Looking for upgrade advice please

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking for more base in my music system. I was thinking about moving from my existing bookshelf speakers MS 902i to perhaps the QA2050i. Current set up is CA640c v2, CA640a v2, SM6 and project Debut 3 USB.

The system currently sits in the conservatory with speakers on wall mounts about 6ft high and angled in. I might take some pics to show the layout as I know room size and speaker positioning can make a big difference so I'm wondering what the best upgrade route should be.

Also, if the QAs were the right path to go down, would the the amp be able to drive them properly? Budget is around £550 and any advice given would be gratefully received.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think your main problem is the room, glass is not good for bass, most goes straight through. The QA2050i should be OK as easy to drive, but for your room I would get a home demo if you can.

T

the record spot

The 902s were never bass shy. Have you tried moving them around a little and experimenting with positioning? That can often work wonders and I imagine you have the space to play with maybe? Give it a whirl before splashing out.

And it might be more to do with your amp than the speakers.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. It's not a traditional conservatory but the speakers are quite high and tilted down. I've taken a couple of pics but need to figure out how to post them online.

the old sofa is modular so was thinking of removing one of the seats and putting floorstanders either side. I'm going to tweak the angle of the speakers to see if that affects the base but if the room is the factor then maybe the speakers are way to go.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Here are the speakers:

13388405244_03431c40d3_z.jpg

Lounge wall side

13388409664_db91244547_z.jpg

Lounge is narrow so not much space for speakers

13390626794_5121359b4b_z.jpg

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
looks like a big room to fill with those little speakers. you may be better off with floor standers.

went to richer sounds to check out the QA floorstanders on a whim and ended up auditioning the MA BX5s. Didn't have enough punch so ended

taking home the BX6s on a 14 day trial. The guy in the store recommended the MAs based on he the metal tweeter cone which would offer a similar sound to the 902s. Looking forward to getting them wired up. If I don't get on with them i might try the QAS but was impressed in the testing room.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bigfish. The speakers are display versions so should have had a bit of a run in but wanted to make sure they work for my space. If I decide to go with them then I'll be getting a new pair and run them in by crossing over. I also wanted to check if I needed more cable but looks like my current runs are fine. The only thing will be if I want to bi-wire them.

First impressions are very favourable. Aside from being at listening level they are bringing out so much more detail in the music. Plus they effortlessly fill the downstairs with sound but without making the room with the speakers being too loud.

Currently put Holst's planets, Muse, Jamie Callum, Bill Withers, Zappa though the speakers plus some vinyl and have been really impressed with all genres. Looking forward to putting them through their paces.

sounds promising. hope they work out for you.

regarding bi-wiring, personally i wouldn't bother. having tried both bi-wiring and bi-amping, i wasn't convinced on my particular speakers. (not the ones i have now)

a single run of decent quality cable is enough, if you feel the desire to bi-wire at a later date, give it a go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts