Knosti Record Cleaner - Upgrade path?

Oxfordian

I like my little very basis and simple Knosti record cleaner but there are a few records that still pop and crackle no matter how many times I clean them, so what is the next rung up the ladder, what do other vinyl enthusiasts use to keep their precious albums nice and clean?

Suggestions very welcome please.

I like my little very basis and simple Knosti record cleaner but there are a few records that still pop and crackle no matter how many times I clean them, so what is the next rung up the ladder, what do other vinyl enthusiasts use to keep their precious albums nice and clean?

Suggestions very welcome please.
if I have the odd really grubby one I take them to my local record store that have two cleaning machines.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

if I have the odd really grubby one I take them to my local record store that have two cleaning machines.

Haha, I tried that, my local record store has a good secondhand section so I presumed that they would use a record cleaner, they do its called distilled water and a microfibre cloth.

My Hifi dealer when I was back in the sunny south east of england had a machine but as he is now 230 miles away running back to him isn't overly practical and my nearest dealer is now approximately 75 minutes away so again not somewhere I am going to be on a regular basis.

Hence the thought of buying something better, I'll save a bit of time and money if I had something in house, the little Knosti is great but could do with a bit better without spending too much.

(edited - should have said record store not dealer in the first paragraph, sorry)

Last edited:
Haha, I tried that, my local dealer has a good secondhand section so I presumed that they would use a record cleaner, they do its called distilled water and a microfibre cloth.

My Hifi dealer when I was back in the sunny south east of england had a machine but as he is now 230 miles away running back to him isn't overly practical and my nearest dealer is now approximately 75 minutes away so again not somewhere I am going to be on a regular basis.

Hence the thought of buying something better, I'll save a bit of time and money if I had something in house, the little Knosti is great but could do with a bit better without spending too much.
i guess the next step up, machine wise,might be the Pro-ject VC-E mk2

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I've just replaced my Knosti Disco with a Pro-Ject VC-E machine. The VC-E is certainly much better at cleaning the records. Much quicker and more thorough. Noisier though.. :)
Records I have previously cleaned with the Knosti still had some static and cleaning them again with the VC-E improved it somewhat. I then follow up with a some Groovewasher G2 spray and even an ancient Nagaoka anti-static gun. Still the occasional pop and crackle but overall vastly improved.

Reactions: Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I had around 156 of my favorite LP´s all with dried up white mold ,when buying a new house ,with 70 years or more i thought i knew which were the walls that could need humidity treatment but because the house was looking very good i put the records on a 70´s piece of furniture all made of wood ,kind of a living room shelfs with a central BAR for alcohol but took the part for the botles and whiskey glasses and stayed with six divided shelfs ,each for LP´s storage but having there my favorite records or the ones i was listening more in 2007 i didn´t notice that the wall behind was letting pass the humidity that through the wood of the furniture it was making all those records very dirty with white mold , i have seen of several colours but white was the first time ,when playing a record i notice noises which all my records don´t have any ,maybe because the air in the region where i live is very dry, at the time i felt like if i lost a family menber and when taking to my home a young guy that had a cleaner machine i played a 70´s album of peter gabriel, it was filled with noises but the sound underneath was perfect ,to which he tells me "this record is like new the sound is preserved perfectelly " ,that´s when i understood that his machine wasn´t that good, the second person is a musician ,he plays flute that one was seeing the records and wanting to buy them all he never refered once to his cleaning machine and he was more worried to know if some records were 1st editions, most of them were and i had to sell him some records but i understood that this wasn´t the guy with a cleaning machine it would solve my problems ,i ended up selling amongst others some The Who records and a syd barret lp it came out in the 80´s with a compilation of old known songs but diferent takes and some that were never edited ,Opel was the name ,he tells me that he went to a big vinil store in Lisbon and those records were being sold for prices like from 50 to 100€ and he ofered money and i said yes but again no cleaning machine ,that´s when in Lisbon(Portugal) i talked with some guys that were DJ´s and some even had produced a album from a english artist with great quality but sounding kind of dub with a rythms taken from old trance psychedelic songs they used to mix when being dj´s ,that´s when one tells me that he owns two machines one using ultra-sounds and other from Pro-ject both very expensive ,he cleaned in front of me two records that in my opinion sounded more like destroyd than dirty but after passing the two records twice on both machines they sounded new ,i have to say that i can´t take the amount of money he spent in those two machines but if to clean the both ,machines do clean perfect and only in 2017 he found time to clean my records ,i have to say they become new again , and i´m one of those guys that can´t hear a crackle in a whole LP ,so i guess that if one wants the records real cleaned is buying the Pro-Ject machine ,it cleans and vacums the cleaning fluid in the moment next to being cleaned and a ultra-sonic machine both do clean perfect any record if it´s cleaning it needs , destroyd records are not cleaned and sound new ,those are garbage

Last edited:

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I’d love to read your posts, but without paragraphs they are nigh on impossible.
sorry but my written english is not that good , but if one try´s to follow my line of thought i think it can be undertsood, again sorry for my bad english, i´m trying to improve it but when writting i can´t introduce a separation in diferent sentences or i would do it badly maybe causing more confusion

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately his translation programme seems unable to do this and he does waffle on a bit... :)
i do not use any translation programme, because they are very bad and they do not translate in any type of quality languages from diferent origins or i would use it , if in doubt of what i´m trying to express

i do not use any translation programme, because they are very bad and they do not translate in any type of quality languages from diferent origins or i would use it , if in doubt of what i´m trying to express
Ok, but surely you can break up your posts into more readable paragraphs. Whatever language you use they must use paragraphs?

sorry but my written english is not that good , but if one try´s to follow my line of thought i think it can be undertsood, again sorry for my bad english, i´m trying to improve it but when writting i can´t introduce a separation in diferent sentences or i would do it badly maybe causing more confusion
think of where you would put the breaks if you had written it in your own language would be my suggestion.
I think an issue is you put so much into your posts that is actually irrelevant or unnecessary, just saying.
You have valuable information, it's just difficult to pick it out from a whole block of text.Y
Keep it short and simple would be my suggestion.

Reactions: nopiano

WayneKerr

Your written English is excellent Rui for a non-native speaker (y)Try paragraphs, we will tell you if it is confusing :)

Reactions: nopiano

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
thanks all for your sugestions ,they make sense . I´ll try to reduce the coments by remove parts of the texts that are to contextualize my opinions, which maybe they are not necessary. my language is portuguese but most of the days i speak english with friends from germany or netherlands that came to live near my city because of all year around sunny weather , again , thanks

Your English is much better than my Portuguese!

Whenever you take a breath, try a new paragraph. :)

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Ok, but surely you can break up your posts into more readable paragraphs. Whatever language you use they must use paragraphs?
In Potuguese we have a lot of pontuation, but it´s totally diferent from english more similar to french, spanish (in reality is called castellano)and italian ,they all came from Latim or Latin , which is a lot diferent from english and german languages or anyother, regards

In Potuguese we have a lot of pontuation, but it´s totally diferent from english more similar to french, spanish (in reality is called castellano)and italian ,they all came from Latim or Latin , which is a lot diferent from english and german languages or anyother, regards
I well understand that but your posts on here have little punctuation.
please continue to post but it helps with reading if you can break it up a bit.

Oxfordian

I would be looking at changing the fluid you are using if you are using the original fluid.

On bottle number 4, the fluid from container one is poured into the cleaning unit and then topped up from container two to reach the max level in the unit prior to cleaning. Once cleaning is over the mixture is put through a filter back into bottle one, this traps all the muck and stops it from contaminating the mixture. Bottle two always stays clean and is just added as required.

nads

On bottle number 4, the fluid from container one is poured into the cleaning unit and then topped up from container two to reach the max level in the unit prior to cleaning. Once cleaning is over the mixture is put through a filter back into bottle one, this traps all the muck and stops it from contaminating the mixture. Bottle two always stays clean and is just added as required.
Nope. I was on about binning the fluid that comes with the kit as it leaves residu on the records.

camcroft

I have a spin clean when the fluid was finished I tried the spincare one it's cheaper and doesn't seem to bad. Cleans my records with no residue I dry them with the spin clean cloths before I put them on the drying rack.. I always put a bit more than they say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts