Mag in Singapore?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been looking around for the January 2011 WhatHiFi mag in Singapore for the past few weeks but to no avail.

Normally, the mag would be available in bookstores on the 20-odd of every month.

When will be the January 2011 copy hit Singapore's shore?

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon :) .

Regards,

Alvin.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Alvin,

Copies of the UK February issue should have arrived the last week of January, i'm told - slight delay on normal date due to delivery backlogs.

I've certainly heard of subscribers in the area having their issue.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems tracking the mag down.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
To What Hi Fi team,

To further extend the query about the mag in Singapore, I cant seem to find the mag in Malaysia as well. The last issue on the news stand was the issue on technology for 2011 back in Dec or Nov in 2010.

Did the local Malaysia distributor stop ordering from UK and replace with ones under the ASEAN edition because those are the only ones I see now on sale.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
I don't know all the detail of our overseas distribution: i'll flag this up to our circulation team.

But to clarify something, the mag you mention seeing late last year would have been our Ultimate Guide to 2011 New Technology - this is an annual publication, not a regular issue of the magazine.

Thanks Clare, yes thats the last magazine under the WHF UK edition that was available here. No other further issue of even the normal monthly WHF magazine can be found in Malaysia for the past few months (and I routinely visit the bookstore/news stand that usually sells them). Stacks of the ASEAN version can be found though.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the publisher for the ASEAN version of the mag has folded.

The Jan 2011 issue has not being released as yet. The last issue on the stand in Singapore is still the Dec 2010.

I already got the Feb 2011 UK issue.

So, Alvin and El, if you are a regular reader, do yourself a favour.

Subscribe to the UK edition and it will be delivered to your mailbox (not email BTW) and the charges per copy is cheaper than last time buying the UK editon mag from the shop. Only S$12.xx compared to the ASEAN edition that is already S$12. Just wish that they have those subscrption offer like free HDMI cable as well. ANd hope no more bad weather issue or lost posts. Not sure the subscription price for Malaysia though. Please check out the subscription page.

I have asked about the ASEAN publisher by leaving post on the lcoal forum where they used to post when a new copy is released. But no reply for a long time. Therefore, I have given up hope. Just annoyed that I have missed the Jan 2011 issue due to them.

So Clare, any way to buy issue for the Awards 2010, Dec 2010 and Jan 2011 UK edition issues for your publisher Haymarket? Just can't stand the ASEAN edition where they do not convert the pricing (especially those on the review paragraphs) to local currency. Just the price of the unit only. Very bad execution by the publisher if you asked me.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Whoever who used to bring in the UK edition stopped bringing in the UK edition since the Awards 2010 issue. The last UK issue was the Nov 2011 issue. This is due to the release of the ASEAN edition and I guess due to the price, more people buy the ASEAN version for some time and therefore, they stop bringing in the UK edition.

And now we are left with no UK or ASEAN mag at the stands.

So, you can follow what I mentioned, subscribed to the UK edition.

Should be cheaper than buying from the local stands for Malaysia as well.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
This was exactly my fear. The ASEAN publisher went all out to protect their business, claiming that the ASEAN region will benefit more buying their magazine because it features a more localised products where it is available in the local market. The ironic part of it, the ASEAN version is only MYR 5 (1 GBP) cheaper than the UK version, with less number of pages and product showcase. I only bought the ASEAN version twice then stopped because they are making profit from the hardwork put in by WHF UK journalist/writers/editors as some of the content in the ASEAN version is a direct copy and paste. I can accept it if it is half of the price of the UK version but heck, for 1 GBP cheaper, I rather buy the UK version.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the ASEAN publisher is just

EDITED BY MODS - please moderate your language

. What local contents do they have other than some local advertisement? And they do not fill all the available advertisment pages? There are many blank areas waiting for advertisers. They do not do their own review of any product available locally as well.

Basically the ASEAN edtion is a failure and based on the subscription pricing you get by subscribing to to UK edition, the ASEAN edition is both overpriced and lesser contents.
emotion-45.gif

El Hefe:This was exactly my fear. The ASEAN publisher went all out to protect their business, claiming that the ASEAN region will benefit more buying their magazine because it features a more localised products where it is available in the local market...

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
BTW, UK edition of the mag still avilable at the book stores at Singapore airports (have to check in).

These are air shipped to Singapore and not through the normal importer, I believe.

So the only way to buy (if you do not want to subscribe) is to get from the airport if you are leaving the country.

I hope UK What Hi*Fi? or whoever approves the local publisher to publish the local version of the mag will be more stringent in selecting these local publisher in the future. Making sure that the local publisher are cabable of doing a good job of carrying on the What Hi*Fi? brand name instead of making a fool of the local readers.

Don't think other lcoal publisher from other countries had these issue like the ASEAN one.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It doesn't mean no way at all. Why on earth do you think I would have given you those contact details otherwise?

I/we have no means of taking a credit card payment, so our subscriptions/back issues people are the only way to do this.

If you have mailed them in the past with no response, please send your request to us at the usual contact address, and I'll make sure it's passed on to the subscriptions department.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Also an update on the WHF Asean issue from our international team. The magazine is no longer being published. We hope to explore other options in the area, but in the meantime will be making more copies of the UK edition available in the region. Please be patient while this situation is sorted.

Worth noting again that an overseas subscription remains the cheapest - and quickest - way for you to receive the UK issue every month
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our circ team are in discussions with local distributors re getting the UK issues back on shelves, but there's likely to be a slight gap while any new arrangement gets sorted.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to mention that local newsagents here in Perth, Australia still have the Dec 2010 (UK) edition in stores. One newsagent informed me today that the Jan 2011 edition is expected to be available within the next few days. Eagerly anticipating the day when we can subscribe to a digital copy of What HiFi and read the up-to date edition, rather than being behind by 1 to 2 months.

A

Anonymous

Dear Editor and WhatHifi readers,It's sad to learn that Whathifi Asean publisher has ceased the publishing operation. While subscription can solve the issue of grabbing a copy of the mag, what else can be done to get hold of the January edition?

This is frustrating because I am eager to see the featured product in that copy, and now I have no way to read it.

Have a great day, everyone.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AKMH:Just wanted to mention that local newsagents here in Perth, Australia still have the Dec 2010 (UK) edition in stores. One newsagent informed me today that the Jan 2011 edition is expected to be available within the next few days. Eagerly anticipating the day when we can subscribe to a digital copy of What HiFi and read the up-to date edition, rather than being behind by 1 to 2 months.

Yes, our publishing team is investigating this in response to the thread you started earlier.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlvinCWC:This is frustrating because I am eager to see the featured product in that copy, and now I have no way to read it.

AFAIK all the reviews from the January issue are now on the site.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your reply. Yes, the reviews are now on the site, but info from the site doesn't include some system matching. I am no hi-fi expert, that is why i find that the system matching on each issue to be interesting.

Also, on the January issue, Bowers 684 was featured. As a new owner of the speakers, I would like to know what matches the speakers/ the entire system well, their drawbacks, and hopefully, to upgrade my current system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts