looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi ,

i am planning a 3d b/ray player purchase and would do with some expert advise:-

Got the lg bp350 (quite cheap) but realised why as soon as it was delivered. I was misguided that this unit would decode DTS-HD MA.....it doesnt...and returning it even before pluging it into my power.

Now am decieding on the PIONEER BDP 150.Please advise if i should go for it and advise if it really does DTS-HD MA AND DOLBY TRUE HD.Also how is the 3d performance. I am currently using an lg 47inch led full hd telly. and onkyo av rcvr.

My other question is......if i am connecting the blueray player and av rcvr using a sony hdmi high speed cable ( not sure if its 1.3 or 1.4) and rcvr to tv good quality 1.4 hdmi cable.is this in order or should both hdmi cables be 1.4,bearing in mind that we are looking for excellent 3d and the best audio possible.

Would appreciate all your guidance and advise.

Thanks/SAMEER.

D

Deleted member 2457

sameersuleman said:
Hi ,

i am planning a 3d b/ray player purchase and would do with some expert advise:-

Got the lg bp350 (quite cheap) but realised why as soon as it was delivered. I was misguided that this unit would decode DTS-HD MA.....it doesnt...and returning it even before pluging it into my power.

Now am decieding on the PIONEER BDP 150.Please advise if i should go for it and advise if it really does DTS-HD MA AND DOLBY TRUE HD.Also how is the 3d performance. I am currently using an lg 47inch led full hd telly. and onkyo av rcvr.

My other question is......if i am connecting the blueray player and av rcvr using a sony hdmi high speed cable ( not sure if its 1.3 or 1.4) and rcvr to tv good quality 1.4 hdmi cable.is this in order or should both hdmi cables be 1.4,bearing in mind that we are looking for excellent 3d and the best audio possible.

Would appreciate all your guidance and advise.

Thanks/SAMEER.

This review is quite useful:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/pioneer-bdp-150_Blu-ray-Player_review_operation-performance-and-verdict_Page-2

Just bought a Pioneer 55 and love it for 2D playback - works great!

You should be alright with the HDMI cables you have. There is a drive towards moving away from 1.3, 1.4 etc. nomenclature.

Check HDMI buying guide from hdmi.org:

Some people have the mistaken idea that they should be shopping for a particular version of the HDMI Specification, for example, HDMI 1.4. This has never been true. Instead, you should shop for the specific features you want, and make sure that those features are supported in all the HDMI devices you will be using.

For instance, if you want to enjoy 3D video, you need to make sure that both the TV and the source device (for instance, a game console or disc player) support 3D. If you plan to route the signal through an AV receiver, it also needs to support 3D video.

This is also true for video resolution. Your 1080p TV will only display at 1080p if it is connected to a 1080p source device, such as a Blu-ray player or Set-top box.

Selecting the right HDMI cable depends on two things: the level of video resolution you intend to support, and whether or not you want Ethernet connectivity. Genuine HDMI cables are clearly labeled to make this process easy:

Sample_High_Speed_HDMI_Cable.jpg

Designed to support video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies like 3D and 4K.

AnotherJoe said:
I'm not sure why you think the LG BD350 doesnt support DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

Good point. Besides, if your blu ray player doesn't decode audio, you can always bitstream for your Onkyo receiver to decode it. Which Onkyo is it? It does support DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD right?

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Big Boss,

Yes the LG BP325 decodes dolby true hd but not DTS-HD MA.Please explain to me...from what you say.. i can still get dts-hd ma if signal is bitstreamed from the player ? if so how is this done. Secondly Yes the onkyo rcvr (HT-R590) does support both dts-hd ma and dolby true hd.

If you can assure me that i can get DTS-HD MA through the rcvr then maybi i dont need to return the LG.

Also how do i knw if my onkyo reciver HT-R590 is with pass 3d signal.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Big boss,

Sorry for the piecemeal info but just went thru my Onkyo rcvr manual and it does confirm that 3D,ARC,DEEP COLOR, x v COLOR,LIPSYNC & CEC (RIHD) are all supported. The video resolution is also 1080p

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
YES IT DOES.

SO NOW KINDLY ADVISE ME ON HOW I WILL BITSTREAM FROM LG BP325 TO THE RECIEVER,WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I GO TO ON THE LG PLAYER AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ? :wall: :wall:

D

Deleted member 2457

sameersuleman said:
YES IT DOES.

SO NOW KINDLY ADVISE ME ON HOW I WILL BITSTREAM FROM LG BP325 TO THE RECIEVER,WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I GO TO ON THE LG PLAYER AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ? :wall: :wall:

On the Blu-ray player you go into the HDMI setting and select bitstream.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
dear all-thanks for your efforts and sharing your very valuable knowledge with me,

i think i have decieded on going for the pioneer bd150. I feel quality wise between LG and PIONEER..... pioneer is much more superior....correct me if am wrong

I refuse to believe that LG will sell a player not supporting certain audio formats in different countries. DTS-HD MA & Dolby True HD have been around a few years. Even my 2009 Panasonic supports these formats. Your LG definitely supports the formats.

For blu ray pictures, I haven't found any difference between players at different price points.

To me, it appears as if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new player. :) You can, by all means. But don't expect a jump in performance, especially when you're replacing one budget player with another. AV Forums says this in every review of blu ray players:

"As is always the case, every player should be able to output the content on a Blu-ray disc equally as well over HDMI because it is a digital signal." And,

"As with the 3D performance, the digital nature of a Blu-ray means that any player capable of outputting 1080p24 should be identical to any other when using the HDMI output."

D

Deleted member 2457

sameersuleman said:
dear all-thanks for your efforts and sharing your very valuable knowledge with me,

i think i have decieded on going for the pioneer bd150. I feel quality wise between LG and PIONEER..... pioneer is much more superior....correct me if am wrong

Pioneer have just released the 160 Blu-ray player:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13248-pioneer-bdp160-blu-ray-player.aspx?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle&gclid=CNnOot6wxrgCFXMRtAod1nIAww

How much are you looking to pay?

You also have the 450 at £185 which is a good deal too.

gel said:
sameersuleman said:

Pioneer have just released the 160 Blu-ray player:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13248-pioneer-bdp160-blu-ray-player.aspx?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle&gclid=CNnOot6wxrgCFXMRtAod1nIAww

How much are you looking to pay?

You also have the 450 at £185 which is a good deal too.

I don't think the OP lives in this Country gel.

sameersuleman

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Sir,

I dont live in the uk.Also just to clarify i didnt already own the LG player ,got it ordered from amazon and as soon as it was delivered we noticed that the DTS-HD MA logo was missing it only shows dts 2.0 +digital out logo.Furthermore I called LG UK and the gentleman after consulting with his technical dept confirmed to me that'' the player only decodes DTS HD and would not decode DTS HD MA''. I also went on further and asked if they had any LG player which had DTD HD-MA and the response was,,,,,,''sorry sir there is none at the moment ''

Now,

Either I am lying or the guy at LG UK was unknowingly giving wrong info.

Also lg bp 325w is not available on amazon uk whats available is bp 325..u can confirm this from the net...unless my net is diffrent ;)

so...on seeing that no dts hd ma logo on the product and on further confirmng with the manufacturer we decieded to return it and look for another player and thus all these conversations which i must admit have been quite educational.

Gel thanks for your input too but i already ordered the 150...will let you all know on how it fits in after we recieve it in a couple of weeks.

-B/R-

D

Deleted member 2457

sameersuleman said:
Sir,

I dont live in the uk.Also just to clarify i didnt already own the LG player ,got it ordered from amazon and as soon as it was delivered we noticed that the DTS-HD MA logo was missing it only shows dts 2.0 +digital out logo.Furthermore I called LG UK and the gentleman after consulting with his technical dept confirmed to me that'' the player only decodes DTS HD and would not decode DTS HD MA''. I also went on further and asked if they had any LG player which had DTD HD-MA and the response was,,,,,,''sorry sir there is none at the moment ''

Now,

Either I am lying or the guy at LG UK was unknowingly giving wrong info.

Also lg bp 325w is not available on amazon uk whats available is bp 325..u can confirm this from the net...unless my net is diffrent ;)

so...on seeing that no dts hd ma logo on the product and on further confirmng with the manufacturer we decieded to return it and look for another player and thus all these conversations which i must admit have been quite educational.

Gel thanks for your input too but i already ordered the 150...will let you all know on how it fits in after we recieve it in a couple of weeks.

-B/R-

Nice one, I think it will be a cracking Blu-ray player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts