M2Tech Young dac vs Leema Elements dac

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Been quiet of late enjoying the Arcam gear and getting my head around digitising my CDs.

The help from you all was brilliant so I now have about 200 CDs ripped (only 800 to go!) to Apple lossless on a Synology 212j Nas being run via a Sonos connect. All sounded great, easy to set up etc but I had a niggling feeling tha my CDP player was still a bit better, so I thought I'd get a dac.

I also have a Leema Elements en route to me for home demo but it has got a hell of task as the M2 Young DAC is just superb! The soundstage is expansive, the lows clear, fast and punchy, lots of air and space in the mix and detail is sublime. I'll report back onthe Leema when it turns up next week.

The best thing about it though is that I am not really analysing the music, just really really really enjoying it! The wife and I switched back to the CDP after a few tracks and the A/B was so obvious, she felt that the CDP just sounded flat and lifeless compared the dac and I had to concur!

I've only had it for 1 day but all I can say it WOW!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought you might like a quick update on the dac situation so here goes.

The M2Tech Young Dac is just superb. So much so that I've flogged the CDP and am now using my bluray as a transport. That said, all the music is being fed via the Sonos now...

The Leema turned up this afternoon and has been on constantly for the last few hours. It is brand new so I guess it will need a little running in but cold first impressions is that it sounds a little brighter (in a good way) and other than that, it sounds great. Maybe a smidgen broader soundstage, slightly more pronounced midrange and great bass weight. I'll leave it on over the weekend then try an A/B test and report back.

Love getting new gear!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Right, so I'm going to keep the Young dac although it was a close call. I've had the Leema running constantly since Friday evening so it easily has 48hours on it now. I am hoping that is enough for a fair comparison.

Love the features of the Leema as it has loads of inputs, a remote, display off options and of course can be used as a pre amp but bottom line is, it just doesn't sounds as exciting as the Young. I found myself analysing music with the Leema as it does pull out amazing levels of detail but when listening to music as a whole, it sounds a little recessed as the soundstage is not as expansive as the Young nor does it sound quite as dynamic. You almost forget there are speakers in front of you with the Young.

They both sound good at the bottom end, with lots of depth and control, vocals sound good on both, probably edged by the Leema actually. I'm struggling to write what I hear but you can almost hear the air/rasp in the throat of the singer if that makes any sense?!

Build quality wise, the Leema is a little cheap and cheerful and although front facia is good quality, the case rattles and resonates if you knock it with your knuckles! It does however have a proper power lead so beats the Young there as it comes with a really cheap and nasty plug! The Young certainly looks different on the rack and is built extremely well, but I prefer the looks of the Leema as it looks like proper hifi to me.

Both these dacs a worth a listen if you are after something different from the norm (Rega or Audiolab M-Dac) but for me, in my room with my system, the M2Tech Dac is the one for me!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry you aren't getting any feedback, but I'm glad you persisted as your findings are interesting and are likely to prove useful to others.

Cno

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
No worries, wasn't expecting the usual amount of chatter as neither of the Dacs I have been really focused on are that popular I guess. I'm sure if the title was rega vs m-dac there would a few opinions! :)

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
A very interesting review. I was actually considering one of these 2 dacs before I upgraded my cdp as I was considering streaming instead. I think eventually I might still do it but in the end it was my lack of computing (in particular networking) knowledge that put me off. I guess I feel more comfortable with plug in and play.

What cdp did you end up selling if you don't mind me asking?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ben K.

i sold my Arcam CD17 as it was totally outclassed by the Young dac. I did listen to a couple if other CDP a while back that I wasn't massively impressed by compared to the cd17 (Audiolab and roksan) but I guess you cd38 is the next level up from those.

The whole nas/Sonos thing is quite easy to do really as there are loads of helpful folks on here and countless how to videos on YouTube that got me through the transition!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh god, I think I've changed my mind! The Leema seems to have opened up and the soundstage has really broadened!

Just goes to show that even dacs need running in properly!

Hello Mr. Vain. ;)

Personally not had very good experience of dacs but your testiment of the Leema is food for thought.

Love the idea of dacs but a little man inside me goes :shame: so I've always stepped back a little. I've never heard of the M2Tech Young. Who makes it?

I'm off to play some Carly Simon. :bounce:

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha, I am indeed.

I shied away from the usual suspects after reading of your experiences along with others with the Rega actually hence looking at these dacs.

M2Tech are an Italian manufacture and the Young dac has had some rave reviews on a few of the other forums. I got it on home loan from Keith at Purite Audio (all packed now to be shipped off to him in the morning). Give him a call if you fancy trying it out. It does look a little unusual though with the red led digits! It is an exciting listen but as mentioned above, the Leema now sounds just as exciting but with more detail.

I know what I want, and I want it now...etc!

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Nice thread but noticed quite a switch, is always good to get time with new equipment.

Did you consider any other dac's before you settled on these two, I am still looking and will be looking to demo the Naim V1 dac as soon as I get time.

I have not heard either of the two you have been testing, have heard Rega, Audiolab, Musical Fidelity and Exposure so far, I really liked the Exposure but I think the MF Clic has the best dac I have heard so far.

Glad you are enjoying your new box.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I was really surprised in the end as I really thought I would go with the Young. It is a great dac and gave me all the qualities I was lacking with my old set up. But, the Leema always had more detail and after a decent run in, it really did open up the extent to make me change my mind!

I read lots about the usual suspects, the Rega and the m-dac, but wanted something that I could build my system around in the future (ie a good pre amp) and didn't feel that either of these were quite right for that. I saw the Leema for a good price so arranged for that to come home with me (albeit after a weeks delay) and had heard a lot of good things abut the Young. I really wanted to listen to the Exposure but couldn't find anywhere local and when Keith from Purite Audio suggested he send me the Young to listen to, it started from there.

I managed to source both these dacs for under a grand and although the Naim looks good, it was over budget so out of the equation for me. Same goes for the MF Clic.

Will you do home demos of the finalists back to back?

nemo077

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just read your comments. I hope you haven't buy yet. Because I think you haven't heard totally the young. Do you know that the young is only really complete when you buy the additional Palmer power station designed for the young?

that's the reason of that cheap power transfo given with the young alone. With the Palmer power supply the young is really much better: more details, more open, more subtile, goes further in high and low frequency...you should try it before making your final choice I think...

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
nemo077 said:
Hi, I just read your comments. I hope you haven't buy yet. Because I think you haven't heard totally the young. Do you know that the young is only really complete when you buy the additional Palmer power station designed for the young?

that's the reason of that cheap power transfo given with the young alone. With the Palmer power supply the young is really much better: more details, more open, more subtile, goes further in high and low frequency...you should try it before making your final choice I think...

Hi Nemo,

I was aware of the Palmer but that on top of the price of the Young would have come in over budget unfortunately.

I chose the Leema due to this as well as the extra functionality, connectivity and the sound of the Leema. It was a close call though!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Have you tried the Metrum Octave Mk2?

Nope, never heard of it before I'm afraid! If you are in the market for a more exotic dac, you should have a chat to Keith at Purite Audio. Very knowledgable and they offer foc home demos.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
BigH said:
Have you tried the Metrum Octave Mk2?

Nope, never heard of it before I'm afraid! If you are in the market for a more exotic dac, you should have a chat to Keith at Purite Audio. Very knowledgable and they offer foc home demos.

I'm not after one, just read lots of reviews/forums etc and the Metrum Octave Mk2 is considered about the best under £1,000 along with the new John Kenny which is only about £460.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame the power supply took the Young over budget, with this it's sublime.

I have been considering cutting down my box count and have been looking at DAC/AMP options (As i really want to upgrade my amp with my new PMC Twenty23's now), but i know that i won't find one with a DAC section to match the M2Tech Young.

So it's a keeper for me and now i'm looking for an amp upgrade on it's own. Need 2 pairs of terminals on the amp so that's limited the search but i think i might have found my new amp in the way of the Exposure 3010S2 :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You're right about the amp/DAC thing Gary, it will always be a compromise putting them both into one box even if you're willing to spend good money.

I decided to keep the DAC seperate from the amp but then my box count is really only 3, occasionally 4 when I have the urge to drag out my old CD spinner for a bit of nostagia ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts