Knosti Record Cleaner - Upgrade path?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oxfordian

The UTV sound bar is a manual, budget-friendly record cleaning machine that uses a fluid-based cleaning method to remove dust and dirt from vinyl records. While it is a popular choice for many vinyl enthusiasts, it does have its limitations and may not provide the same level of cleaning and restoration as more advanced, automated record cleaning machines.
If you are looking to upgrade from the Knosti Record Cleaner, there are several options available depending on your budget and needs. Here are a few suggestions:
  1. Spin-Clean Record Washer MKII: The Spin-Clean is a popular and affordable record cleaning machine that uses a similar fluid-based cleaning method as the Knosti, but with a more advanced design and improved cleaning effectiveness.
  2. Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine: The Okki Nokki is a higher-end, automated record cleaning machine that uses a vacuum-based cleaning method to deep clean and restore vinyl records. It is more expensive than the Knosti, but provides superior cleaning performance and convenience.
  3. VPI HW-16.5 Record Cleaning Machine: The VPI HW-16.5 is a top-of-the-line record cleaning machine that is widely regarded as one of the best in the market. It uses a high-powered vacuum-based cleaning method to deep clean and restore even the most stubbornly dirty vinyl records.
Regardless of which upgrade path you choose, it's important to keep in mind that proper cleaning and maintenance of your vinyl records is essential for preserving their quality and lifespan. Investing in a high-quality record cleaning machine can make a big difference in the sound quality and longevity of your vinyl collection.
Totally agree with the need to keep my vinyl as clean as I possibly can and preserve it in the long term.

I have been a bit remiss over the years with cleaning but the Knosti has been a step in the right direction, now I want to go a step further for exactly the reasons you make. Thanks for the input.

Oxfordian

My Hifi dealer when I was back in the sunny south east of england had a machine but as he is now 230 miles away running back to him isn't overly practical and my nearest dealer is now approximately 75 minutes away so again not somewhere I am going to be on a regular basis.

Hence the thought of buying something better, I'll save a bit of time and money if I had something in house, the little Knosti is great but could do with a bit better without spending too much.

Did you have something to add other than reposting my comments?

Reactions: WayneKerr

nads

PP, I can guess the kit you have now. It is fine on discs that have been handled and looked after. But when you come to something that is covered in crud….
when buying used or new I would not be without my OKKI NOKKI. With ones that I have owned since the 80s I am happier with the more basic cleaning.

Reactions: Oxfordian
PP, I can guess the kit you have now. It is fine on discs that have been handled and looked after. But when you come to something that is covered in crud….
when buying used or new I would not be without my OKKI NOKKI. With ones that I have owned since the 80s I am happier with the more basic cleaning.
A few of my records are full of crud, but gentle cleaning they seem to come up a treat. Admittedly some are beyond reasonable playing condition, so nothing is ideal. But for a tenner that HMV cleaning solution is GVFM.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
I've just dug my Knosti out and made up a fresh solution of 300ml IPA to 1000ml distilled water and 5ml Ilford wetting agent. I rotate 6x forward and back. 4x forward and back. 2x forward and back then drain.
Excellent results with no crud on the stylus and playing beautifully and almost silent. Can't fault it really. Just ordered some new nagoaka inners as I only had 10 left now used those up today.

Oxfordian

Before I go and put a hammer to the piggy bank to enable me to spend my savings on a Pro-Ject cleaning machine I wondered about getting something like the GrooveWasher Mondo Vinyl Cleaning Kit or at a much lower price the Big Fudge equivalent, both seem to work on the same principle.

Has anyone tried these manual vinyl cleaning products and if so how did you get on with them?

Thanks.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Before I go and put a hammer to the piggy bank to enable me to spend my savings on a Pro-Ject cleaning machine I wondered about getting something like the GrooveWasher Mondo Vinyl Cleaning Kit or at a much lower price the Big Fudge equivalent, both seem to work on the same principle.

Has anyone tried these manual vinyl cleaning products and if so how did you get on with them?

Thanks.

I'd say that either of those two you mentioned above would certainaly be a step backwards from using you Knosti. At least in a bath based system the gunk has chance to go out of the gooves and into solution. A felt pad and liquid cleaner is likely to clean the surface of a record but not the gooves where it matters. Having said that, I have not tried either.

The best way I would think is do it properly once and then really look after your records from there on. Clean fingers/gloves if you must. New record anti-stat inners after each clean. Keep stylus clean. Keep records vertically in a ventilated place/no damp walls etc. Most of the damage to mine seems more surface mould from bad storage on my part.

Oxfordian

I'd say that either of those two you mentioned above would certainaly be a step backwards from using you Knosti. At least in a bath based system the gunk has chance to go out of the gooves and into solution. A felt pad and liquid cleaner is likely to clean the surface of a record but not the gooves where it matters. Having said that, I have not tried either.

The best way I would think is do it properly once and then really look after your records from there on. Clean fingers/gloves if you must. New record anti-stat inners after each clean. Keep stylus clean. Keep records vertically in a ventilated place/no damp walls etc. Most of the damage to mine seems more surface mould from bad storage on my part.
Thanks for your thoughts, I am just trying to avoid flexing the plastic, I had seen the reviews on YT and both products got good feedback but it looks as though a cleaning machine is the best way forward. I have a big pile of MoFi anti stat liners which I use religiously, as good as the Knosti is it does require the vinyl to air dry which means the wet vinyl is susceptible to getting dust on whilst drying somewhat negating the benefit of washing the muck off.

Appreciate your input.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts, I am just trying to avoid flexing the plastic, I had seen the reviews on YT and both products got good feedback but it looks as though a cleaning machine is the best way forward. I have a big pile of MoFi anti stat liners which I use religiously, as good as the Knosti is it does require the vinyl to air dry which means the wet vinyl is susceptible to getting dust on whilst drying somewhat negating the benefit of washing the muck off.

Appreciate your input.

Never had a problem with dust settling on the wet LPs standing in the drying rack TBH. Even if it did it would only be on the surface and i always use my carbon brush before each play. As the drying LPs are vertical I can't see this being a problem.
In my experience with the solution I use the records are surface dry in about 10 minutes. The problem I have is that the solution that drains off the record gathers at the point where the record edge rests on the rack and forms a puddle. I dab at this with a rolled up bit of kitchen roll and rotate the records every few minutes.
I also use a desktop office fan to blow across the rack for about 30-45 minutes when rotating the records to ensure they are dry before re-sleeving. If anything was going to introduce dust then this would but again I found it a non-issue.
Hope this helps?

PS- the most annoying thing about the Knosti is trying to cleanly pour the solution from the cleaner into the funnel without most of it going over the table!

Edit: just to add, if I had the space I would get a vacuum record cleaner like the Pro-Ject or similar. I (and wife and kids) just have so much 'other stuff' I wouldn't have anywhere to store it. In the grand scheme of things where LPs cost £20-30 new, spending £300 on a cleaning machine is a no-brainer if you have a lot of records or buy ones from charity shops or 2nd hand.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

PS- the most annoying thing about the Knosti is trying to cleanly pour the solution from the cleaner into the funnel without most of it going over the table!

I had the same problem, in the end most of the muck I has washed off the vinyl ended up back in the bottle and that nice clear liquid soon went a cloudy grey.

My solution was a cheap funnel from Halfords the ones that they sell for topping up your car oil or washer bottle and some filter papers used in filter coffee machines, putting the filter paper in the funnel gives a nice wide opening to pour the liquids in, the funnel sits nicely in the lid of the bottle and the filter paper traps the muck, the container for the liquid now remains completely clear.

Thanks for the other suggestions/tips, I think most of which I am covering and the carbon brush is used on each LP before its played.

A Project cleaner is going to be purchased in the near future, I think that it will help budge some of the ingrained muck from my aged vinyl that wasn't treated kindly in my youth.

Reactions: Nico69

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts