Lossless audio?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

canada16:
And my question after 4 pages of thread still has not been answered.

If I was a HiFi geek and had tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit, what type of audio, ie music would I play?

Would it be sacd, or would most people just get normal music from itunes ect..

Or is CD the best type of music for now? Not to offend the Vinyl lovers out there.

I just wanted to know what is the best format or best way of playing music so it sounds it best, without buying hi-fi kit

You would listen to music streamed off the internet at 320kbps as a minimum and wait for even higher bit rates and better codecs to appear. Everything else is old technology. You would do so with the highest broadband speed possible to a superb music processor/manager and DAC and amp and headphones or multi speaker system.

SteveR750

Gerrardasnails:mitch65:For me it wasn't a case of dropping CD in favour of streaming, I buy a CD (and will continue to do so), I copy it in FLAC format to my NAS drive which connects to my Uniti and plays it at 16/44.1 same as the CD I copied - simples!
Same here. The idea of buying a digital file of 320kbps from iTunes for more money (sometimes) than the CD itself is laughable.

+1

I have used gomusic.ru for several years, bigger catalogue at 1/10 of the prices, and most are available as 320kbs files.

SteveR750

idc:canada16:

If I was a HiFi geek and had tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit, what type of audio, ie music would I play?

Or is CD the best type of music for now? Not to offend the Vinyl lovers out there.

I just wanted to know what is the best format or best way of playing music so it sounds it best, without buying hi-fi kit

You would listen to music streamed off the internet at 320kbps as a minimum and wait for even higher bit rates and better codecs to appear. Everything else is old technology. You would do so with the highest broadband speed possible to a superb music processor/manager and DAC and amp and headphones or multi speaker system.

Well I wouldn't, and judging by the number of CDPs in sigs a significant number think the same, though the OP is confusing - you can hardly play SA-CD or indeed any CD without buying hi fi kit.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
SteveR750:idc:canada16:

Well I wouldn't, and judging by the number of CDPs in sigs a significant number think the same, though the OP is confusing - you can hardly play SA-CD or indeed any CD without buying hi fi kit.

Cart before the horse?

A

Anonymous

Well all the media I have gets converted to WMA anyway, so I am already going wrong if I cant convert those to FLAC.

So I can burn my cd's to FLAC using the program you mentioned then ilc ?

idc

SteveR750:idc:canada16:

I am assuming that the rich hifi geek would be an early adopter.
Streaming is the last format.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

I'd use which has been mentioned before dbpoweramp.

A

Anonymous

Cool thanks so much, will give it a go with my foo fighters cd

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
Well all the media I have gets converted to WMA anyway, so I am already going wrong if I cant convert those to FLAC.

Yes, that's why i mentioned it.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Tarquinh:Isn't he streaming to the DAC in his CD player, though?I think that 90% of his listening is with CDs.

Nearly. 95% CDs and 5% streaming Spotify. 0% lossless as it doesn't sound as good as CD so there is no discernible benefit in spending time ripping just for the convenience of not having to get off the sofa and put another CD in the tray.

nads

shooter69:canada16:

I'd use which has been mentioned before dbpoweramp.

when you burn a CD you make a CD. and a CDP will not play FLAC files. it needs WAV files.

converting any file to FLAC is pointless unless it is a WAV file or another Lossless file as you can not add data to lossey files.

A

Anonymous

nads:when you burn a CD you make a CD. and a CDP will not play FLAC files. it needs WAV files.No, it needs .cda files. Have a look at the file extensions on a music CD.

A

Anonymous

There seems to be a common misconception that .WAV files and music cd content are the same thing - they're not. .WAV is a flexible proprietary Microsoft standard for containing music in a variety of formats, and is the default music files will be stored as uncompressed LPCM within .WAV if copies are made with MS s/w from a music cd.

A

Anonymous

Having read most of the replies here and apart from my head about to burst, the question i will ask is very simple. Look at my kit, i want to just sit on my backside, press play and get the most enjoyable musical experience. Now to get that do i stick with cd ?

Thanks john.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:nads:when you burn a CD you make a CD. and a CDP will not play FLAC files. it needs WAV files.No, it needs .cda files. Have a look at the file extensions on a music CD.

Yes and now look at the size of the file, they're typically only 1 or 2 kilobytes, that's some compression ratio! .cda's are simply shortcuts created by windows so it can handle the individual audio track, they contain no audio data whatsoever. The audio on a CD is PCM.

A

Anonymous

Well aware of that. The fact remains without them you'll hear nothing. They provide the structure to allow your CD player to work.
Without them there would be nothing.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nope, sorry dude, the files don't actually exist on the CD at all and they certainly aren't required for an Audio CD player to play the CD. The Windows CD driver creates these files when an Audio CD is inserted into a (Windows) computer and, basically, pretends that the files are on the CD, when in actual fact, they aren't.

idc

johnnyjazz:
Having read most of the replies here and apart from my head about to burst, the question i will ask is very simple. Look at my kit, i want to just sit on my backside, press play and get the most enjoyable musical experience. Now to get that do i stick with cd ?

Thanks john.

Simply yes. The big rival will be streamed music but I do not see that doing to CD what happened to cassettes and other formats that have all but disappeared.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Nope, sorry dude, the files don't actually exist on the CD at all and they certainly aren't required for an Audio CD player to play the CD. The Windows CD driver creates these files when an Audio CD is inserted into a (Windows) computer and, basically, pretends that the files are on the CD, when in actual fact, they aren't.You are right, of course, BUT CD PLAYERS WON'T PLAY WAV FILES. That was my main point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts