Linn streamers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Hi Ellis....I was dithering whether to rip flac or wav files and some say that the wav files didn't carry id files with them and it was best to rip flac basically for convenience...I think . I'm no expert buy I've already ripped around 400 cd's in flac with the level 5 (recommended)codec.....have I done correctly?lol.should I continue with wav or is it six and half a dozen.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi Ellis....I was dithering whether to rip flac or wav files and some say that the wav files didn't carry id files with them and it was best to rip flac basically for convenience...I think . I'm no expert buy I've already ripped around 400 cd's in flac with the level 5 (recommended)codec.....have I done correctly?lol.should I continue with wav or is it six and half a dozen.
I'm not up to date in this, but I've definitely heard of strong preferences for WAV over FLAC in the past. It might be a bit like cable preference though, and simply predisposition. Worth experimenting though, surely?

insider9

nopiano said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'm not up to date in this, but I've definitely heard of strong preferences for WAV over FLAC in the past.  It might be a bit like cable preference though, and simply predisposition.  Worth experimenting though, surely?
Funny you should say that. I have a mate who will first ripped all his music to FLAC and now he converted it all to WAV and he claims he can hear the difference.

I've not compared the two myself. But he's also big on cables.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I started with Meridian kit and ripped my collection to Flac - as recommended.

I then moved away from Meridian as a source and tested both flac and Wav I thought Wav was slightly better - less soft and fuzzy by compare but its definately a cables thing so ripped the whole lot again.

I have then ripped it all again 2 more times after learning of other factors that might affect SQ - But I am barking mad compared to a normal human.

I wouldnt panic on it - do a quick test for yourself and if you think its worth it re rip the important albums tom you and use Wav going forward. Or just hit format and start the process again.

Another factor for me I always set the dvdrom drive to rip at its lowest speed only. Way I figure it lower power consumption on the 12v motor and lower noise in the process

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Come on Motivation - anything is worth doing in the name of better SQ - all that money spent on kit and speakers - it can only sound as good as it starts :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Come on Motivation - anything is worth doing in the name of better SQ - all that money spent on kit and speakers - it can only sound as good as it starts :)
Regards the motivation and improvement etc but is it real?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If its real to me, thats all that matters to me. If you think about it - It makes no difference to use WAV to Flac for metadata only storage size - so why add a conversion process to the chain when you dont need to - it cant in any way make the sound better, only worse. If your compressing to save space then thats different.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If its real to me, thats all that matters to me. If you think about it - It makes no difference to use WAV to Flac for metadata only storage size - so why add a conversion process to the chain when you dont need to - it cant in any way make the sound better, only worse. If your compressing to save space then thats different.

i get where your comming from - and am with you on that point whether it makes a differnce or not - on average how much more space does wav take up comparred to flac though?

Also if the 'other memember' is replacing his innous - whats he getting instead

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its the same size unless you compress the flac then it depends on how much compression is applied to the file.

Selling the Innuos to go DIY to allow him to incorporate some things into the source and for the fun of it as well

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Its the same size unless you compress the flac then it depends on how much compression is applied to the file.

Selling the Innuos to go DIY to allow him to incorporate some things into the source and for the fun of it as well 

Thanks are in order
Thank you for making me paranoid regards flac file sq
Now i have to redo all my cds

So thanks for that.

Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

Thanks are in order Thank you for making me paranoid regards flac file sq Now i have to redo all my cds

So thanks for that.
These forums can be dangerous! Can you try a couple of albums to see if it matters to you? (I think it was a Devialet dealer that first told me they clearly hear a difference)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

Thanks are in order

So thanks for that.

Thats funny. I am only saying what I do. You do your own thing. Dbpoweramp is a good reco whatever way you go with it though.

Better stopping now than getting to the end and wanting to start again :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

Thanks are in order

So thanks for that.

Thats funny. I am only saying what I do. You do your own thing. Dbpoweramp is a good reco whatever way you go with it though.

Better stopping now than getting to the end and wanting to start again :)

Even if i can't hear a difference ill have a nagging poison in my mind haha

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
FLAC is a lossless compression. It take about half the space of WAV and is easier to deal with. It cannot sound any different, the decompressed file is identical to the original. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a nut case.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
hammill said:
FLAC is a lossless compression. It take about half the space of WAV and is easier to deal with. It cannot sound any different, the decompressed file is identical to the original. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a nut case.

But when is the new star wars trailer coming out?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrew mate contact Gazzip re the innuos he is ready
He also has a mini dsp dirac live box that he wont use now you should snap them both up

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrew mate contact Gazzip re the innuos he is ready
He also has a mini dsp dirac live box that he wont use now you should snap them both up

Will do, later on when i can get on my pc
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts