LS50 or LS50W

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Pig ugly but terrific sounding (imho).

One of, actually probably THE highlight of the Bristol show for me, especially if vfm is taken into the equation. Even without that, they hold up to systems far, far higher up the price scale.

I can't imagine many would need any more than these.

KEF ... make a magnetic speaker grill for these and offer them in all black or, failing that, with a silver cone. Failing that too (!) ... at least offer the gold/Black version in active! - Are these guys blind?

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Still haven't unboxed them yet haha.
Going to record a video of my experiences for Youtube. Cannot do that until around 6-7 pm tonight. That is where the fun will begin :D

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
First impressions in. Focus and clarity/soundstage is top notch. This is only playing at night time levels so not hardly on at all.

Bit of an odd one though. Even at that volume, with no music playing, you can hear a buzz coming from both speakers.
Would this be normal? Not loud but it is listenable up close.

Bass doesn't seem as high impact as I was expecting (again, I was listening at very low volume). I will update later.
So low infact, that I couldn't even see the q driver even moving, so hopefully this impression will change.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kage said:
Bass doesn't seem as high impact as I was expecting (again, I was listening at very low volume). I will update later. So low infact, that I couldn't even see the q driver even moving, so hopefully this impression will change.

What stands are you using and are they filled (if so, with what)?

What are you using between the speakers and the stand?

Are the stands very stable, with no wobble?

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hey, I'll know more later when I come to test them at bigger volumes.
I had the app though set to Extra so it should have been exerting the most bass it could.
Felt some notes in the bass register though fell flat, when my Tannoy M1s though stopping at 48hz, did those notes (though that said, I have to have the amp on full bass to even hear full bass)
Again, could be the volume.

As for the stands, they'll be delivered in a few days.
Had it set to desk mode and away from wall (they were in open space) though I had a good play around

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kage said:
As for the stands, they'll be delivered in a few days. Had it set to desk mode and away from wall (they were in open space) though I had a good play around

IMO. The LS50s are very sensitive to how they are set up. They are really a mini reference monitor, so don't make any judgement on what you hear with them plonked on a desk.

- If your stands are fillable, do so with Kiln Dried Sand (further dried in the oven).....to about 75% (or less if the bass is too much)

- If you have a suspended wooden floor, you need to isolate the stands from it

- If you have carpet over conrete, then spikes are good

- Use Blu-Tak (4 small P-sized balls/speaker) to stick the speaker to the stand; or better still: http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/speaker-stand-isolation-gel-pads-pack-of-8/accessories_atacama-accessories?pp=24

Sorry if you know all this....but as somebody that owns LS50s, I have gone through the process. The one thing they don't lack is bass (for their size)...and that is in a large room of about 15' x 20' x 11'

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the comments :)

I'm hoping the stands do something but I may have found a better sound output for the desk they are on currently.

They are nearfield though and will mostly be used for that purpose. They are actually heavier than I expected so moving them about to different rooms, i.e to add to the Ps4 etc on maybe the stands may prove to be actually quite tiresome haha.

I doubt the stands would work in this room without a major overhaul, but I may have them in the other room for the most part soon.

They are growing on me. They seem to lack a midbass hump (as I heard in reviews) but I didn't know my Tannoys offered more of that, but as I said, changing the settings somewhat has helped, and they need warm up time too.

I can actually switch between both speakers at the minute as I have them next to one another, and it is quite startling how closed the Tannoys feel, and what I thought were crystal clear, are actually almost veiled

​ONE odd thing though... Isn't there a Windows app for changing the settings whilst in USB mode? (how they are currently).

​You need to be in wireless mode to use the phone app, so you can't change settings on the fly, which is a tad bit odd, but I guess I can always play music through Spotify/Tidal and then switch back to USB.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kage said:
​ONE odd thing though... Isn't there a Windows app for changing the settings whilst in USB mode? (how they are currently).

​You need to be in wireless mode to use the phone app, so you can't change settings on the fly, which is a tad bit odd, but I guess I can always play music through Spotify/Tidal and then switch back to USB.

I own the passive version so can't help, I'm afraid.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Wow!

Brought them over to my parents (trying to avoid every bump in the road haha as their are many).

Put them on stands my dad has as I'm still waiting for mine and.... wow.
No other words for it

The bass is superb. No idea why the bass isn't there with my placement at home but these are only set to standard, with +2 treble in this room and it is just right.
Set it to extra and I feel they get too boomy in here.

So yeah! Happy as, I'd put swear words but I cannot haha

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kage said:
Wow!

Brought them over to my parents (trying to avoid every bump in the road haha as their are many).

Put them on stands my dad has as I'm still waiting for mine and.... wow. No other words for it

The bass is superb. No idea why the bass isn't there with my placement at home but these are only set to standard, with +2 treble in this room and it is just right. Set it to extra and I feel they get too boomy in here.

So yeah! Happy as, I'd put swear words but I cannot haha

I'll refrain from saying, I .........*wink*

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
They sound much bigger than the speakers themselves. Room filling.
They like to be played loud though. Shame, I feel that with neighbors with plasterboard walls, I could never get to the volume I did there.

So impressed though. Cannot wait for the stands.
They quite tall?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kage said:
So impressed though. Cannot wait for the stands. They quite tall?

If you are getting the Kef Stands, they were designed for them....and 24.6" looks about right for having the Tweeters near ear height when seated.

They can also be filled. Should be perfect.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Ahh cheers :)
I'd worry about putting spikes on carpet haha but one room is carpet over concrete.

One issue I'm actually having now is with the right speakers cat5 connector. I'll see if its just the cable, but I press the button down to release the hold on it and I have to pull to get it off, whereas the left speakers terminal just releases easily

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Finally got the Custom LS50 stands!!! Took a while due to posting issues.

Erm... How many pieces do you get haha.

I'll attempt to build later and post up a piccie.
No way am I putting those spikes through the new carpet though

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
I'm kind of in a position of unknowingness.

Tried the speakers in my conservatory on stands, away from the windows and even up close.
I've tried them in the front room (where they could never be) and they sounded better, but they don't sound half as good at my house as they did at my parents.

I'm just not falling in love with them. My Tannoys however I did (maybe because they were so cheap)

So I'm not sure what to do.
Kind of tempted to sell and aim for headphones instead as I'd at least be able to listen to music more :(

Contact your supplying retailer and ask for some advice on getting them to work in which ever room you want them to work in - it’s what they’re there for, and presumably why you bought from them! We can only make recommendations, but the best recommendation is from the retailer in your space - hands on experience is needed to help sort this out.

Some speakers just won’t work well in some rooms, either due to the physical construction of the room, or it’s size.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO. The LS50s are very sensitive to how they are set up. They are really a mini reference monitor, so don't make any judgement on what you hear with them plonked on a desk.

For anyone who does want to run a pair of these on a desk, IsoAcoustics offers some neat and quite inexpensive desktop stands which make a big difference.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Kage said:

Tried the speakers in my conservatory on stands, away from the windows and even up close. I've tried them in the front room (where they could never be) and they sounded better, but they don't sound half as good at my house as they did at my parents.

I'm just not falling in love with them. My Tannoys however I did (maybe because they were so cheap)

So I'm not sure what to do. Kind of tempted to sell and aim for headphones instead as I'd at least be able to listen to music more :(

LS50s of any variety are not easy to get right, the passive versions need seriously good (absurdly so) amplification and they all require careful setup and a sympathetic room. If these conditions are not met, you are likely to be dissapointed.

For about half the regular cost of the LE50ws, you could get a high performance pre-amp/headphone amp, some stellar headphones and a decent pair of active speakers that would be great for background and more general listening.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Kage said:

Tried the speakers in my conservatory on stands, away from the windows and even up close. I've tried them in the front room (where they could never be) and they sounded better, but they don't sound half as good at my house as they did at my parents.

So I'm not sure what to do. Kind of tempted to sell and aim for headphones instead as I'd at least be able to listen to music more :(

A conservatory is always going to be a challenging space acoustically-speaking. Too many hard, reflective surfaces. Can you tell us a bit more about the space and maybe post some photos?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Kage said:
As for the stands, they'll be delivered in a few days. Had it set to desk mode and away from wall (they were in open space) though I had a good play around

- If your stands are fillable, do so with Kiln Dried Sand (further dried in the oven).....to about 75% (or less if the bass is too much)

- If you have a suspended wooden floor, you need to isolate the stands from it

- If you have carpet over conrete, then spikes are good

- Use Blu-Tak (4 small P-sized balls/speaker) to stick the speaker to the stand; or better still: http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/speaker-stand-isolation-gel-pads-pack-of-8/accessories_atacama-accessories?pp=24

Sorry if you know all this....but as somebody that owns LS50s, I have gone through the process. The one thing they don't lack is bass (for their size)...and that is in a large room of about 15' x 20' x 11'

Agree with CNO, good stands, filled and isolate from floor if needed. i use polypods in stead of blue tak.

No problem with decent bass from these in my loft.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Weirdly enough, I placed them in the corners rather than at the ends, so they are at an angle to the glass around it.
Performance is a bit better but this isn't realistic positioning.

I'll post images later on of the room.

Moving my computer down there as well as where my dance machine is haha, so maybe I'll get some more time to listen

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
The conservatory is a pavillion so the roof is plastered so it isn't as bad as it could be.
Would getting blinds/curtains help the sound much?

I would put the spikes through the carpet but its a new carpet and so is the underlay, but it is concrete.

As for the sticking the speakers to the stands, they have little stands anyway to stop the bottoms rubbing on a surface. Would sticking them down really help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts