Looks tasty...

scene:Yep, retro chic is back in I think! Though, at £2,500 quoted price I can't see me getting one any time soon...

Agreed: the price is steep
emotion-9.gif
But give it a couple of years and you'll probably see discounted models.

9903_1290010370.jpg

Oooo, that does look good though.

SteveR750

I love the look of brushed s/steel 70s Japanese gear - a couple of my uncles had pretty decent JVC and Pioneer systems when I was a teenager, and there is something pleasurable in something that is made with such precisions and sold feel to it. If hi fi was all about looks I'd have a house full of Pioneer and Yamaha stuff. I wonder if Yamaha will ever make laptops.....

What is interesting is how things come in full circle - 20 years ago anything with VU Meters anywhere near the signal path would have been laughed off the page as not even remotely serious, you can still switch off the displays of most CDPs, and amps have been bereft of tone controls for a generation now.

SteveR750:

I love the look of brushed s/steel 70s Japanese gear - a couple of my uncles had pretty decent JVC and Pioneer systems when I was a teenager, and there is something pleasurable in something that is made with such precisions and sold feel to it. If hi fi was all about looks I'd have a house full of Pioneer and Yamaha stuff. I wonder if Yamaha will ever make laptops.....

What is interesting is how things come in full circle - 20 years ago anything with VU Meters anywhere near the signal path would have been laughed off the page as not even remotely serious, you can still switch off the displays of most CDPs, and amps have been bereft of tone controls for a generation now.

I concur, it's come full-circle. I used to have one of those Pioneers BTW.

If we enter a period of retro looking stuff I'll be in seventh heaven.

big-142618_Picture%20001.jpg

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Not bad. I still prefer even the modern Luxmans and Accuphases, but I'll have to see if I can have a listen to one of these.

Going by prices in Japan, it retails for around 2,000 pounds and can probably get picked up cheaper, so hopefully UK prices should drop too (or maybe exchange rate will swing back in your favour)

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

PP: I have one of those ready for a buyer to pick up. I've had the SA-506 and sold it, now I'm selling an SA-606. Looking at your post I'm almost having second thoughts. These are such enjoyable amps!

Jack White:plastic penguin:

PP: I have one of those ready for a buyer to pick up. I've had the SA-506 and sold it, now I'm selling an SA-606. Looking at your post I'm almost having second thoughts. These are such enjoyable amps!

Had my SA-706 for 17 years and loved it. The only reason for change because it eventually died on me.

A

Anonymous

After 17 years already? Must have been a monday morning job...
emotion-2.gif

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi:I'm all for retro coming back, as long as they bring back the build quality with it!

Indeed, I bought a Pioneer cassette deck when I was a student in 1986 and it was utter rubbish. The Golden Age was well and truly over by then, Trio had changed their name to Kenwood, brushed S/steel had been replaced with dull charcoal grey plastic, and nobody weighted their knobs with flywheels anymore....(ooh er).

SteveR750:

FrankHarveyHiFi:I'm all for retro coming back, as long as they bring back the build quality with it!

Indeed, I bought a Pioneer cassette deck when I was a student in 1986 and it was utter rubbish. The Golden Age was well and truly over by then, Trio had changed their name to Kenwood, brushed S/steel had been replaced with dull charcoal grey plastic, and nobody weighted their knobs with flywheels anymore....(ooh er).

A sad day indeed.

Build quality is paramount and if you are going to put ruddy great VU meters on the front it's a good idea if they acurately display something useful! Most like the old 'signal strength' meters on tuners were utter tosh or outright lies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts