Looking to buy first projector advice.

A

Anonymous

Dont know why nothing came ot on my post but i will try again.

I am looking for a projector and screen for everyday use but not sure if they are suitable for this.

Room is about 16ft x 16ft and is very bright with large windows. My budget is about 3k but if you feel it is worth spending a little more to get better quality then i am open to this.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello mark8par,

(Does your name refer to your golf handicap, by the way?)

I know virtually nothing about projectors, so I'll leave others to recommend specific models. In the meantime you could look at the favoured models at around your budget here in the What Hi-Fi review pages. What does concern me about your room is that it is very bright, with large windows. I really don't know if there are any projectors, at any price, that give of their best in strong daylight.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Plenty to consider here. You can happily use a projector for all of your viewing and the lastest 3D models are bright enought to deliver a good image with ambinet light in the room. As you would expect reducing the light is key with the best image avaialble in the dark.

That said if you are watching TV these images tend to be brighter and you could eaily watch with low level light and be impressed with the picutre. We can run our demo room with all the lights on and still show a very strong TV image.

£3k will get you a large selection and the 2013 models are all about to be released. The Epson TW9100 and Panasonic PTAT6000 will be the brightest of the market leaders on paper. The Sony HW60 and JVC X35 are both very bright and bring of features that may be of use.

Have you considered the screen size and where you are going to put the projector?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I've had a projector for a while, but to be honest while it's doable I wouldn't have just a projector for all round watching.

With the modern projectors you can get a bright image even in full daylight, but it will be a little washed out and in darker scenes problematic depending on how bright the sunlight is. Electric light has a much lesser effect than daylight.

But the thing is a big projector screen is a little too big for most TV footage. Films take the size into account. Also, if you see a big screen all the time it loses the wow factor when you stick a film on. And finally, if you just want to browse what's on TV or set a recording or whatever, it's a waste to fire the projector and bulb up just for that. You have to think a bit with the projector. It doesn't do the bulb a load of good turning it on and off at short intervals.

I have an LCD for watching TV, and nly stick the projector on for big sports stuff, special TV programmes and films, or BluRays and DVDs.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
kinda said:
Hello,

I've had a projector for a while, but to be honest while it's doable I wouldn't have just a projector for all round watching.

With the modern projectors you can get a bright image even in full daylight, but it will be a little washed out and in darker scenes problematic depending on how bright the sunlight is. Electric light has a much lesser effect than daylight.

But the thing is a big projector screen is a little too big for most TV footage. Films take the size into account. Also, if you see a big screen all the time it loses the wow factor when you stick a film on. And finally, if you just want to browse what's on TV or set a recording or whatever, it's a waste to fire the projector and bulb up just for that. You have to think a bit with the projector. It doesn't do the bulb a load of good turning it on and off at short intervals.

I have an LCD for watching TV, and nly stick the projector on for big sports stuff, special TV programmes and films, or BluRays and DVDs.

Each to their own. Just a few things in defense of the big screen: YOu do not need to have a huge image to benefit - 80" is a big step up from most TVs and with the smaller area you will get more light. The image will only be too big if the screen is not the right size for the room or you are sitting too close.

I ran a PJ as a TV for years and it never lost the impact but then I loved it . The latest models have a memeory function so you could have a setting at say 60" for TV and 100" for movies. As for firing up the bulb it again depends on how you watch - a small TV and an HDMI splitter would solve it if you were concerned.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have just got a great deal on a Epson TW6000W and a 100" screen with the idea that my 50" Plaz will go onto the wall for normal rubbish on TV then the screen will come down infront of the Plaz so I can use the PJ for Movies,Sport and XBOX 360. Best of both worlds IMHO:dance:

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I take on board what you're saying Nick, and I'm not saying it isn't doable, but I think there's a difference between right size for cinema and right size for TV.

For cinema and 1080P you're looking at distance to screen as 1.7 times width to ensure benefit of HD, and then no more than 1.54 to get an image big enough for immersion, (I believe this gives the 30 degree viewing angle and is the angle recommend for a person 2/ 3 toward back of cinema), and with 1.2 being the maximum closeness, (think this is 45 degrees). I have all the figures somewhere from when I calculated my screen. You have to factor in a bit where you like to be in a cinema, as you may prefer a smaller or larger image.

But if you have this right for cinema, it doesn't mean that it is OK for TV. I think I have mine just about perfect for me for films, but oput the news on, or a Tv programme and massive heads filling the screen isn't what i want or exciting. Sport is fine, but normal TV tends to focus more on clise-ups and shorter shots, and it isn't as good, and isn't to the same quality, even upscaled, as HD BulRay films, (unless you stick an HD channel on obviously).

If you factored in TV shooting and upscaling, you'd end up with a much smaller picture, and it would be brighter, yes, but for films you'd lose the cinematic feel. I guess losing the impact is a personal thing, but for me it becamse less special if I used the projector too much.

Using the memory feature for a different sized picture from the proejctor is intiguing, but it looks a bit rubbish to have a smaller image inside a frame, and if a lot of the time you weren't using the real estate, a bit of a nuisance having a big screen rolled out or in place.

Accept a splitter and TV can enable you to have the flexibility, but that's what I'm suggesting, and what I've got. Although if it was just the case of needing channel flicking or scheduling recordings, there are web sites that let you view the TV guide and some PVRs let you schedule recordings over a web interface.

For me, (and some of this is personal experience, but I want the poster to be aware of possible issues), the TV and a projector is good. I can stick the TV on without worrying to see if anything takes my fancy, or to set recordings, have bright lights on to read or see other things while casually watching, or watch TV in bright sunlight. For films and big sport events I get the big screen on.

I think DJ Krime's projector / TV combo sounds very good!

A

Anonymous

Go for Epson EH-TW6000, I bought this after lot of research and demostrations. Picture quality is superb and I was not able to fee difference in quality between Epson and Expensive JVC.

Beleive me you will not regret and you will save time as well. I bought mine for around 980 with free 4 3D glasses.

Manual Projector screen should cost you around 170.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts