M-DAC vs Naim Uniti vs T+A Receiver (The Start)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
It’s Murphy’s Law. I’m well acquainted with it. And I should have suspected.

I might have mentioned previously that I had problems with my Linksys router since dabbling with it in preparation for the NAS installation and network streaming. Everything actually still worked except that I could no longer access the web-based admin/config screens – everything I read on the ‘net said: “you’re stuffed mate!” It would be a factory default reset and hope I could re-configure. This is not something I have done in years!

So, my computer-savvy mate was due round last night. I was picking up the first couple of hi-fi demo boxes straight after work. I had umpteen ferrets to attend to in the absence of Herself. Time was going to be short.

It got shorter. Whilst in Music Matters, firkling for my credit card in my wallet to secure the loan of the kit, I noticed that my debit card was missing from its slot. Strange, I knew used it over the weekend. I got home by about 5.30pm and then wasted the best part of the time to gone 7pm trying to track down the errant card and then admit defeat and cancel it. Oh, and then there were the furry carpet sharks to be ministered to. Needless to say, by the time my friend arrived I had not eaten and had only just managed to carefully extricate two enigmatic boxes from their packaging.

My friend, bless him, finally departed after 10.30pm with my sincere thanks and mission accomplished. It’s amazing (oh really?) how long IT can take to sort out, but eventually all systems were talking happily and behind the layered defence grid.

Ah well, as it’s a week night and getting late it was time for bed then…oh, go on…just one quick listen. After all, I’ve still not eaten!

As it was the smaller of the two, and also I had planned to do it this way around, the Audiolab M-DAC was already in-situ, merely needing a quick link up of the cables and away to musical bliss.

First impressions (fresh out of the box, never been played): I can hear Raj from Big Bang Theory cry: “oh, it’s dinky!” Heavier than it looks, the M-DAC is a very purposeful looking compact box that calmly exudes solid quality. It is just a tiny bit larger than my Cambridge Dacmagic, but feels like my Primare kit. You wouldn’t want to drop it because it will damage something! Knowing my luck it would be a broken toe followed by a nasty dent in our nice new floor!

Having played Melody Gardot’s My One And Only Thrill and also Worrisome Heart albums earlier in the evening from laptop-based Winamp via USB to Dacmagic, I thought I might as well continue in the same vein. It is interesting to note at this point that my IT friend had already commented on the great sound issuing from my current system, but with the rider that he thought it a bit bright. A result of the new laminate flooring? Maybe due to his younger years and ears? Hard to say.

Anyway, I linked everything up but this time chose to use the NAS-based music storage and music player through my laptop…just to prove it works.

OK, it is not a proper side-by-side test at this point, but I have to say that my initial impression is that the sound has more substance. The detail is still there; indeed, I think I was beginning to hear even more nuances. But there is more body – a fuller sound. It seems to have greater impact and presence in the room. Preferable? Not sure – yet.

I put the CD version into the Primare and did a few rudimentary comparisons, switching from one to the other. Hmmm, there is a difference. I need to listen more, but there’s a subtle difference between the two. Again, I am unsure as to which I prefer. I can’t even put it into words at this point. Maybe later on when I return home and listen again.

In the meantime, brooding on the living room table, lurks an altogether different black box. The Naim Uniti (sadly not the Uniti 2) lurks menacingly, straining the structural integrity of our dining table. I was told Naim kit likes to be warm before it will perform at its best: that Naim doesn’t ‘do’ standby – the green award is not something it aspires to. So, as soon as I got home yesterday, I hefted it from the large package and plugged it in. It will have had over 24hrs of warming up by the time it is called into the arena. I daren’t even look at the electricity smart meter!

At some point this evening, if the great British motorway network allows, a nice man from Avoke will arrive at my door bearing the third (black?) box to compete for my affections: the T+A Music Receiver. I must say that I am looking forward to the contest between the two all-in-ones.

But prior to that, once I have tended to the furry horde that infests our premises, and maybe slung some food into my own gullet, I need to give the Dacmagic, the Primare CDP and the M-DAC a work out. Maybe even feed the CDP through the M-DAC? And then there are the balanced interconnects and coax cable to try and the filters and… There should be time if I leave work promptly.

Of course, maybe Murphy knows different…

Reactions: Horowitz

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
The Naim Uniti (sadly not the Uniti 2) lurks menacingly, straining the structural integrity of our dining table. I was told Naim kit likes to be warm before it will perform at its best: that Naim doesn’t ‘do’ standby – the green award is not something it aspires to. So, as soon as I got home yesterday, I hefted it from the large package and plugged it in. It will have had over 24hrs of warming up by the time it is called into the arena. I daren’t even look at the electricity smart meter!

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

In my two year experience of Naim (Nait 5i/CD5i/NAT05) 15 - 20 minutes to warm through will be fine. The NaimUniti bucks a lot of the old Naim 'lore' (a lot of it perpetuated by dealers or people who are thinking about much older Naim gear.)

The last time I powered on a NaimUniti (with PMC DB1is at a demo) there was only a small 'click' through the speakers rather than the loud 'crack' that older Naim amps used to make.

Make sure the Uniti is switched off before connecting everything up though.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
shooter said:
Looking forward to the Naim ~ T+A shoot out... :dance:

Oh, so am I, you can be sure - let's hope it's no anti-climax. :pray:

Tonally your comparing your Primare amp and cdp with the Naim and the T+A and your ProAC's, the ProAc and Primare combo is a great one. Naim ~ ProAC seem to work, not sure on the T+A ~ProAc , should be really interesting.

Have you got much time with the demo gear?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Brilliant and funny! (Generally what they say to a book review but I never really agree with many of those reviews but in you case it is truly true!)

Having hears Primare before, ex owner of Proac D2 and still owning the M-DAC I would say that the M-DAC + Proac would be a great combination with Primare amplification being as transparent as possible in between.

I am glad to read that DacMagic will be gone (such a relief.. It is great for entry level but for any one, let us say with more than 1500 Pound speakers, should start with Audiolab M-DAC, IMO. Full bodies but detailed enough especially at its price point, I know why it is the DAC of the year ;) )

Please do try the Balanced XLR on M-DAC They sound more full bodied than otherwise.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
Have you got much time with the demo gear?

I will return them by Tuesday next week, but won't get as much opportunity to put them through their paces as I would like beyond tonight, tomorrow night, some of Friday and also (hopefully) Saturday morning. Mind you, it might not take that long! :)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
Brilliant and funny! (Generally what they say to a book review but I never really agree with many of those reviews but in you case it is truly true!)

Having hears Primare before, ex owner of Proac D2 and still owning the M-DAC I would say that the M-DAC + Proac would be a great combination with Primare amplification being as transparent as possible in between.

I am glad to read that DacMagic will be gone (such a relief.. It is great for entry level but for any one, let us say with more than 1500 Pound speakers, should start with Audiolab M-DAC, IMO. Full bodies but detailed enough especially at its price point, I know why it is the DAC of the year ;) )

Please do try the Balanced XLR on M-DAC They sound more full bodied than otherwise.

Thanks
smiley-embarassed.gif

In fact, the Dacmagic was originally paired with my Marantz CD63 KI Sig and Audiolab 8000S, and then relegated to BDP, V+ box and computer music streaming duties when I purchased the Primares and the Proacs. It's done a good job to-date, but let's just say it's time to explore other possibilities.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
I put the CD version into the Primare and did a few rudimentary comparisons, switching from one to the other. Hmmm, there is a difference. I need to listen more, but there’s a subtle difference between the two. Again, I am unsure as to which I prefer. I can’t even put it into words at this point. Maybe later on when I return home and listen again.

My (slightly obvious) advice, would be not to change until you find something that is consistly and noticeably better (ie. more enjoyable).....and not just different.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
The lesson and moral of this story so far is: never go into an audition with preconceived ideas. I will attempt to write something up over lunch.

