Looking for replacement stereo preamp

HDMan72

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
Hello all! My first post here so here goes. I currently have a mostly all Linn system from mid to late 90's. Kairn Pro preamp w/ Slimline Brilliant PS and two LK140 power amps which feed my Linn Katan speakers. My Kairn Pro has failed, my local repair man was not successful in repairing it. Its not the battery as that was recently replaced. New Linn gear is not within my budget, too expensive for me. I'm looking into what brands are a suitable replacement and would match well with my power amps. Currently looking into Rotel, Arcam and even the Cyrus One which I know is an integrated amp but it does have preamp outputs. I'm located in the U.S. Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

HDMan72

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi. If you're in the US, look at Schiit Audio or Rogue Audio, if they have stuff within your budget, you'd ge much better bang for your buck.

I forgot, I did look at Schiit Audio, the Freya+ and Saga+ tube preamps. Rogue Audio I'm only familiar with the Sphinx integrated amplifier which is an outright audio bargain from everything I read.

Thanks!

Reactions: rainsoothe
D

Deleted member 116933

I think first watt and sister company pass labs might have something on your side of the pond though I have no idea how much they are.

Personally though I think rather than trying to shoe horn in a pre to work with your linn I’d be looking for a matching combo or just a really good integrated. And sell what you have.

Musical fidelity would be top of my list these days.

Reactions: rainsoothe

HDMan72

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
I think first watt and sister company pass labs might have something on your side of the pond though I have no idea how much they are.

Personally though I think rather than trying to shoe horn in a pre to work with your linn I’d be looking for a matching combo or just a really good integrated. And sell what you have.

Musical fidelity would be top of my list these days.

I have given consideration to that also by looking into some integrated amps. I'm not to familiar with the Musical Fidelity M3si or 5si. Another integrated I've looked at was the Marantz PM8006. I did own an 8004 and it was a splendid amp.

My source components are a Bluesound Node 2i and my LP12. Phono preamp is a Linn linto.

D

Deleted member 116933

I have given consideration to that also by looking into some integrated amps. I'm not to familiar with the Musical Fidelity M3si or 5si. Another integrated I've looked at was the Marantz PM8006. I did own an 8004 and it was a splendid amp.

My source components are a Bluesound Node 2i and my LP12. Phono preamp is a Linn linto.

Sounds like all you really need is an intergraded. As I say musical fidelity is where I’d start. Lots of bang for the buck

Others on the list would be
Rotel
Yamaha
Marantz though I’m not to much of a fan
Perhaps NAD

Give those a listen and see if there do it for you.

HDMan72

Apr 3, 2021
Visit site
Sounds like all you really need is an intergraded. As I say musical fidelity is where I’d start. Lots of bang for the buck

Others on the list would be
Rotel
Yamaha
Marantz though I’m not to much of a fan
Perhaps NAD

Give those a listen and see if there do it for you.

Thanks! Think I'm on the right track with these?

Musical Fidelity M3si
Rotel A11 Tribute
Yamaha A-S801

Hello all! My first post here so here goes. I currently have a mostly all Linn system from mid to late 90's. Kairn Pro preamp w/ Slimline Brilliant PS and two LK140 power amps which feed my Linn Katan speakers. My Kairn Pro has failed, my local repair man was not successful in repairing it. Its not the battery as that was recently replaced. New Linn gear is not within my budget, too expensive for me. I'm looking into what brands are a suitable replacement and would match well with my power amps. Currently looking into Rotel, Arcam and even the Cyrus One which I know is an integrated amp but it does have preamp outputs. I'm located in the U.S. Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

My advice to you would be to stick with the rest of your Linn components. If you are happy to consider used/discontinued components than look out for Rotel's RC995 pre amp. The RC-995's low impedance, high current output stage will grip the LK140's perfectly and the RC-995's tonality should also help it to blend in nicely with the rest of the components.

You should be able to find RC-995 for not too much money.

Reactions: Al ears and HDMan72

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Would suggest auditioning Yamaha AS801 and AS1200 /1100

record_spot

If you're running to 2xLK140s, then adding either a Kolektor (which I use for the number of inputs available) or another similar vintage Linn Preamp will likely see you right. I bought my Kolektor earlier this year and have been delighted with it. Partnered with a pair of AVI ADM 9RSS and the various sources I use, it's been a good - and decent - investment. The Kolektor clocks in these days at around £400 mint, used, from a dealer. Highly recommended.

If you're running to 2xLK140s, then adding either a Kolektor (which I use for the number of inputs available) or another similar vintage Linn Preamp will likely see you right. I bought my Kolektor earlier this year and have been delighted with it. Partnered with a pair of AVI ADM 9RSS and the various sources I use, it's been a good - and decent - investment. The Kolektor clocks in these days at around £400 mint, used, from a dealer. Highly recommended.
post number 9 suggests he is already sorted.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts