Little Belter . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another site was waking on about a red drive belt for Rega TT's . . . only £8? . . . worth a try. Arrived today, fitted it, over size, to slack and it felt a little more forgiving in stretch mode that my excellent, 'Edwards Audio Little Belter blue belt' that I found out performed the Rega white belt.

However, the platter and belt removal prompted the cleaning of the belt/motor pulley/sub-platter drive chain. These have not been cleaned properly for 6 months, so I swabbed them with Isopropenol . . . made a surprising difference, sharpen things up, better leading edges to transients, base flowed better and one was more aware of inner detail. A small bottle of Isoprop and a more regular cleaning regime is in order, very cheap to keep on top of things . . . by the way, Edwards Little Belter blue belts (available from Deco Audio) are cheaper than white belts.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
so verdict on the red belt Cliff?

Verdict . . . ? As I did not try to listen to it because it was so slack, I cannot give a SQ verdict, nevertheless, as it was over size, mechanically it is not sound IMHO. Therefor I wasted £8 . . . ? The silver lining, it cost me £8 to discover an occasional deep clean of the belt drive system on a Rega is worth the effort. My blue belt, I believe added a sparkle to the SQ of my modified P5 after the clean.

My only thought after thinking about the issue, plastic Rega sub-platters are known to vary (over) in size, therefor running a tad fast, my own plastic sub is bigger than the aftermarket metal sub that has replaced it. Therefor, may be the bigger size might be taken up by the fractionally larger plastic platter? . . . only my personal views and observation of other comments on this issue on the web over the years. Maybe better these days?

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have bee running a white belt on my RP6 from pretty much as soon as I got it - I will be honest and say I did not notice any difference - maybe I should stick the origina stock one on and see if any reduction in SQ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I have bee running a white belt on my RP6 from pretty much as soon as I got it - I will be honest and say I did not notice any difference - maybe I should stick the origina stock one on and see if any reduction in SQ?

Long time since I compared the original Black to the White. I went to the 'white rout' when I was looking at a PSU for my P5, the PSU had a hum, took back to the dealer who, with the help of Rega over the phone re sighted the earth. Improved but not totally solved, this was very early day of owning my P5, so mods were minimal.

An interesting experiance as I look back, the dealer was so helpful, Rega did their best, the dealer had a listen on his demo Rega, he could hear the hum but said it was very quiet . . . "take it home, try it, if not to your liking, bring it back". Back the same day, money refund, been happy with the white and now blue belt in preference to an expensive PSU.

Changing onto the Edwards Little Belter, blue belt was a worth while move, slightly tighter, extended base, sharper transients, generally more refined. The changes are small but at £15 its value IMHO. As I only have a couple of 45rpm records, there is not an issue and I like the mechanical answer that the firmer more taught belts offer? Personal opinion.

CJSF

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tricky this one. To loose and you get belt slip/wander, to tight and motor vibrations are likely to be transmitted to the platter assembly.

My Thorens has a neat little arrangement whereas the drive belt is counter tensioned via a small, non-drive belt attached from an 'arm' leading through the suspended upper chassis and attaching to a special spindle surround. Neat, simple and effective.

regards

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Tricky this one. To loose and you get belt slip/wander, to tight and motor vibrations are likely to be transmitted to the platter assembly.

My Thorens has a neat little arrangement whereas the drive belt is counter tensioned via a small, non-drive belt attached from an 'arm' leading through the suspended upper chassis and attaching to a special spindle surround. Neat, simple and effective.

regards

The Red belt was so slack, the motor would need to move 1 or 2mm to give it enough tension. As it was curiosity and only £8 that made me order it, I am not going to upset the balance of what I'm happy with. My P5 is tuned to its self, not worth upsetting the apple cart?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but do belts really make that much difference?

Well that is a good Q, do speaker cables make any difference??

Apparently the Rega decks run 'fast' apparently

I just stuck a white belt on and forgot about it - just enjoy the music

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I just put the white belt on, didnt really take much notice - it doesnt sound worse but i havent been a/b demoing it.

Now thw GT Subplatter does make a difference and the Michell Tecnoweight and the TT PSU - yes all these little tweaks make a difference.

Its all about trying to get as much as you can without much outlay

PS i forgot the ceramic bearing too - i have yet to try it - but I will

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I just put the white belt on, didnt really take much notice - it doesnt sound worse but i havent been a/b demoing it.

Now thw GT Subplatter does make a difference and the Michell Tecnoweight and the TT PSU - yes all these little tweaks make a difference.

Its all about trying to get as much as you can without much outlay

PS i forgot the ceramic bearing too - i have yet to try it - but I will

Come on chaps . . . you accept sub-platter, Technoweight, PSU even a ceramic thrust bearing . . . so why put down a drive belt, it is part of the whole????

I accept the changes can be small but at the price £21 white, £15 blue, blue is better IMHO . . . they represent value for money, especially as the white and blue belt do similar as the PSU + plus a bit, if my memory serves? I have said it before, 1% here 2% there ad them all together it starts to make sense.

You have to listen carefully, the system must be working at its best, then these small delicate and subtle changes are obvious. Shout placebo if you like, but in my system the tiniest change can be heard because of the time and trouble I have taken to be sure the components from cartridge to belt, from tone arm cables to the TT support work for each other and the system as a whole.

Just dipping in here and there to change the flavor of the moment component, is not truly effective or even worth while? You may just plug and play and enjoy the music you are presented, forget there is more tied up in the £2000 worth you have invested in?

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Cliff,

I havent dismissed the white belt, just that I didnt make any effort to compare it with the stock.

I need to get used to how the KT88s sound then will start experimenting with the RP6

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Cliff,

I havent dismissed the white belt, just that I didnt make any effort to compare it with the stock.

I need to get used to how the KT88s sound then will start experimenting with the RP6

. . . Dont forget the Ceramic baring Steve, a small change, but think about it, lower friction reduces the background noise floor, you will be aware of, rather than hear innere sublties . . . infact thats how the belt can sound too, verey subtle refinements.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Ceramic Bearing ordered Cliff

Thought you already had the ceramic bearing but had not tried it. . . :?

Getting the old bearing out can be an issue. Steal ball bearing, some pople use a small 5mm magnet glued on a 5mm dowel. I use a 75mm length of silicon aquarium tube 7mm od, 4mm id, the bearing is 4.75mm dia. it slips perfectly into the tube and is held, can be withdrawn carfully. I have heard of some people using a straw and sucking onto the ball, a bit hit and miss I hear?

CJSF

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

In blindfold tests, Freddy, the person with the glass of whisky enjoyed the music more and, horror of horrors, actually forgot what colour belt his turntable was wearing. And no, you don't rub the whisky on the damn belt.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:

In blindfold tests, Freddy, the person with the glass of whisky enjoyed the music more and, horror of horrors, actually forgot what colour belt his turntable was wearing. And no, you don't rub the whisky on the damn belt.

when whisky is involved is better to turn the CD or DAC on... ;)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:

Very good point, outlaw, but what would people worry about then? Is that the cd motor I can hear? Darling, can you hear that hummimg?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a hum too, through left speaker, as apparently the Rega P3-24 (and others?) earths through one of the speaker channels?

When I rewired the arm with an isokinetic cardas silver wiring upgrade, with dedicated earth to the amp, the hum completely disappeared.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:

Very good point, outlaw, but what would people worry about then? Is that the cd motor I can hear? Darling, can you hear that hummimg?

about jitter...? ;)

TRENDING THREADS