Oh, and never even give a thought to the value of kit you have on loan, particularly when driving it home in 5 o'clock traffic! :O

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Day Two (in tha house)

The Audiolab M-DAC was, in some ways, an unfair inclusion in the auditioning – it was never going to be a likely contender, assuming the other two boxes lived up to their press. However, I must say that I like what I hear from it. But is it worth the extra over and above what the Cambridge Dacmagic offers? After all, it doesn’t offer LAN connectivity or even a HDMi input. Yes, the sound is noticeably improved as previously mentioned, but worth the price differential? That’s a good question. I swapped from RCA output to balanced XLR whilst waiting for the rep from Avoke to arrive with the T+A Receiver. To be honest, I can’t swear there was much, if any, difference.

Maybe if I get time before Tuesday I will see if the M-DAC can actually enhance the performance of the Primare CDP – the Dacmagic didn’t.

But onto the ‘main event’: the streamers. Of course, if plans had not succumbed to Murphy’s Law, I would have had chance to listen to the Uniti on Tuesday evening. This was not to be. So, with the arrival of Chris from Avoke, we plunged straight in to set up of the T+A, leaving the Naim sulking on the dining table.

First impressions? Bah, what’s with the silver and black livery?! Not to worry, it comes in 12 combinations, including all-black. Each is manufactured to order, so if I want one I can have the colour I want. That aside, it is a dauntingly chunky box to gaze upon. It looks solid and heavy, but I was surprised to discover it is not as heavy as either the Primare I30 or Naim Uniti. And, due to its construction, its footprint is actually less, too. I reckon it would fit into my existing cabinet in place of the Primare boxes with no problem.

Set-up was quick enough: one generic power lead (my Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha borrowed from the CDP), one LAN cable and the speaker cables quickly plugged into the terminals. The unit soon acquainted itself with my network and announced itself ready, identifying my laptop and NAS drive as music sources. Sorting through the music options by artist, Chris selected 21 by Adele and we were away. She burst into life in my living room, loud and very clear. In deference to our ears and conversation, I turned down the volume to more (er, spouse-friendly) levels until Chris departed for home (poor chap had travelled straight up from a stint in London, breaking his journey to deliver the T+A box before finishing his homeward leg).

So, what do I think thus far? My first reaction was: “Wow!” The initial burst from Adele was almost overpowering, but I put that down to the volume. I resorted to a more modest setting and accessed my favourite test album: My One And Only Thrill by Melody Gardot. The opening track, Baby I’m A Fool, was unleashed into the room with unsurpassed width, height and depth. The detail and clarity, together with sense of space and separation took me by surprise. What a soundstage! Not only that, but it captured the breathiness and nuances of sexy ‘lip-smackiness’ as she crooned into the mike. The zing and ting of the cymbals were greater than before. My existing system conveys them well, but not this well. Noticeable now was the absence of slight sibilance to the upper end.

However, and it is a nigglingly big however, I also began to become aware of something else: maybe, just maybe, the sound is too clean, too precise? Does that sound daft? I would have read back the threads related to this enterprise, but maybe I was warned of a lack of warmth – the possibility of an overly analytical presentation? I wonder whether this could get tiring over an extended listening session? Oh, and just to try out the theory about wooden floors (OK, laminate, if you must!) I brought a double duvet down and laid it down, rug-like, in the centre of the room. Hmmm, not sure it really helps (and don’t tell the OH!) So, onto the Naim Uniti, waiting impatiently in the wings…

The Naim Uniti is a chunky black monolith in a solid, broodily understated but also uncompromising way. It is low-slung and has an air of meaning business. The heft of it belies the nominal 50W output. To be honest, I’ve not even had time to consider if it fits physically and practicably into the space it might occupy. But let’s bridge that cross when we get to it, eh?

Set-up was just as simple as with the T+A box. Then it was a fumble with the weighty remote to find the right music (that’s right, the User manual is for emergency use only!) The Naim remote is a world away from that of the T+A version – slim-line, less buttons to stab at, and likely to do you an injury if you drop it on your foot!

One final push of a button and Melody fills the room once more. Well, that’s not entirely true. It might be the difference in volume between the two units, but my immediate impression is that the sense of scale has diminished. What comes to mind is a smoky, intimate club – maybe appropriate for the genre? The sense of space and full room height is reduced and, surprisingly, I find myself warming to the sound – I am actually liking it. Despite my expectations I find myself enjoying the Naim! It’s warmer and more rounded, retaining the detail but adding more substance and balance. For longer listening sessions I believe it is the easier option. So what might the Uniti 2 be like?!?

Therefore, as we head into Thursday evening’s listening session I am surprised to discover that the Naim is currently nosing ahead against all expectation. It is driving the ProAcs with no obvious effort. What I need to do is put both through their paces with a good cross-section of music types. OK, so the Naim sounds great with Melody Gardot’s style, but what about a large-scale orchestral work or maybe some rock or electronic or acoustic guitar? We shall see.

Some extra comments: the T+A remote looks and feels surprisingly cheap, possibly because there is an expectation that iPad apps and such like are going to take over, so why waste money on the packaged remote? It is also cluttered. Both units suffer, if that is the word, from menu systems that appear to be less than (dare I say it?) ‘spouse-friendly’. Continuing on the same theme: the Uniti has an ‘on/off’ switch located at the rear of the box itself – hardly helpful. And what’s with the magnetic puck thingummy? I can just imagine my OH expressing her opinion on such a feature if I decide to keep the Uniti.

But I tell you what does impress me: the Synology DS212j feature set. Late last night I discovered that, rather than peer myopically across the room at the dimly seen screens of both T+A and Naim to figure out what to play, all I have to do is mouse click on a Synology Audio Station setting and I can shove whichever tracks I fancy at either streamer with ease. I can cue up a playlist on the hoof – marvellous!

So on to this evening’s session…

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting review, thanks. Sounds like you need to have some extended sessions with both to see if they are fatiguing and can handle all music you like. I follow with interest :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
However, and it is a nigglingly big however, I also began to become aware of something else: maybe, just maybe, the sound is too clean, too precise? Does that sound daft? I would have read back the threads related to this enterprise, but maybe I was warned of a lack of warmth – the possibility of an overly analytical presentation? I wonder whether this could get tiring over an extended listening session? Oh, and just to try out the theory about wooden floors (OK, laminate, if you must!) I brought a double duvet down and laid it down, rug-like, in the centre of the room. Hmmm, not sure it really helps (and don’t tell the OH!) So, onto the Naim Uniti, waiting impatiently in the wings…

But I tell you what does impress me: the Synology DS212j feature set. Late last night I discovered that, rather than peer myopically across the room at the dimly seen screens of both T+A and Naim to figure out what to play, all I have to do is mouse click on a Synology Audio Station setting and I can shove whichever tracks I fancy at either streamer with ease. I can cue up a playlist on the hoof – marvellous!

So on to this evening’s session…

This most certainly does not sound daft.

IMO. A sound that is too clinical and analytical, can be devoid of emotion and hard on the ears over a longer listening period.....I try to avoid it at all costs, and is why I threw the Linn DS into the mix. It (imo) manages detailed but musical and organic but exciting.

The other thing I agree with, is how quickly you get comfortable with the convenience of "music at the click of a button".

I look forward to the conclusion.....just don't get paralysis by analysis!!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Day Three

I got home from work, returned a storage cabinet from the front room to its accustomed location next to the hi-fi, ministered to the manic mustelidae and prepared a bite to eat for myself without Murphy’s attention. It was looking promising.

Whilst the Krazy Gang let off steam (and I dined) I experimented with internet radio and also feeding music from the Synology to the T+A. Classic FM selected from the T+A menus sounded good over the Ethernet – very clear and free of interference or drop-out. However, try as I might, I couldn’t quite get my head around setting up the internet radio on the Synology Audio Station and pushing it to the receiver. Maybe I will have to do some reading on that.

After an hour of typical ferret loopiness, I figured it was time they were rounded up and put to bed so that I could get on with more serious business without interruption by nosey critters. This was accomplished with greater ease than this morning, but that’s a different tail (ahem!)

I began to put the T+A Music Receiver through its paces. Starting once more with Melody Gardot (purely because I love the album and am familiar with sound), I tried the first three tracks again. Yep, same crystal clear delivery, sense of three dimensions and general space and separation. The wall over 5m away from me was filled with sound and detail; the track name was readily viewable on the large, clear display from where I sat. But I was not smiling. There was something not quite right.

Whether it is the synergy with the ProAcs, the room acoustics, the speaker cable or whatever, the T+A was conveying too much brashness combined with a sibilance that marred the top end. Indeed, based on my previous experience with Naim amps, this is what I had expected from the Uniti. The T+A was beginning to disappoint me more. It was ‘shouty’ and forward and lacking in an overall balance that would give an underlying warmth and body. Quite simply, I began to believe the performance lacked ‘soul’. It put me in mind of something I came across not long back: the idea that a computer or robot might be able to play even the greatest and most complex of the classics, but would never be able to convey the feeling behind them.

In an effort to turn things around, I installed a couple of quilts on the floor in place of rugs we don’t yet have, and even hung one from the pictures on the largest expanse of wall. I then turned to the speaker cables (at least there was no need to muck about with interconnects!) I had hooked up the QED Silver Anniversary XT pair. I now replaced them with the ‘Mussels from Brussels’ LC OFC pair I have been using this past year. Any difference? Nothing of note. Maybe a reduction in the reverb in the room as a whole, but the disquiet remained.

Ah well, maybe it’s time to move on to some other albums to see what genres the T+A presents well. Possibly a touch of Gordon Giltrap’s As It Happens – great for spoken word and a range of acoustic and electric guitar. Oh, and the recording of Rimsky Korsakov’s Scheherazade to demonstrate the power and scale of a decent size orchestra. The latter should be a good start…

“Argh! Turn it down! No, turn it off!” Maybe I now have an understanding of what Herself hears when she walks in on me when I’m enjoying some music at ‘proper’ levels! It was simply too much. The first movement is full of strings and brass. The T+A was unrelenting in its delivery; nothing was held back. Much, much too harsh and quite simply overwhelming. No, it was no good; if the T+A couldn’t deliver one of my favourite classical pieces in a listenable fashion it was, I’m afraid, curtains. No more testing for the German gear – the red card was out.

And so back to the Uniti. The changeover is simple and quickly accomplished. It’s straight back to Scheherazade for direct comparison. True, it’s not easy to get exactly the same volume from the two different devices, but even so, the difference in presentation is remarkable. The Uniti delivers the brass and strings with a sense of control and balance. Yes, the overall soundstage is diminished and the sense of scale a little less, but the listening experience is not necessarily the poorer for it. The brass and strings no longer completely dominate the listening experience; the underlying warmth of other aspects of the orchestra are allowed to play their part. I begin to smile and nod.

Moving on, I play tracks from the Melody Gardot album, MOAOT, and once more enjoy the balance of clarity with warmth and well-controlled lower registers. It’s only when listening to the Uniti that I truly appreciate the sparseness of the T+A performance. I navigate through the Synology menus and on goes Gordon Giltrap: whilst not quite giving the impression of him being live in the room, it’s close. There’s a sense of presence and connection as he introduces his next piece to the audience. The acoustic guitar is clear and, having been present at two of his gigs in recent years, close enough to the real thing to please. The Primares with the ProAcs are good, but they’re not this good!

And so it goes on: I start selecting tracks from across our collection, almost at random as I think of music I want the Uniti to entertain me with. Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No.4; Queen’s Innuendo and I’m Going Slightly Mad; Jean Michel Jarre’s Oxygene IV (30th Anniversary Remaster) and Chronologie Prt 8; The Beautiful South’s Old Red Eyes Is Back, Pink Floyd’s Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dream Theater’s Scenes From A Memory, a couple of tracks from the Beatles…

…I keep feeding them in: “oh, go on, just one more!” I was going bedwards by 10pm at the latest (I promised myself after two previous late nights) but it was past 11 when I finally tore myself away. Yes, I was enjoying the re-discovery of my CD collection, albeit ripped to flac files and played over the Ethernet cables from a box of bits and bytes. One final thing, almost forgotten in the fun of browsing the giant juke box: I put Caro Emerald’s CD in the funky swing-out drawer and plonked the magnetic puck in place. Cor! Not heard A Night Like This quite like this! Why, oh why, do I have to go to work in the morning?! Ah, that would be to help finance little luxuries like this!

So, there you have it. The Naim wins. England triumphs. Pressaging the Euro 2012 Final perhaps? Yeah, right! However, in my living room the pride of Germany was sent packing by a ground-breaking English product that is what, about 3yrs old now? The Naim Uniti doesn’t compete in terms of stylish, classy looks, its display is too small and looks incredibly dated, you can have any colour so long as it’s black, the CD tray is rather peculiar, and you can crack walnuts with the remote. But it performs beautifully in my home environment, coping with and presenting a wide variety of music styles and recording quality such that even with the poorest it digs out something to make me smile and nod. I am amazed. At the beginning of the process I never imagined that I would like the Uniti, let alone consider it as a possible purchase in preference to the more modern visitor from Europe…but there it is.

Or is it? What about Herself? Will she be happy with such an unfamiliar and quirky device? The Primare’s weren’t greeted with enthusiasm due to their industrial looks and also the slow CD tray (“Spit! I say, spit!”) I just know that she won’t like the rear-mounted on/off switch (and I know that if the Uniti is used in my absence it won’t get switched off!) The magnetic puck for the CD tray – that’s going to be a bone of contention – “Why have such a silly feature? Does it really need that?” The menu system on that tiddly green display: even I don’t like that! To avoid that you need to use a computer-based piece of software and even then there’s the internet radio to master. Well, at least she knows and likes Spotify, so might be able to accept that last wrinkle. I’m sure there will be other aspects.

Still, at least there’s the upside to consider: it’s one box instead of three; it fits exactly where the Primare amp sits; it sounds even better than the Primares at spouse-friendly listening levels (amazingly); there’s just one relatively simple remote; bye-bye to umpteen cables; there’s no CD tray delay (ah, but it does take time to acquire the network); if I master the software systems and they’re easy enough to use, we can store most of the CD collection away; and it’s unassuming in appearance.

Of course, there is one more thing to consider: the Uniti 2. It’s new and unproven. Is it “new and improved”? If I can get the original at a discount due to the new arrival, should I even consider the tweaked 2012 version? Would it be worth splashing the cash for the youngster? Maybe the next step is to demo the new kid on the block? Or do I need even better speakers? You see? Where does it all end?

So, whilst I ponder those imponderables, I think that when I get home I will take a rest from the Music Receiver conundrum and play a bit more with the M-DAC. Not, you understand, because I plan to buy one. No, it’s more out of curiosity and maybe a sense of fairness – the poor thing never really stood a chance against the Naim and maybe I should try it once more as an add-on to my existing kit.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
As Columbo would say: "Just one more thing, sir."

I may have been a touch harsh on the T+A Music Receiver; it might simply be that its presentation does not suit my home listening environment. A room with better acoustics, or even a different pair of speakers might have a very different result.

If you get a chance, give it a chance.

Oh, and I almost forgot...it is just about 1cm too wide to fit conveniently into the available space in my cabinet. But that, in no way influenced the decision. Honest. :)

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. I have owned a few systems over the years, including MF and Cyrus. Whilst Naim has been bettered in HiFi terms (clarity, soundstage etc), nothing has come near to making music as enjoyable as my current setup.

That said, my old Olive system just made me want to dance or play air guitar, and I sometimes regret getting rid ever since.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Is that game over, or are you still waiting "waiting for Godot?"

I must admit that it would be interesting to listen to the original Uniti against the Uniti 2. But as far as the T+A is concerned it is definitely 'game over'. I will be interested to hear what kind of deal is offered on the Uniti now it's successor is on the scene.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts