LS50 or LS50W

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,

At the moment I have a pair of Tannoy Mercury M1s and a Cambridge Audio A500r (Only paid £50 for the 2) Seems to match really well but I'm wondering if in my main listening room to get the LS50s.

I think the LS50s would be my end game.
My only thoughts are passive, or active?

My only worry about the active is the internals. What if they go before the speaker and out of warranty?
Can probably pick up a pair on ebay for around £1,600 (new at £1,999)

Or do I buy the passives (can be found for £500-£600 on Ebay) and then get a dedicated amp/DAC that'll push them just as well for a similar price or cheaper with the backup of extra warranty for the seperate parts?

My thinking is to opt for the active, but I want your opinions.

I'm impressed with my Tannoys. They seem to have a lot of micro detail but it is my first real system. I know a lot better exists out there and if these LS50s are as good as I think they are, I probably won't need anything else.
My system before was... a Logitech Z5500 I used as a 2.1 system pretty much all of the time so... yeah these M1s blow them out the water obviously.
Just don't know I guess what to expect moving up.

insider9

Have you heard either passives or actives? I'm not a fan based on what I've heard from passive LS50s.

Especially if you're looking to buy them second hand there are many far better speakers around that price. I know many rate them but still don't know why. Whatever you do make sure you listen to them before making your mind up.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Have you heard either passives or actives? I'm not a fan based on what I've heard from passive LS50s.

Especially if you're looking to buy them second hand there are many far better speakers around that price. I know many rate them but still don't know why. Whatever you do make sure you listen to them before making your mind up.

I have the passive version and as per sig are on the end of an Arcam A49. They really do sing in this set up. Not heard the actives.

jjbomber

Kage said:
I think the LS50s would be my end game. My only thoughts are passive, or active?

KEF make brilliant speakers, but the jury is still out on amplifiers and software. The only real advice is to listen to them both in action. I've heard the KEF actives and the passives on the end of a Heed Obelisk with PSU. I preferred the latter.

To me the problem with active systems has always been that the best loudspeaker companies don't make amps, and the best amplifier companies don't make speakers. (OK. Leema Acoustics for the smartass at the back of the class). So actives may be the flavour of the month, but so were graphic equalisers in days gone by. Only you can judge what's best for you.

Finally, if you are going to a dealer for a demo, at least give them the chance to price match. They are running a busines not a charity. If they won't or can't price match then fair enough, but at least give them a chance to earn your custom.

Kage said:
My only worry about the active is the internals. What if they go before the speaker and out of warranty? Can probably pick up a pair on ebay for around £1,600 (new at £1,999)

Or do I buy the passives (can be found for £500-£600 on Ebay) and then get a dedicated amp/DAC that'll push them just as well for a similar price or cheaper with the backup of extra warranty for the seperate parts?
Why are you worried about them going wrong before the warranty is up if you’re looking for a second hand set, which will have no warranty at all?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Kage said:
I think the LS50s would be my end game. My only thoughts are passive, or active?

KEF make brilliant speakers, but the jury is still out on amplifiers and software. The only real advice is to listen to them both in action. I've heard the KEF actives and the passives on the end of a Heed Obelisk with PSU. I preferred the latter.

To me the problem with active systems has always been that the best loudspeaker companies don't make amps, and the best amplifier companies don't make speakers. (OK. Leema Acoustics for the smartass at the back of the class). So actives may be the flavour of the month, but so were graphic equalisers in days gone by. Only you can judge what's best for you.

Finally, if you are going to a dealer for a demo, at least give them the chance to price match. They are running a busines not a charity. If they won't or can't price match then fair enough, but at least give them a chance to earn your custom.

The pro audio world must be experiencing a long month at present *smile*

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Ooo I hadn't even heard of the black edition until now.

My go to test location would probably be Richer Sounds but they do not have the LS50s at all in, nor the wireless versions.

Would places allow me to take my M1s and match against them?
Like I said, my experience with high end audio is limited but I feel like I know what to listen out for.

I don't even know why the Kef Ls50s are on my short list but for one I love the look of them, and 2, the amount of positive reviews I have read.

The actives are meant to sound a lot deeper, because of the DSP and matched amps/dacs.
That is why I guess my eyes are moving towards them
(Oh and I love the black with the blue driver)

As for the warranty aspect, good point, but I have seen one or two with warranty still intact.
I have just read a few horror stories so far of the actives suddenly dying for reasons unknown, so wondering if because it is all in one box, it is more of a risk.

