Looking for a decent sub £1500 Full HD Projector

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi

As title suggests I am needing to replace my current projector and looking for a good quality Full HD one.

I am not bothered about 3D or in-built speakers - just a good image that is preferably LCD (to avoid the rainbow affect of DLP).

Any ideas? Thanks

abacus

There are some good projectors by Optoma and BenQ for under £1500 that easily match (And in many respects better) the Sony that Big Boss mentions, or the top rated Epson 7200 (About the same price as the Sony but pure LCD), however one thing they do lack is the large lens adjustments of the more expensive models so more care has be taken when fixing in position.

I currently use a BenQ W1070 (Which can be picked up for about £500) and I would have no hesitation in putting it up against £1500 – 2000 projectors. (Which I did before purchasing, as I was looking for a good reasonably priced unit to last until 4K projectors become the norm)

Rainbow effect with DLP for most users is not noticeable; however for the few that are susceptible to it, then projectors like the Sony or Epson are the only option, as under £1500 LCDs leave a lot to be desired. (Optoma and BenQ are DLP)

Hope this helps

Bill

abacus said:
There are some good projectors by Optoma and BenQ for under £1500 that easily match (And in many respects better) the Sony that Big Boss mentions, or the top rated Epson 7200 (About the same price as the Sony but pure LCD), however one thing they do lack is the large lens adjustments of the more expensive models so more care has be taken when fixing in position.

I currently use a BenQ W1070 (Which can be picked up for about £500) and I would have no hesitation in putting it up against £1500 – 2000 projectors. (Which I did before purchasing, as I was looking for a good reasonably priced unit to last until 4K projectors become the norm)

Rainbow effect with DLP for most users is not noticeable; however for the few that are susceptible to it, then projectors like the Sony or Epson are the only option, as under £1500 LCDs leave a lot to be desired. (Optoma and BenQ are DLP)

Hope this helps

Bill

I have quite extensively demoed the Optoma HD91, Epson 7200 and 9200 and Sony HW40ES and HW55ES.

The Sony is clearly superior to all of them, especially with blacks and motion. In fact, I could not justify spending £1000 more on the HW55 as there was very little performance difference between the two.

My demo experience matches the reviews of the HW40.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Now I have the hard bit of figuring out the best price v performance one.

The Sony certainly looks tempting and is probably the only one that could surpass my current Mitsubishi HC 7000.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Sorry if I didn't make clear. I don't want to replace my Mitsubishi - but it has developed some problems that I am struggling to get fixed by anyone so a replacement is likely to be needed.
As I can't live without it (it is my only TV!) then I need to plan the replacement in advance.

Whilst it is being repaired for the 2nd time I am borrowing a BenQ 1070 - supposedly not a patch on the quality but I will be interested to see how different it is.

If any of you know of any good projector repair people then please let me know.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
About 15 miles East of Plymouth, Devon.

I'm currently using AV Partmasters as I couldn't find anybody else and they were professional on the phone. I have since found out that they do not have a any HD or HDMI sources to test my projector after cleaning! My projector came back with some strange image problems that I cannot resolve and they were unaware of due to their low-def testing.

My projector is now going back again but any ideas would be most welcome.

abacus

Xanderzdad said:
About 15 miles East of Plymouth, Devon.

I'm currently using AV Partmasters as I couldn't find anybody else and they were professional on the phone. I have since found out that they do not have a any HD or HDMI sources to test my projector after cleaning! My projector came back with some strange image problems that I cannot resolve and they were unaware of due to their low-def testing.

My projector is now going back again but any ideas would be most welcome.

It is best to contact the manufacture who will be able to point you to your nearest repair centre.

With the 1070 turn the fancy processing modes off, select Cinema mode with Brilliant Colour on, and unless you are using a bright room switch the lamp to economy mode, then use a THX test disc to set it up. (It also has user pre-sets so that you can use different settings for different types of viewing)

Hope this helps

Bill

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bill

That's really useful - thanks. I'm intrigued to see how it compares to Mitsubishi.
I must also say that Richer Sounds customer service is excellent and they've already confirmed that I can retunr the projector if it's not suitable.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
No - I couldn't find their details so I'm using AV Partsmaster. I must admit that I feel slightly foolish in that I didn't think to just contact Mitsubishi and ask them!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/contact_us

They won't have projection division listed anymore as they no longer distribute Mitsu PJs in the UK. I had my PJ cleaned out and lamp changed about a year ago with them.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Well I've got the 'cheap' Benq up and running and I am really impressed by the quality. My Mitsubishi obviously had some serious problems because this is so much brighter and more accurate in it's colour rendition.

It won't be a keeper as the distance I have it from the screen only allows me use it at minimum zoom which fills the space on my wall and is a little too big for normal viewing, but at the moment me and the family are all very happy.

It misses some of the subtlety that I remember my Mitsubishi having when it worked but it is incredible picture quality for £500 though.

Now I have to wait and see if the Mitsubishi can be repaired or not and then comes the tough decision - the £500 Benq which is OK or the £1700 Sony which will be superb (but is it worth £1200 more)?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Only a demo can tell you that. :)

IMHO, law of diminishing returns catches up at much higher prices. So definitely worth it in my books.

That was my thoughts too. The added factor is that we are renovating the downstairs kitchen / diner and I think that extra £1200 will probably be wanted for induction hob / self cleaning oven or another kitchen item.
We can live with a £500 projector for a few years but not with the current kitchen!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi BB

Thanks for the thought and it's a method, but not one I'd use.
I have the money for the both the projector and the kitchen but don't believe in spending it just because I've got it - rainy day etc.

I'm one of those people that if I don't feel I got value for money I won't sleep! *unknw*

abacus

Consider this, by the time the lamp needs replacing in the Benq or Sony, 4K projectors will be the norm, therefore if you are happy with the quality of the W1070 stick with it, as you will be taking a big hit on the £1700 projector to get a 4K projector.

I currently use the W1070 and while £1700 projectors are a little better, I personally do not consider then worth the extra £1200 when 4K units are round the corner.

As Big Boss says, only you can make the final decision as to whether it is worth the extra to you.

Bill

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bill. I'm not bothered about 4k as the content is limited but that is sort of my thoughts. I think better projector technology using LED as a light source is on the horizon and I'd rather wait for that.
The W1070 had surprised me as to how enjoyable it is.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Update:

A huge thanks Abacus (Bill). The Benq has proved itself to be fantastic - especially at that price. I am really happy with it and as you suggested it should last me until 4K or LED sources arrive.

(BB - the Sony is remaining on my wish list and I will watch how Sony progress their technology very carefully!)

Thanks again for all the advice.

TRENDING THREADS