Question Lossless or Hi Resolution Audio using Apple Music from Android (Samasung Galaxy S20) or iPad Pro 2nd gen to Soundbar JBL 9.1

schipor

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site
So I have the following burning issue:

My setup is the following:

1. Samsung Galaxy S20 with Apple Music capable of playing Hi-Res Lossless Audio and Dolby Atmos music

2. Apple Multiport USB-C - Digital AV Adaptor muf82zm/a that I used to connect the phone via a certified HDMI cable to the soundbar

3. JBL 9.1 Soundbar that has only HDMI in and optical in (and AirPlay2 and Chromecast)

So I connected the phone via adapter+HDMI cable to the soundbar, yet the sound does not seem to be right, compared to Chromecast directly to the soundbar.

My question is how can I transmit a Hi-Res Lossless 24bit/192 kHz and/or Dolby Atmos signal from my Samsung Galaxy S20 to my JBL9.1 soundbar.

I already ordered a USB-C to HDMI cable to make some extra tests and I'll update you with the results.

Also tried a similar setup with an iPad Pro 2nd gen, an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter with the same certified HDMI cable to the JBL 9.1 soundbar.

It does sound a lot better yet it does not want to play the Dolby Atmos content. (I choose to always play DolbyAtmos files in Ape Music settings and it skips over them)

Some help would be appreciated as I have already learned the importance of an external DAC yet putting one between the phone and soundbar would make no sense since the soundbar does not have an analogue input

*Edit 1: tried my luck with
a) Samsung Multiport Adapter EE-P3200BJEGWW, Type C/HDMI/USB + HDMI cable
b) Samsung DeX Cable EE-I3100FBEGWW (USB-C directly to HDMI)
with the same results
c) tried to fiddle into developer mode and sound settings

all without any success.

Attachments

• Adapters.jpg
    Adapters.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 3
  • the whole pack.jpg
    the whole pack.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tinman1952

So I have the following burning issue:

My setup is the following:

1. Samsung Galaxy S20 with Apple Music capable of playing Hi-Res Lossless Audio and Dolby Atmos music

2. Apple Multiport USB-C - Digital AV Adaptor muf82zm/a that I used to connect the phone via a certified HDMI cable to the soundbar

3. JBL 9.1 Soundbar that has only HDMI in and optical in (and AirPlay2 and Chromecast)

So I connected the phone via adapter+HDMI cable to the soundbar, yet the sound does not seem to be right, compared to Chromecast directly to the soundbar.

My question is how can I transmit a Hi-Res Lossless 24bit/192 kHz and/or Dolby Atmos signal from my Samsung Galaxy S20 to my JBL9.1 soundbar.

I already ordered a USB-C to HDMI cable to make some extra tests and I'll update you with the results.

Also tried a similar setup with an iPad Pro 2nd gen, an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter with the same certified HDMI cable to the JBL 9.1 soundbar.

It does sound a lot better yet it does not want to play the Dolby Atmos content. (I choose to always play DolbyAtmos files in Ape Music settings and it skips over them)

Some help would be appreciated as I have already learned the importance of an external DAC yet putting one between the phone and soundbar would make no sense since the soundbar does not have an analogue input

*Edit 1: tried my luck with
a) Samsung Multiport Adapter EE-P3200BJEGWW, Type C/HDMI/USB + HDMI cable
b) Samsung DeX Cable EE-I3100FBEGWW (USB-C directly to HDMI)
with the same results
c) tried to fiddle into developer mode and sound settings

all without any success.
I share your frustration with Apple’s implementation of Apple Music. I tried out a few things when it came out. The only way I could get 24/192 was from an iPad via CCK to a DAC via USB. The only way I could get Atmos was from an Apple TV 4K into my AV receiver…
Sorry I can’t be of more help…….🙁

schipor

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site
I share your frustration with Apple’s implementation of Apple Music. I tried out a few things when it came out. The only way I could get 24/192 was from an iPad via CCK to a DAC via USB. The only way I could get Atmos was from an Apple TV 4K into my AV receiver…
Sorry I can’t be of more help…….🙁

thank you so much for your reply. It matches my research so far.
I basically found every combination possible about HiRes Lossless and Dolby Atmos from Apple Music here:

To summarize:
1. HIRES Lossless only from iPhone/iPad + usb adapter + DAC + wired headphones/speakers = WIN
(Android will resample to 48kHz over USB/or wait for USB Audio Player Pro (bypasses Android OS Audio stack) to add Apple Music compatibility)
2. PC/Mac + DAC + wired headphones/speakers = WIN

Apple TV 4K Limited to 24-bit/48kHz but can play Dloby Atmos
AirPlay 2 Limited to 24-bit/48kHz
Chromecast Limited to 24-bit/96-kHz

As for my setup (Android to Soundbar) I will go with chromecast as it is the best case scenario and closest to perfection while keeping an eye for the future Apple TV that might be able to stream HIRes Lossless

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS