looking for towers: B&W 684 or...?

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
ALTERNATIVES for towers B&W 684
Hi, I'm looking for towers good for jazz, rock, classical
(and sometimes TV movie) on 2 stereo channels;
I like a sound:

- bassy, below 100 Hz, enveloping (warm, dark, soft, etc.)
- better under 50 Hz
- but not booming
- even with middle-highs in background and/or not very detailed
- not bright ...
- finished almost as B & w...

I already heard positively the B&W 684, but before committing errors,
I would like to know from some experienced guy here
what alternatives there may be in the price range between 600 and 700 £ (GB);
Thank you!

GCE said:
ALTERNATIVES for towers B&W 684 Hi, I'm looking for towers good for jazz, rock, classical (and sometimes TV movie) on 2 stereo channels; I like a sound: - bassy, below 100 Hz, enveloping (warm, dark, soft, etc.) - better under 50 Hz - but not booming - even with middle-highs in background and/or not very detailed - not bright ... - finished almost as B & w... I already heard positively the B&W 684, but before committing errors, I would like to know from some experienced guy here what alternatives there may be in the price range between 600 and 700 £ (GB); Thank you!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/mordaunt-short/aviano-6/mord-aviano-6-blk

These originally retailed at £600.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
MS Mezzo 6/8? Usual advice then? Go listen to a few with your own electronics
Second the Mezzo 6 but I don't know if it'll fullfil your bass requirements, I think the 684s are good but they need a good amp with control to keep the bass in check. I fell in love with the 684s connected to Audiolab pre/power....absolutely brilliant.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just want to ad something

But I might not be that objective as I'm a bit of a BW fan....

You discibed it verry well I think you do nothing wrong with buying them. IMO the 600 (except 686 ther ther is better for the money I think) series are very good Vamue for the money....

An true there is a lot of competition but to me it have 2 big oponent's already mentioned here.

1 the monitor Audio RX6 (who I know quite well as I have a friend ussing theme) But to me they are slightly to bright for me. The way you discribed your things I don't think they fit your tast....but you never know....

2 The Mezzo6 is somthing in between Less bright than the RX6 but more bass.

I compared the 684 & mezzo 6 in the same demo an te mezzo being more neutral I still prefered the slightly darker presentation of the 684.

But this of corse depends also a lot of the amplification you will be ussing.

( an you seem to trust numbers a lot nothing wrong with that to get direction, but becarefull!!!! an trust your ears)

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
B&W 684 and Mordaunt S Aviano 6AdvertisementWant to Advertise?thanks RobyTested B&W 684 and Mordaunt S. Aviano 6 (not the Mezzo 6) but in a not very good showroom (too bright):

B& W684 - more medium bass presence, that may be covers the deeper bass, say 50Hz and down; female voice more rude and heavy, mids more aggressive and in front;

Aviano 6: more deeper bass in evidence, perhaps because they have less 100 Hz bass shield, and voices more in background; more relaxing sound; (I should like to see the response diagram, but I can't find it ...)

amp: Marantz 6004 and Nad 326 - more liquid in mid freq. the first.

tanks to all for every past and future suggestions!
thumbsup.gif

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
B&W 684 and Mordaunt S Aviano 6AdvertisementWant to Advertise?Tested B&W 684 and Mordaunt S. Aviano 6:

B& W684 - more medium bass presence, that may be covers the deeper bass, say 50Hz and down; female voice more rude and heavy, mids more aggressive and in front;

Aviano 6: more deeper bass in evidence, perhaps because they have less 100 Hz bass shield, and voices more in background; more relaxing sound;

amp: Marantz 6004 and Nad 326 - more liquid in mid freq. the first.

tanks to all for every past and future suggestions!
thumbsup.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts