Looking so start with separates - Suggestions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey there!

Right now I have a Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system. It's fairly loud, but in terms of quality; I'm no expert but I say it's a bit below average haha.

I'm looking for an Amp and Speakers but with the ability to add a subwoofer later on when more money can be saved. I can't afford a DAC just now but I do plan to get one of those later as well since my motherboard has optical audio out on it.

I'd like to keep it under £400 for the amp and speakers if that's possible, however I'm open to suggestions above too, if they provide enough extra for the money I might be able to wait and save that bit more.

Thanks very much! :D

matthewpiano

Certainly worth trying the Marantz PM6003 (now reduced to £220) with Monitor Audio BX2 (£225), Dali Zensor 1 (£180), or Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (£169) speakers.

What sort of sound do you want and what music do you listen to?

A

Anonymous

If you are using it simply on your computer, why not consider pro monitors?

You could (for example) get a pair of active Yamaha HS50M for £260 and you'd have enough left for a DAC...there is also a dedicated Yamaha sub for this system.

You'd have a great sound, and a very neat solution.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Trousertrumpet said:
If you are using it simply on your computer, why not consider pro monitors?

You could (for example) get a pair of active Yamaha HS50M for £260 and you'd have enough left for a DAC...there is also a dedicated Yamaha sub for this system.

You'd have a great sound, and a very neat solution.

Trousertrumpet, have you heard the Yamaha speakers and/or any competitors? What do you think of them? I'm considering something like this as a possible minimalist office solution some time in the future.

Cheers,

Ben

A

Anonymous

No, but I have a friend with the bigger HS80M and they come very highly recommended, and I know someone with some Alesi M1 actives, but haven't heard them, also very reasonably priced at around £250 for a pair. It's a no brainer for a PC or Apple desktop. Throw in either a DAC or a cheap mixer and you have a very neat and elegant solution.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi TT,

I'm thinking at some stage a Sonos ZP90 into a pair of pro monitors will be a very neat little set up. As well as the brands you mention, I am interested in Adam Audio and KRK, all of which seem to get decent write ups. I'm not sure how easy they'll prove to audition tho, which is why I'm interested in hearing people's experiences. It's probably some way off for me yet, but thanks :)

Ben.

A

Anonymous

Wolverton said:
Does that mean a DAC would improve my Samson Studiodock 3is? If so, could you suggest a few at the budget end?

Many thanks

I have no idea on those speakers Wolverton, but I would probably not bother with an external DAC, as they come with their own. Adding a Beresford/Cambridge etc DAC may help, but then it may not. I'd stick with what you have and put any money you were thinking of parting with toward a future speaker upgrade...No matter how good the Samson are, a 3.25 inch woofer is not gonna be delivering a very full sound, not accurately anyway...

T

the record spot

The Yamaha HS80s are excellent, though you might need an adapter (cheap as chips, almost pennies in fact) to hook your cable from the NAS to the speaker's input. I've heard both the HS80 and the smaller 50s, also the Roland DS7 active monitor, the latter coming with an onboard DAC as well. The 80s are more bassy, the other two a tad more lean, depends on your preference of course. One thing to point out with pro-speakers is they tend to be priced per speaker, not as a pair. The HS80s are around £350 a pair, the 50s are around £230, the Roland DS7s are about £250 a pair.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
If you want to go down the professional monitor track, then Adams are the closest to home speakers, followed by the Genelecs, though those can be pricey depending on the model.

The Yamahas verge towards the paint stripping end of the scale. True you can hear every note, but after 10 minutes or so you'll be craving silence. Really analytical, uncomfortably so in my opinion.

T

the record spot

Hyperbole central is in full swing today. The HS50s are lean, paint stripping however is so far off the mark it fails to show on the radar and is misleading. The HS80s are fine for a home speaker, but they're primarily intended for the studio. Genelec's cheapest pair (the 6020a) clock in at £500 a pair and it's practically all points upwards from there. The OP should go have a listen in some pro audio shops if he's near any and find out the truth for himself.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You should read my post more closely, RS.

Have you listened to the Yamahas, by the way? I have, for a couple of hours in a pro shop, which is why I picked the Genelec and Adams as being pick of the bunch. The Yamahas are cold, analytical and, after a while, not suitable for protracted listening.

They are, however, good studio monitors which is, after all, what they were designed for.

I posted, by the way, because I found your post misleading, so there :p

T

the record spot

I've heard the Yamaha HS50 and 80 on two separate occasions, likewise I've heard Genelec's 6020, 8020, 8040 actives also on more than one occasion. I'd recommend, again, that misinformation isn't the purpose here and the OP's more than capable of making up his own mind.

Seeing as the Genelecs are outwith the OPs budget, I'd suggest the HS80s on the basis that the "excessive" treble you seem to think exists is counterbalanced by the ample bass in the speaker; it's a nice blend. Yes they're studio monitors, but that applies across the board with any of these. Genelec would be my pick, but the budget is around £400, so that road's closed.

EDIT: Yes, I did read your post and yes, I found it misleading on the basis I described earlier.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Aah, so you don't see the difference between the "verging towards the paint stripper end" and sounding like paintstripper.

By the way, bass can't counteract excessive treble, they're at opposite ends of the frequency range. Believe me, I've had some speakers which shall remain nameless, which had wonderful bass and midrange, but no-one could listen to the treble for more that 5 minutes. Gave them to the local charity shop where, to my knowledge, they still live, some 10 years on. I won't comment on misleading, since it seems more a case of misunterstanding.

For actives I'd still go with Adams, by the way. Analytical enough but a bit more respectful of people's ears, and fun to boot. The Genelecs are really good for their size, and well worth the price, but yes, they are over budget. Bass on the Adams is better, which isn't a surprise given they're a lot bigger.

Customer - damn! Ciao amicis

A

Anonymous

Another option on the pro audio side, although a tad more expensive...M-Audio DSM-1[/b]

I haven't heard them but I've seen some nice reviews.

I have seen them for as little as £250 each (most pro speakers are sold in singles).

The advantage here...they have a digital input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts