Looking for a record player advice please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I still think you need to assess how seriously you want to get into vinyl playing. Not much point in buying a relatively expensive deck if you're only going to use it for a few albums. A budget deck certainly won't harm your present collection. Be prepared to factor in a 'decent' cartridge, whatever deck you go for. I still have my old Rega Planar 3, and adding the Goldring 1042 last year has made a big difference, but there are better ones out there with prices to match. The Goldring cost me around £250 just to give you some idea. It probably seems like a relatively high price to pay for such a small item, but cartridges can have a big impact on the sound, so quite important
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Daz B said:
A home demo would be a good option to see what turntable sounds best with your amp and speakers. This would also give you an opertunity to see what a turntable would sound like with your unit.

You try getting one :)

Yep. I guess it's quite understandable for retailers to be reluctant to let possible customers take away their kit, boxed and unused, with the real chance that it will be returned...unwanted.

As an aside, I think Dave's problem is that he is probably spoiled for choice, living in London. 'Proper' HiFi shops are now a rarity, it seems for the rest of us. The best/proper HiFi shop here in Bristol was Radfords, which went out of business years ago. All we have now is Sevenoaks, Richer Sounds and AudioT, just box-shifters really.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Yep. I guess it's quite understandable for retailers to be reluctant to let possible customers take away their kit, boxed and unused, with the real chance that it will be returned...unwanted. I think Dave's problem is that he is probably spoiled for choice, living in London. 'Proper' HiFi shops are now a rarity, it seems for the rest of us. The best/proper HiFi shop here in Bristol was Radfords, which went out of business years ago. All we have now is Sevenoaks, Richer Sounds and AudioT, just box-shifters really.

To be honest, I don't think it is that much better in london. There are a handful of good dealers around but the scene is dominated by the mass market 'box shifters'.

I have spoken of this before, but several of the very best systems I have ever heard were vinyl based and I find it a bit sad that vinyl replay has been dumbed down to a 'hipster trend'. Most of the budget players fit very much into this category and, compared to what is possible, are pretty poor.

Good quality vinyl playback seems to be becoming something of a lost art, it is expensive to do it right and most people will not pay the cost.

Unlike the poster above, I would be reluctant to play expensive or collectable recordings on a budget player, purely from the wear point of view.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
Yep. I guess it's quite understandable for retailers to be reluctant to let possible customers take away their kit, boxed and unused, with the real chance that it will be returned...unwanted. I think Dave's problem is that he is probably spoiled for choice, living in London. 'Proper' HiFi shops are now a rarity, it seems for the rest of us. The best/proper HiFi shop here in Bristol was Radfords, which went out of business years ago. All we have now is Sevenoaks, Richer Sounds and AudioT, just box-shifters really.

To be honest, I don't think it is that much better in london. There are a handful of good dealers around but the scene is dominated by the mass market 'box shifters'.

I have spoken of this before, but several of the very best systems I have ever heard were vinyl based and I find it a bit sad that vinyl replay has been dumbed down to a 'hipster trend'. Most of the budget players fit very much into this category and, compared to what is possible, are pretty poor.

Good quality vinyl playback seems to be becoming something of a lost art, it is expensive to do it right and most people will not pay the cost.

Unlike the poster above, I would be reluctant to play expensive or collectable recordings on a budget player, purely from the wear point of view.

At least you have a "handful"(ooh er *biggrin* ). Yes, I agree about vinyl playing being a lost art, but it's all down to demand, as you know. I happen to think my old Rega sounds ok, but I'm in no doubt there's better out there, and will be making an investment sometime next year. Unless I am prepared to travel great distances (I imagine), I'll probably be stuffed to do any comparisons, not ideal.

I'm probably thick, but not quite sure what you mean when you say that budget players will cause more wear? Surely, the only contact with the vinyl is the stylus and it's interaction with the arm? Provided these are both 'decent', there shouldn't be any problems?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Rega players are ok, nothing more. The hype though is amazing.

The big problem is stability, an unstable player, one that is prone to microphony or feedback will cause more wear than one that is stable. The arm/cartridge needs to be well matched and carefully aligned too, not difficult if you know what you are doing, but not so easy for the less expert.

We are talking about what might be some irreplaceable recordings here, I would be very careful indeed if they were mine.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Rega players are ok, nothing more. The hype though is amazing.

The big problem is stability, an unstable player, one that is prone to microphony or feedback will cause more wear than one that is stable. The arm/cartridge needs to be well matched and carefully aligned too, not difficult if you know what you are doing, but not so easy for the less expert.

We are talking about what might be some irreplaceable recordings here, I would be very careful indeed if they were mine.

Fair enough. I still think the OP needs to assess how seriously he wants to get into vinyl. If it's only to play his Black Sabbath records, then he'd be better off keeping them in their sleeves and just playing the CD equivalent as those type of recordings aren't exactly demanding in HiFi terms, no disrespect to Black Sabbath, just sayin'.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes at the moment I have only a black sabbath & ozzy osboure vinyl collection which I have collected for the last 30 years so yes it would be true that if I got myself a record player it would be for playing my collection which is about 40 albums plus the 45 singles . I will see a dealer in the new year and ask some questions and have some demoing done . Then I will find out if it's worth paying out for a record player or not but as you say I still do have my CDs still to fall back on but it's a shame for my vinyl not to be used .

D

Deleted member 108165

Freddy58 said:
I still think you need to assess how seriously you want to get into vinyl playing. Not much point in buying a relatively expensive deck if you're only going to use it for a few albums. A budget deck certainly won't harm your present collection. Be prepared to factor in a 'decent' cartridge, whatever deck you go for. I still have my old Rega Planar 3, and adding the Goldring 1042 last year has made a big difference, but there are better ones out there with prices to match. The Goldring cost me around £250 just to give you some idea. It probably seems like a relatively high price to pay for such a small item, but cartridges can have a big impact on the sound, so quite important

Sabbath, I agree with Freddy. If your albums are that precious then keep them safely sealed and just buy copies to play on a budget deck.

I guess I'm what Dave would call a hipster with my DJ deck, but that doesn't make me any less passionate about my vinyl. I just know my limitations and what kind of music I play, it's mainly pop, yours is metal, but they're basically the same thing. If I had a vast classical, opera or jazz vinyl collection then yes a £1-2K deck would be something to consider; but not for inherently poorly recorded pop music.

If you are looking for something that looks nice and sounds good then the budget decks are really quite good value. Project and Rega get rather good reviews, I've owned the Debut Carbon and it was a very competent deck, it did everything you could possibly ask of it. However, I've always been a fan of direct-drive tt's, especially the Technics 1200 series, that's why I bought the Pioneer and I am perfectly happy with it. It is nowhere near as well engineered as the original Technics, but it easily outperforms the Project and looks like a proper deck, not a lightweight frisbee.

If you are also looking for a deck that will complement the aesthetics of your Marantz system perfectly then take a look at the Pioneer PLX1000. If you want more info regrding the Project DC or the Pioneer, (advantages/disadvantages), just shout.

If anyone wants to shoot me down then that's your prerogative, sticks and stones and all that.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes at the moment I have only a black sabbath & ozzy osboure vinyl collection which I have collected for the last 30 years so yes it would be true that if I got myself a record player it would be for playing my collection which is about 40 albums plus the 45 singles . I will see a dealer in the new year and ask some questions and have some demoing done . Then I will find out if it's worth paying out for a record player or not but as you say I still do have my CDs still to fall back on but it's a shame for my vinyl not to be used .

I quite like Black Sabbath myself, but to buy a turntable just to play that? I fully understand your urge to play them, but it's a high price to pay if that's pretty much it. If your plan is to build up a vinyl collection, then yes, go ahead and get a decent turntable, otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Just my opinion of course
thumbs_up.gif

Yes Mr Sabbath,I think you need to stick yer heed oot the box as wee say in Scotland.just Kidding,but seriously you don't spend a grand or so on a turntable just to listen to one band,I love a bit of sabbath myself ,but wouldn't start a vinyl setup just for that , I've got around 300 albums,which I thought myself was maybe not enough to justify spending nearly 1k on. I know you just got your amp and speakers,you're very happy with them and it seems you still have an itch to scratch,have a pause and think about what you want before spending more cash.

D

Deleted member 108165

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yes Mr Sabbath,I think you need to stick yer heed oot the box as wee say in Scotland.just Kidding,but seriously you don't spend a grand or so on a turntable just to listen to one band,I love a bit of sabbath myself ,but wouldn't start a vinyl setup just for that , I've got around 300 albums,which I thought myself was maybe not enough to justify spending nearly 1k on. I know you just got your amp and speakers,you're very happy with them and it seems you still have an itch to scratch,have a pause and think about what you want before spending more cash.

Oh, I dunno Mark, bought my deck for just three artists/bands: Donna Summer, ABBA, Dire Straits *crazy**biggrin*

Plus I've got a 2M Black cart fitted *wacko*

D

Deleted member 108165

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ooh,how's that 2m black?

A truly wonderful cartridge*man_in_love*, detail, resolution... everything, (and yes it would probably sound better on your deck than mine *biggrin* ). Can be a little noisy, picks up every snap crackle and pop, the Bronze was quieter in this respect, but the Black surpasses it in every other area with ease.

I have tried a Nagaoka MP300, another great cart, but for my system I feel the Ortofon just integrates better and has the sound I am looking for.

I would say that my current PMC speakers and the 2M Black have delivered the biggest rewards of all for me.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Buy something like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SONY-TTS-4000-Plattenspieler-Laufwerk-xl-ES-QS-Ortofon-Original-Highend-Vintage-/121821412053?hash=item1c5d1f3ad5:g:tmsAAOSwNSxVN2Cf

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Denon-DP-59L-Turntable-/151904185455?hash=item235e31ec6f:g:yHkAAOSwcdBWRJ5j

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be a shame not to play those records as that was what they were made for. Iam sure not all the records are £100 plus in value and perhaps playing some of the expensive and sort after ones can be kept as a investment only. He can perhaps buy later pressings of the real collectible versions or even recent reissues. The Steve Hoffman forum is a good source of reference and research which will help the op find good sounding copies if or when deciding on a turntable.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i will end up buying a pro jet record player next year but i will not spend no more then £500 on buying a record player just so i can learn how to use it right and set it up right i will buy a good cart for the player and then buy some copys of the same albums so do not have to worry in messing up my collection its not an issue . if i get on with the record player i will then upgrade to something much better in the future as there are other bands i like that i do not have on vinyl yet

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i will end up buying a pro jet record player next year but i will not spend no more then £500 on buying a record player just so i can learn how to use it right and set it up right i will buy a good cart for the player and then buy some copys of the same albums so do not have to worry in messing up my collection its not an issue . if i get on with the record player i will then upgrade to something much better in the future as there are other bands i like that i do not have on vinyl yet

A sensible solution. I destroyed some irreplaceable records with a substandard player and regetted it immensley, not good.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Glad you have decided to get a turntable and I think your choice of spending £500 on a Project turntable seems like a good idea. Giving yourself time with the Project will give you the chance to enjoy playing records. Finding other music will be fun too and I recommend going to record fares.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Daz B said:
Glad you have decided to get a turntable and I think your choice of spending £500 on a Project turntable seems like a good idea. Giving yourself time with the Project will give you the chance to enjoy playing records. Finding other music will be fun too and I recommend going to record fares.
hi and thanks yes I did used to go to record fares years ago and loved it hunting down albums I used to go all over the place to buy a black sabbath album . But now we have the Internet which I no is the lazy way but you reminded me of something I have not done for years and that's the fun of going to this record fares thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right I will be going for a project record player in the new year any recommendations on which project to look at ? And will it come with a cart or not ? If not which one will I need to buy . Thanks

Blacksabbath25 said:
Right I will be going for a project record player in the new year any recommendations on which project to look at ? And will it come with a cart or not ? If not which one will I need to buy . Thanks

The best you could get for your £500 is the Debut Carbon Esprit SB although I would ditch the 2M Red cartridge it usually comes fitted with.

However if you up your budget a bit you could look for a second-hand or ex demo 2Xperience fitted with the 9cc tonearm. This is a very good arm and will take a cartridge upgrade or two in the future should you go down that route.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

The best you could get for your £500 is the Debut Carbon Esprit SB although I would ditch the 2M Red cartridge it usually comes fitted with.

However if you up your budget a bit you could look for a second-hand or ex demo 2Xperience fitted with the 9cc tonearm. This is a very good arm and will take a cartridge upgrade or two in the future should you go down that route.
ok sounds good about ex demo no issues there i will have a look round for 1 . thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Al ears said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

ok sounds good about ex demo no issues there i will have a look round for 1 . thanks
right ok I had a look for a project 2 xperience .... There are 4 models which one ? basic , classic , 2 pack , sh dc . And do I get a cart with this players or is that extra ? I looked at richer sounds , seven oaks and they do not have any ex demo project players only new and the 2 pack one is £900 new . Do you no anywhere that might have an ex dem

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I was interested in buying a new turntable and Canterbury HiFi said they had a Project 2 Xperience SB in Walnut for £767.81 Display model. Its not on their website.

I was going to buy it myself but the Mrs has just been made redundant.

Phone 01227 765315

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
AntAxon said:
I was interested in buying a new turntable and Canterbury HiFi said they had a Project 2 Xperience SB in Walnut for £767.81 Display model. Its not on their website.

I was going to buy it myself but the Mrs has just been made redundant.

Phone 01227 765315

ok thank you sorry to here about your news its not what you need at xmas time i hope you get sorted out soon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts