as you put your records back in the paper sleeves after playing them and keep your vinyl upright then I wouldn't worry.

*music2*

That's all I use - a Hunt EDA Duluxe Carbon Fibre brush, it's thin bristles are supposed to reach the bottom of the groove. Anyone remember them? And some anti-static inner sleeves work well for me.

Assuming your records are in a clean condition, you only need do the basics to keep them that way.

Your blue bottle by the way - from Boots - still got mine. Someone bought it for me, used it once on a SH 7"single, worked a bit, but didn't risk it on anything special! Stick to dry cleaning to avoid any residue build-up on the stylus.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Back when TTs were the main source, there was a lot of discussion about how to keep records clean. There were velvety cleaners, tacky rollers, anti-static guns and little rollers that attached to your TT and sat on the record as you were playing it.

IIRC. The main consensus was they were mostly ineffective and if anything pushed the dust further into the grooves....so let the stylus clean the record and keep the stylus clean.

At that time, the only effective means of cleaning a record, was a Keith Monks machine and then storing in an anti-static sleeve.

I haven't had a TT for 25 years, so don't know if there is a trendy modern solution...but somehow I doubt it, unless based on the Keith Monks principle.

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replies guys. I'll probably get a middle of the road record brush and leave it at that.. I keep the records in their sleeves and the records are infrequently played..

I think a lot of the products i read about are overkill .....

And i think i'll ditch the blue bottle.!

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
static invites dust and dirt so to keep the static down to a minimum on my records when playing i use a dry liner cloth for the tumble dryers under the rubber turntable mat and on top of the platter keeps the static down and when the nice smell has worn off i change them *biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just be the awkward one giving contrary advice, I can only say I've had great results with the old HMV 'blue bottle' in the past. The key is to absolutely soak the record, and mop it all off with a MF cloth. Don't be afraid to put some elbow grease into it because you mustn't let the cleaner dry into the surface, however only wipe in a circular motion, never against the grooves. Resurected various charity-shop 50p specials that way.

D

Deleted member 108165

I have a very small record collection too. If you really want to push the boat out in a small way then as follows:

Knosti Disco Antistat for cleaning your records

New antistat sleeves for use after cleaning

Carbon fibre record brush

Onzo - Zerodust for cleaning the stylus

Stylus cleaning brush

Illuminated jewellers loupe for a closer gander at your stylus

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I thought it worked .....probably. Then you grow up and read WhatHiFi and think maybe it wasnt a good idea afterall, then actually 'maybe' it wasn't too bad...

If i find it i'll squirt it all over! *biggrin*

I'll be dead before i see any detrimental effects....

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
I have a very small record collection too. If you really want to push the boat out in a small way then as follows:

Knosti Disco Antistat for cleaning your records

New antistat sleeves for use after cleaning

Carbon fibre record brush

Onzo - Zerodust for cleaning the stylus

Stylus cleaning brush

Illuminated jewellers loupe for a closer gander at your stylus

Thats what I do exactly, plus making my own cleaning fluid to the WHF receipe. It works a treat even some of my old records bought in the 1970s came up as good as new.

Gray said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*

That's all I use - a Hunt EDA Duluxe Carbon Fibre brush, it's thin bristles are supposed to reach the bottom of the groove. Anyone remember them? And some anti-static inner sleeves work well for me.

Assuming your records are in a clean condition, you only need do the basics to keep them that way.

Your blue bottle by the way - from Boots - still got mine. Someone bought it for me, used it once on a SH 7"single, worked a bit, but didn't risk it on anything special! Stick to dry cleaning to avoid any residue build-up on the stylus.

+1

I have a stylus brush and the Pro-Ject equivalent of the Hunt carbon fibre brush. Both cheap and effective.

D

Deleted member 108165

AntAxon said:
Thats what I do exactly, plus making my own cleaning fluid to the WHF receipe. It works a treat even some of my old records bought in the 1970s came up as good as new.

Me too. Didn't think much to the fluid supplied with the Knosti, the home-brew solution is much better.

iceman16

I have both the Knosti and Project vcs. The only negative I found with the former was that I need to rinse the records with plain distilled water to get rid of residue from the liquid solution which is non existent with a vacuum type cleaner. The residue is often collected by the stylus.

D

Deleted member 108165

iceman16 said:
I have both the Knosti and Project vcs. The only negative I found with the former was that I need to rinse the records with plain distilled water to get rid of residue from the liquid solution which is non existent with a vacuum type cleaner. The residue is often collected by the stylus.

You don't get any residue if the home-brew fluid is used. I think Knosti also improved their fluid.

iceman16

DougK said:
iceman16 said:

You don't get any residue if the home-brew fluid is used. I think Knosti also improved their fluid.

I have’nt used home-brew liquid but L’art du son so just sharing my experience.

iceman16 said:
DougK said:
iceman16 said:

If you need to re-rinse after using this fluid then you are doing something wrong.

iceman16

Al ears said:
iceman16 said:
DougK said:
iceman16 said:

If you need to re-rinse after using this fluid then you are doing something wrong.

I need to rinse if using Knosti not with Project vcm. Air drying leaves some residue which is not noticeable until I check my stylus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts