Loud buzzing from 42GT30

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

I just have a query for the WHF team or anyone else who can help. I had a picture issue with the first GT30 i purchased from Richer Sounds and so i got a replacement last week which picture wise is great and shows little sign of the issue i had with the last one but over the bank holiday weekend this one has developed a very loud and off putting buzzing sound so i'm after some advice before i go back to Richers with yet another problem.

The tv has a loud buzzing that is always audible no matter what is done to the picture in the settings menu and isn't drowned out even when i have my surround speakers on. I appreciate that some buzzing is to be expected when you own a plasma but this is beyond what is acceptable and very off putting, it's not just during quiet moments either as it's always the dominant sound in the room and it's driving me nuts! The first GT30 i had never had this issue but as it had a picture issue i'm unsure if this is just how the tv is day to day or wether or not this is a fault.

It's a long trip for me back to Richer Sounds and means alot of hassle for a 3rd time hense why i'm asking for some advice before i contact them. The tv speakers never drown out the buzzing unless something like motor racing is on the tv where the buzzing sound is matched by what's going on onscreen and when watching movies with the surround speakers on the buzzing is clearly audible unless the action hots up on screen and the sound finally gets drowned out but unless it's all guns blazing on screen the buzzing is still the dominant sound, is this right??

Any help would be really appreciated, it may even be my hearing, i hope not!

Thank you.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I had two panasonic plasma tv's, both had a buzzing sound. I had to return both sets and eventually swithced to an LED tv. The panasonics seem to have a major problem with this issue. Incidently, the salesman at Richersounds told me of this issue when I was buying my LG LED.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
SonofSun said:
I had two panasonic plasma tv's, both had a buzzing sound. I had to return both sets and eventually swithced to an LED tv. The panasonics seem to have a major problem with this issue. Incidently, the salesman at Richersounds told me of this issue when I was buying my LG LED.

Many thanks for the reply.

It's good to know it may not be my hearing but it still doesn't explain why the first tv was wisper quiet and this one is like a buzzing peice of industrial equipment :? in all other respects i'm really happy with the tv but the constant buzzing is really getting to me, it's at such a high pitch that it's very difficult to drown it out. I've tried contacting Panasonic this morning but their call centre isn't even taking calls today, you just get an answer machine, obviously due to the bank hols but it's not good customer service. Just wanted to get their opinion (no action needed as i will go back to Richers) as to what was going on and if this level of buzzing is acceptable?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Blimey, I can't believe you're having another TV problem - what a pain for you! (Are you sure you didn't offend some great god of TV in a previous life?!?!)

We certainly haven't had bad buzzing on any of the new Panasonics we've had in - and we spend a large part of our testing time with the volume muted, so we can concentrate on the picture performance plus pick up any untoward noise from sets.

I'm starting to worry you're buying from a bad batch :cry:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Blimey, I can't believe you're having another TV problem - what a pain for you! (Are you sure you didn't offend some great god of TV in a previous life?!?!)

We certainly haven't had bad buzzing on any of the new Panasonics we've had in - and we spend a large part of our testing time with the volume muted, so we can concentrate on the picture performance plus pick up any untoward noise from sets.

I'm starting to worry you're buying from a bad batch :cry:

Yep i'm not a happy chappy Clare, as you can imagine.

I think the tv god has decided that this year is my year....i certainly feel picked on right now! :cry:

I managed to get through to the Panasonic call centre just a few moments ago and they said it could be interference so i've unplugged everything apart from the aerial and it's still there loud and clear. Chris from the Panasonic call centre said that they recommend being 10ft away from the tv and after measuring my seating position is just over 10ft away so it's not my seating position either.

He also said that if after unplugging all but the aerial and having the volume at 1/3rd of it's max, if i still heard the buzzing it could be indicitive of a problem. After doing this the buzzing is still clearly audible....i just don't beleive my luck!

I guess it's time to contact Richer Sounds but if, as you fear, i have been on the receiving end of a bad batch what can i do now? I love the tv and don't want anything else but this is an issue that i simply can't live with...what would you recommend i do next?? :?

Many thanks Clare for the reply and for clearing up that the review sample showed no sign of the issue, as ever it's much appreciated thank you.

Regards,

Nick.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I know it's a total pain, but i'd recommend that you ask Richer Sounds to unpack your replacement TV so you can test it in store - both for any buzzing and the earlier picture issue you experienced. If you're happy with the set, pack it back up and take it home. Not ideal, I know, but could save time/trouble in the long run.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
I know it's a total pain, but i'd recommend that you ask Richer Sounds to unpack your replacement TV so you can test it in store - both for any buzzing and the earlier picture issue you experienced. If you're happy with the set, pack it back up and take it home. Not ideal, I know, but could save time/trouble in the long run.

Thanks Clare.

I'm dreading the call to Richers as to have a problem for a 2nd time is just unbeleivable but i'm simply not happy with the issue so back to them i go. I will see if they can test it before i take it this time, providing it gets replaced of course, and fingers crossed that it's 3rd time lucky...what a pain though as the store is a good hours drive away, it's so frustrating and getting expensive now :cry:

Many thanks for the advice, really appreciate it :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Just an update to the thread:

I have spoken to Richer Sounds this morning about the issue and they are happy to replace the tv for a third time after i explained the situation to them. Only problem is that they currently have none in stock so i'm going to have a week or two's wait to get another replacement but judging by Clare's fears of me receiving a bad batch that might not be such a bad thing as at least i know the third one won't be from the same stock as the previous two i have had and hopefully, fingers crossed, fault free but only time will tell!

Will update the thread once i have the new one but for now many thanks to Clare for the advice and support, you are a star :dance:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're happy to help in any way we can - even if it's just providing sympathy for your run of bad luck!

Top marks to Richer Sounds for customer service - hopefully they'll have a new shipment in soon so you don't have to wait too long.

From what I understand, the buzzing seems to be a transformer/power issue with some plasmas - we've had it with a few, older models, but nothing recently.

Keep us updated. If I get a chance to mention this issue to Panasonic over the next few days at IFA, I may ask if they've had any abnormal level of reports re this particular problem...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info Clare,

If you do get the chance to have a word with Panansonic whilst you are at IFA that would be really helpful thank you.

Ooops i forgot to mention Richer Sounds in my previous post...they have been stellar throughout and a big thank you to all at Richer Sounds for their continued patience and understanding with the issues i have had with the GT30, i can't fault the customer service i have received and i'm so glad i shopped there in the end even if it has clocked up the miles in the process....it has been well worth it.

I just hope i have been unlucky and that the next one is problem free...i have faith that it's third time lucky so will keep you posted, very many thanks again.

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Wow Nick, you've been really unlucky so far, 3rd time lucky hopefully. I know what its like, I used to have a Samsung 50B8000 that had countless engineer visits, before I got a full refund. The frequency of the buzz seems to be heard over everything as you said. Fingers crossed the next one will be 100%

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep, gutted!

If it's not 3rd time lucky i'm giving up and buying something else...what though is another question, i'll worry about that IF it happens. You are right it's the frequency of the buzzing that makes it so hard to drown out...it's just infuriating and the first one i had was wisper quiet, you never knew it was on, but this one is like having wasps or bees stuck in the tv and i just can't live with it although it takes 10 - 15mins for it to start.

Someone up there just doesn't like me it seems but i've got everything crossed that when i get one from the new batch that i have no further issues...perhaps i'm cursed?? :rofl:

D

Deleted member 2457

I had the 42V20 and the 50V20 for a short while last year and the 42V20 definitely was buzzing a lot more than the 50in one. And there was quite a few members on here reporting loud buzzing coming from the 42in one. I hope they can sort you out this time. :pray:

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Don't say that gel...now i'm worried lol.

:) They do it on the Pioneer at 42inch a lot more as well, hopefully it will be more quiet like your first one.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Update:

I have finally got another replacement but had some problems with Richer Sounds in getting it, to cut a long story short, after waiting almost 2 weeks for the tv to come back in stock i hadn't heard from them so after many calls yesterday i find out that the tv came back in stock 4-5 days ago and that one was put aside for me but no-one decided to call me to tell me...no idea why?

Anyway apart from the annoyance of the lack of a simple phone call the exchange went smoothly and Richers were at least apologetic and i got a blast of the onkyo 609 amp in the demo room which has convinced me to change my denon 2310...yet more expense but well worth it imo.

Got the new GT30 wall mounted last night and i'm happy to report that there is no loud buzzing coming from this one, just the normal low level slight hum that i expected and not the wasp trapped in can i had with the last one so i'm happy. Interestingly though the picture is noticably better on this one too, not in a PQ way, but more that i had noticed a few lines on the last one which were very similar to the issues i had with the first faulty set which had a horrible dark line along the left side of the screen. When motion panned horizontally there were quite a few vertical lines noticable across parts of the screen but there are no signs of these on the new tv which has really pleased me as that had become annoying too.

It may well have been that i was on the receiving end of a bad batch as Clare suggested as the quality of the image with motion on this tv is more like i expected from the WHF review and the various auditions i had prior to purchase, i don't want to jinx it just yet as it's still early days for this tv but it's much better than the first two and i'm alot happier!

My experience has perhaps pointed towards some quality control issues with panasonic though because all three tvs have been so different in quality, just something to be aware of if you are thinking of buying one maybe? Of course i could have just been incredibly unlucky yet again as the tv god has not been kind of late :D

The GT30 is still a fabulous tv though and i have to say i'm extremely happy i bought one despite the issues...in the end it was well worth it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Update:

I have finally got another replacement but had some problems with Richer Sounds in getting it, to cut a long story short, after waiting almost 2 weeks for the tv to come back in stock i hadn't heard from them so after many calls yesterday i find out that the tv came back in stock 4-5 days ago and that one was put aside for me but no-one decided to call me to tell me...no idea why?

Anyway apart from the annoyance of the lack of a simple phone call the exchange went smoothly and Richers were at least apologetic and i got a blast of the onkyo 609 amp in the demo room which has convinced me to change my denon 2310...yet more expense but well worth it imo.

Got the new GT30 wall mounted last night and i'm happy to report that there is no loud buzzing coming from this one, just the normal low level slight hum that i expected and not the wasp trapped in can i had with the last one so i'm happy. Interestingly though the picture is noticably better on this one too, not in a PQ way, but more that i had noticed a few lines on the last one which were very similar to the issues i had with the first faulty set which had a horrible dark line along the left side of the screen. When motion panned horizontally there were quite a few vertical lines noticable across parts of the screen but there are no signs of these on the new tv which has really pleased me as that had become annoying too.

It may well have been that i was on the receiving end of a bad batch as Clare suggested as the quality of the image with motion on this tv is more like i expected from the WHF review and the various auditions i had prior to purchase, i don't want to jinx it just yet as it's still early days for this tv but it's much better than the first two and i'm alot happier!

My experience has perhaps pointed towards some quality control issues with panasonic though because all three tvs have been so different in quality, just something to be aware of if you are thinking of buying one maybe? Of course i could have just been incredibly unlucky yet again as the tv god has not been kind of late :D

The GT30 is still a fabulous tv though and i have to say i'm extremely happy i bought one despite the issues...in the end it was well worth it.

Ah nice one - congrats. :grin: Yeah the one I had sounded like a wasp too. :)

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see you're sorted Oldboy. This is what tends to happen with Panasonic, you get good ones
and bad ones. That is precisely what happened with me, and why I'm on TV #7!

I've had pixel faults taking the panel out of tolerance - flashing ones aren't allowed in their spec.
One rogue one which would cause red/green contouring with any motion. An overbright one that
has set off a migraine condition. And one that had so many pixel faults, I thought it was coming
down with measles! :p
This is even before we move on to the disaster of the 2010 range. :roll:

The retailer and Panasonic tend to get annoyed with the customer when they get through so many.
That is hardly fair when the quality control seems so lax - in my opinion. Panasonic get very very
upset when you make complaints : you swear the customer was at fault! :O

There should be no such thing as whole batches going wrong - that smacks of bad Quality Control.
The 'green splodge' problem would seem to be such a QC issue.

I think What Hifi should try to source review stock independantly, that way they can experience
the samples that real customers end up with!
:poke:

A

Anonymous

StanleyAV

I agree about your point about where WHF get their sets from for their reviews!! And if they do get them supplied by the manufacturer then I think this is wrong, I think all reviews should be from stock we are buying into and not a set that may well be hand picked by the manufacturer to show the set at it's best (which of curse it should be across the board).

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
Glad to see you're sorted Oldboy. This is what tends to happen with Panasonic, you get good ones
and bad ones. That is precisely what happened with me, and why I'm on TV #7!

I've had pixel faults taking the panel out of tolerance - flashing ones aren't allowed in their spec.
One rogue one which would cause red/green contouring with any motion. An overbright one that
has set off a migraine condition. And one that had so many pixel faults, I thought it was coming
down with measles! :p
This is even before we move on to the disaster of the 2010 range. :roll:

The retailer and Panasonic tend to get annoyed with the customer when they get through so many.
That is hardly fair when the quality control seems so lax - in my opinion. Panasonic get very very
upset when you make complaints : you swear the customer was at fault! :O

There should be no such thing as whole batches going wrong - that smacks of bad Quality Control.
The 'green splodge' problem would seem to be such a QC issue.

I think What Hifi should try to source review stock independantly, that way they can experience
the samples that real customers end up with!
:poke:

I have to agree! From my experience this year i can safely say that the 3 tvs i received were of very different quality, don't get me wrong they were all built solidly and identical to look at in every way but there were definately large differences in the quality of image and with the noise coming from the tv.

I'm struggling to find any other cause to these issues other than problems in manufacture but one thing did spring to mind when i picked up the tv from Richers...i noticed that a few tvs weren't being brought out from the back of the shop correctly, they were being brought out on the end of the box rather than upright and that got me thinking.

Can storing or even transporting tvs incorrectly cause issues such as the ones i and you have experienced to develop? There is quite clear warnings on my tvs box about how it should be transported BUT it only states not to lay it flat on it's front or back and i was careful to keep the tv upright on my journey home but it did make me wonder just how much damage could be done if tvs were transported or stored in this way??

I must admit to feeling sad about your continued issues with your tv and the lack of a response from Panasonic, i trust there is still no movement from your retailer? It does seem to me that they may have labelled you a troublesome customer which may go some way to explain their respose so far but that would seem harsh and ridiculous to me if that were the case because if they supplied a decent example of the tv in first place you would be very happy, it's not as if anyone WANTS to go through this ammount of hassle!

No customer should be forced to take a lottery when purchasing a new tv but that does seem to be the case of late and i'm not just blaming panasonic as sony are just as guilty with the flagship KDL55HX923 with it's line issues caused by the glue in manufacture plus of course the backlight issues of 09 which still rear their heads today, i'm not as aware of any issues from other manufacturers as i've not been on the receiving end but i'm sure they are out there.

QC is certainly an issue but perhaps we as consumers shouldn't be as surprised by this because when you are dealing in high volumes issues are bound to occur but i would say that the frequency of issues of late would point to QC issues and that too many bad examples are getting through the net.

As for WHF and their review samples there is one thing to bear in mind here and that's the potential cost to WHF if they had to buy each sample independently...the cost of the mag would soar to nearly £10 an issue as i couldn't see retailers lending out the latest models. Therefore the only option they have is to receive review samples from manufacturers and that is simply out of their hands, they can only review what is infront of them after all and you must remember that there has been many occasions when they have gone out and purchased tvs for review simply because the manufacturer has not been willing to provide a review sample.

I agree that in an ideal world real world retailer samples would be the best way to review a tv but is that really practical and would you be willing to pay the inflated price of the mag? It's an interesting question :grin:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw and Snakey,

Thanks alot for your comments and i'm over the moon to have seen an end to the tv saga this year, fingers crossed it stays that way but i'm not concerned as i've taken out a 5 year warranty with Richers, after all you just never know what might happen further down the line eh! :cheers:

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
OldBoy,

Still awaiting a considered response from dealer, they did chase Panasonic, who were none too helpful.
Their boss gets back today. Latest from Panasonic after complaining to their European CEO, was for
someone from their Legal and International affairs manager, to advise me to go to a local service centre!! :O

They don't half take the biscuit! :p Their grasp of how to deal with badly upset customers defies reason. :shame:

Note Mr king who posted on here was messed around badly, several board replacements on his
Panasonic Z1 TV which failed to fix the issue. The he had to fight for a refund, which he eventually got.

I have no wish to go through the motions of an attempted repair before finally hitting the crunch
moment that Mr King had with them! :silenced:

I know full well other corporations know how to roll out the red carpet and put things right when a
customer has been through acute aggravation with service or product.

I can put Microsoft in this category and in times past Sony (who once offered me a 15" replacement
for a 14" PC monitor I had trouble with.) I am even hearing goods things at Philips and their flagship
TV where customers have had bother.

If Clare or my dealer can work miracles! :pray: Then make it so........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts