ISOsub . . . good or bad?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been gently nudging the P5 further and further up the SQ ladder. First an SRM acrylic platter, then a Rega white drive belt, followed by the ISOweight, and finally the SRM Sub Platter damping kit. That was it . . . ? I tweaked the damping kit a little, it was OTT in its standard form coupled with the acrylic platter.

That was it, I thought, one was now into minute adjustment on the stylus down force, giving a totally audible and different voice to the system. I got to a point where everything was to my liking. But, its that big 'but' again, I could hear a slight boxy sound, in female voice, nothing serious, but it was there, some would call it warm. I put it doen to the 'plastic Rega sub platter'. It could be eliminated with a little adjustment to the damping but that resulted in a brighter top end, of the two I opted for a 'slight boxy warmth'.

Thinking, as I do, what about the 'GT 2 ISOsub platter'? . . . might be worth a try, offered on sale or return, nothing to loose.

ISOtinetik's ordering web site is not the most user friendly in the world, they were very helpful and we sorted it, The GT ISOsub arrived, with oil, ruby bearing, a magnet on a stick and an alcohol wipe. Destructions were clear enough. They suggested running in for 24 hours . . . ?

Me, wait 24 hours . . . first reaction after installation was, incredible detail at the top and in the middle, but where has the base gone??? So I ran the TT for about 4 hours, had another go, better but still topy. Think a little, its very susceptible to tiny down force changes . . . tiny bit extra, better, and again, better again. By this time Hazel was in the room with the Horlicks. We listened and fiddled, not perfect but much better, I left it running in until this evening after work.

I've been thinking about it all day . . . the signs were encouraging.

24 hours have passed, Hazel made a cup's, we sat down to listen . . . gone through all our normal test tracks . . . settled nicely, Hazel could her the improvements in the kitchen, compared to last night, she said.

So what are they? . . . very hard to say, we are not talking chalk and cheese here, 'subtle' at this level . . . however, the word 'reality' comes to mind, and that hint of 'boxynes' has gone, 'smooth' is another word that describes my thoughts.

So its not a mind blowing must have, although as suggested earlier, we are pushing the levels to which I believe the P5 is capable, with out totally re building the deck, then it wont be a P5!

If I had to go back to my 'CJSF modified damping, standard plastic sub platter' . . . or money was an issue, then I would be happy. If one was comparing a standard, undamped, plastic platter, to an ISOplat, then the move is obvious.

I have actually, 'lightly damped the ISOsub' with some blocks that I have cut to fit in the machined holes, with out these, it would have been back to the original damped platter.

The clarity is amazing but its to bright 'for me' with out the extra damping I put in . . . Other set ups and tastes . . . each to his own? That extra damping was the clincher for me, took the top edge off, tightened up the base, I will see how things go over Christmas.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
An update, since I posted . . . I have given the ISOsub another few hours running in and another 2 hours listen . . . its playing in, in fact I recon its there? The last record before bed was Chris Rea 'Dancing with Strangers', it was late, I was tired but had to listen to both sides . . . I have never heard that album sound so good, compulsive listening . . .

Frankly, the run up to Christmas is going to get hectic, I'm going to give it a rest now, no fiddling, just listen to wind down. Make up for it after Christmas . . . I'm off until Tuesday 3rd. Waiting for a couple of CD's and I have the vinyl of 'Raising Sand', not yet played! . . . Plus, I have a new cartridge to try . . . !!! roll on Christmas/New year week. Still loads of old albums and CD's I've not head for 20 years, many of my Dads I have never heard.:dance:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I did a second update last night . . . that disappeared into the ether?:wall: So here is a synopsis of my thoughts after last night's two sessions.

The ISOsub-platter has moved from OK to awesome . . . well over 30 hours running in, it was like a switch had been thrown. Compelling listening, trying this record then that one, what about . . . listening to music is always a pleasure, but now its tinged with anticipation! There is an 'air in the music' that has a cave like ambiance, thats the only way to describe it, ambient information is presented one has never heard before, the hifi element simply does not exist, one is listening to a personal musical performance.

Base lines are tune full, voice articulation is so easy, top end is sharp, clean and extended, dynamics come with a razor sharp leading.

Up to this point, most of my P5 tweaks have fallen in the description of subtle, adding to the whole . . . after the 30 hours of running in and my fitting the 'CJSF damping plugs' . . . the changes affected by the ISOsub are far from subtle. I am listening to a whole new level of music reproduction.

OTT? . . . sorry but that how it is, I had a session yesterday early evening with some, crash, bang, wallop! . . . amazing, woolly base lines have tunes, I'm hearing harmonics across the musical spectrum that one was simply not aware of, helping to create that 'cave like sound', top frequencies are extended and pure . . .

I have still to properly tune all this new sound, into a truly cohesive performance, there are still hints of things going on that need drawing out . . . How on earth is my basic entry level system copping . . . I simply dont know, but it is. Off work over Christmas and New Year, I will be able to spend time tidying up the adjustments and fettling the bits that are 'Heath Robinson' . . . more listening, tough life, some one has to do it :dance:

Final cherry on the cake, will be a new cartridge that is winging its way at this moment . . . 8)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . I must be boring you all, no reaction . . . ? Ah well, got in early from work this afternoon, did the tidying and fettling on the Heath Robinson bits of the system, reset a tweak or two. Received a very interesting email from Isokinetik. Able to relax and listed to Peter Gabriel, Carol Kidd, Emmylou Harris, Jennifer Warnes, how did it sound? I have lined up for later a few more favourites, plus the new vinyl that came through the post Tuesday by Alison Krouss and Robert Plant 'Raising Sand', CD of the same came today, I will enjoy the comparison . . . you all have a nice evening.

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Well seems like I will be buying one in January with a 12mm platter thanks for the review.

Enjoy a musical Christmas.

Gtncj

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gtncj said:
Well seems like I will be buying one in January with a 12mm platter thanks for the review.

Gtncj

Hi Gtncj, a pointer to consider, all the attributes I have given in my posts are as the 'sum of the whole' . . . so from my experience, the first item is an ISOweight, helps the cartridge to track better, extracts more information. Then the platter and sub-platter, they will be able to deliver/present the extra information from the ISOweight/cartridge combination.

Just my thoughts, on how I would go about it . . .

CJSF

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
CJSF said:
Gtncj said:

Gtncj

Hi Gtncj, a pointer to consider, all the attributes I have given in my posts are as the 'sum of the whole' . . . so from my experience, the first item is an ISOweight, helps the cartridge to track better, extracts more information. Then the platter and sub-platter, they will be able to deliver/present the extra information from the ISOweight/cartridge combination.

CJSF

I've just been reading you post and I was looking to get the TT PSU in the new year and then start on the ISO upgrades - always thought the plastic subplatter was an obvious starting point :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
mitch65 said:
CJSF said:
Gtncj said:

Gtncj

CJSF

I've just been reading you post and I was looking to get the TT PSU in the new year and then start on the ISO upgrades - always thought the plastic subplatter was an obvious starting point :)

Trust me Mitch . . . the 'ISOweight' is the first item to start with, it extracts the best from everything else . . . thats my personal view. It allows you to set the initial tracking weight, as with out the ISOweight, in my case under normal circumstances the Ortofon 2M Blue tracks at 2.2gs. Fit the ISOweight and then slowly edge the tracking weight back, tiny increments, you will notice the original sound was thick and heavy, in comparison with where you can go. And you can to light, it still track but with lose of detail.

Its great, because you can hear the minute tracking weight changes, you decide how you like the system to voice. Obvious the audible changes are more distinct as you ad the Acrylic and then the ISOsub, the system becomes musically tunable. :dance:

CJSF

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
CJSF said:
mitch65 said:
CJSF said:
Gtncj said:

Gtncj

CJSF

Trust me Mitch . . . the 'ISOweight' is the first item to start with, it extracts the best from everything else . . . thats my personal view. It allows you to set the initial tracking weight, as with out the ISOweight, in my case under normal circumstances the Ortofon 2M Blue tracks at 2.2gs. Fit the ISOweight and then slowly edge the tracking weight back, tiny increments, you will notice the original sound was thick and heavy, in comparison with where you can go. And you can to light, it still track but with lose of detail.

Its great, because you can hear the minute tracking weight changes, you decide how you like the system to voice. Obvious the audible changes are more distinct as you ad the Acrylic and then the ISOsub, the system becomes musically tunable. :dance:

CJSF

At about half the cost of the Michell Technoweight (which is bloody good) I'm willing to give it a go.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
mitch65 said:
CJSF said:
mitch65 said:
CJSF said:
Gtncj said:

Gtncj

CJSF

CJSF

At about half the cost of the Michell Technoweight (which is bloody good) I'm willing to give it a go.

Personal view, the Technoweight, nicely engineered that it is, but made of more than one part, they move! therefore are likely to 'rattle' at the frequencies in a tone arm, not desirable? The ISOweight is less sophisticated, but in this instance, in my humble opinion, its simplicity is an advantage? ISOweight available from FleBay at £39.

Been tweaking again this afternoon (beats working!) new development, taking the 'sub-P damping plugs' to the next level, 'CJSF MkII Asymmetric damping' 8).

I'm currently listening to some wonderful music, and looking at an Ortofon M2 Black on my desk . . . job for Christmas week. No system changes at the moment, keep everything nicely balanced, I'm on a roll . . . :bounce:

CJSF

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Also the technoweight is not ideally suited to the rb300 being designed with the simpler rb250 in mind. Take your point about structural integrity though, Rather ironic really when you consider that the Rega arms are all one piece construction for that very reason.

TRENDING THREADS