I'm certainly not rich. I just want to get a good setup that'll last me for a very long while. i.e if they died out of warranty after a few years, I couldn't necessarily go out and buy a new pair without saving a bit.
Passives on the other hand come off rather indestructable but it is of course the separate amps/dacs instead that you have to worry about.

Gray

You seem to have set your sights on some LS50s, based on how they look and other people's opinion of their sound.

As for your budget, you've mentioned figures between £500 and £2000 - that gives you plenty of options for some decent speakers from other brands.

My advice would be: Don't limit yourself - to just Richer Sounds - or to just one model of speaker - at least until you've heard it and some alternatives. A decent dealer would have no problem with you comparing your speakers so that you can appreciate the differences.

Is your amp good enough? All part of the audition process.

I'd love to have had your sort of budget to spend on my second pair of speakers (wouldn't mind it for my next pair!) Speaker sound is such a subjective thing. Whatever you do listen to potential choices - and make it money well spent.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
What other locations exist in the UK with test rooms? I only know of Richer Sounds haha.

The Dali Senzor 3 and Bronze 2s also have rave reviews.

As for my amp powering them, I wouldn't plan on it.
I would have to get a new amp for them which is why I'm wondering to just go for an active set whereby everything is plug and play.

I do love my Tannoys though in all honesty. I have no idea what else music would be missing if anything, but I really want to know :) *downward spiral*
The bass goes deeper than the Logitech Z5500 sub so I definitely do not need one with these.

My Tannoy Mercury M1s actually only cost me £20, and the A500r cost me £30.
A grand total of £50 was spent on it haha.
Why I'm going to opt for the Dragonfly black 1.5 or red if I find it for cheap enough, as they are running straight from a built in sound card right now.

D

Deleted member 160668

NEITHER. No way in the world you should think about dropping up to £1600 blind without hearing these plus many others to see what floats your boat.

Thats a lot of cash to go in blind. You could buy so many different combos of kit.

Go out, trial stuff, listen, test, enjoy, and if you land on LS50’s then you know 100% that you picked right (for you). Otherwise you’ll always think.. I wonder if those are better/worse than mine.

record_spot

Broadly speaking, I'll take actives any day of the week over their passive brethren. Have a listen to the active model if you can, also try and seek out some others to hear too. I used to own Acoustic Energy AE22 actives, moved house to a smaller lounge and now use just a pair of Quad 9as actives and a Cambridge 752BD. That's the system. I'd maybe swap out the Quads, in time, but for now, they're ideal. Work well with music and movies (thanks to their onboard DAC, I can hook my TV straight into them via optical) so they're fine for now.

They replaced an Onkyo TX-NR818 amp (which was terrific) but these days, neater solutions and no sacrificing the sound quality. Hear some actives, they're far more than flavour of the month.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I heard the Wireless this w/end but couldn't compare them to the passive.

Very good.

Also, there was no hiss close up. Not a given with all actives.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
I sort of ordered the LS50 wireless in black with blue sound blind lol...
From what I have heard and read I can't be going much wrong and if they are as good as people are saying, I won't want anything else.

I hope KEF offer an aftersales after warranty soon. They are apparently in talks.

They also throw in a pair of custom 250 quid stands too where I got mine from so I don't think I got a bad deal.

I could have waited for it to show up on ebay but then I def wouldn't have warranty or less of one.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks I will do. I'll no doubt write a review of some kind. Maybe even a Youtube video. We'll see.
They should blow my currents out the water, and my dads Kef Celeste's too haha

So it has cost me £2k (couldn't find them cheaper) but I got £250 stands and free delivery

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kage said:
Thanks I will do. I'll no doubt write a review of some kind. Maybe even a Youtube video. We'll see. They should blow my currents out the water, and my dads Kef Celeste's too haha

So it has cost me £2k (couldn't find them cheaper) but I got £250 stands and free delivery

I enjoyed the Kef Celeste 3 from back in the day....I remember them on display in a Hi Fi shop in Cambridge, with a Rega Planar TT (can't remember the amp), playing Dire Straits Communique album...they left an impression.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I saw the LS 50 'Black' in Bristol.

By far the best looking version imho.

I did ask a KEF guy if there are plans to bring the active version out in all black but it looks they will continue with the annoying coloured cones.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
I know, he has a pair of Celeste IIs. I was impressed a week or so ago when I played a track (can't remember what) and parts made me turn my head. I could hear music almost at the right/left of me even though the speakers were in front. Weird sensation but loved it. Hoping these LS50s can do that and more.

Should arrive tomorrow and the stands a few days later.

Got to hand it to the guys at Hifonix. They've kept me up to date with the entire order etc.

Just hope now DPD deliver it all in one piece (or well... 2)

watch this space

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts