Linn streamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Sometimes these types of units can be made to play nice with an external ssd in a caddy if you format the ssd in the right way.

Had that issue with a Pioneer N50a a pal owns but I got it working for him.

A lightly used Innuos Zenith option 1 I still think for you or maybe the New Naim Core as an alternative. Probably more expensive though.

I think you need to pay attention to the library software options with whatever you choose. If the library software is bad the whole experience breaks down

I think you right about the software
I like to hit random/shuffle on jr(my music is only divided into 2 genre's: hard and soft) and just not know going to play next.

I know the aries can work with jremote

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
better sound quality is more important to me personally - I keep meaning to try roon but BubbleDSNext on Android is the best of the cheaper / freeby ones I have tried.

Mcontrol is also pretty good

insider9

ellisdj said:
better sound quality is more important to me personally - I keep meaning to try roon but BubbleDSNext on Android is the best of the cheaper / freeby ones I have tried.

Mcontrol is also pretty good
If you're using PC for playback Roon is absolutely incredible. It's one one the best pieces of software I've tried and I'm not just saying hifi related.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Also worth considering if the aeries can use Jremote they are likely running a headless version of jriver as the main music playback software

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Also worth considering if the aeries can use Jremote they are likely running a headless version of jriver as the main music playback software

Ja
Can younot do some reviews of these for me (us)

Functionality and sound quality foremost

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Of course I would - I need access to them to do it I am not in a position to buy them all to do it sadly otherwise I would with no hesitation.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I understand that writing constantly on SSD decrease their lives, so I'd use a regular mechanical HDD on whatever streamer you buy. The speed of the drive is important if you're running an OS on it, but I don't think that playing audio (and video) files would be a concern. Any 7200rpm regular hard drive is up to the job. We're talking about reading at 140, 150, 160 MB/s (and faster).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro said:
I understand that writing constantly on SSD decrease their lives, so I'd use a regular mechanical HDD on whatever streamer you buy. The speed of the drive is important if you're running an OS on it, but I don't think that playing audio (and video) files would be a concern. Any 7200rpm regular hard drive is up to the job. We're talking about reading at 140, 150, 160 MB/s (and faster).

Its also about added vibration and noise that you dont add with a ssd

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ssd all the way. You only write to it every now and then.
Low power consumption nothing mechanical lower noise still some.

Normal ssd can be vastly improved

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
A SSD is fine if you don't have a massive library like me. I'm filling up a 4TB HDD. A 4TB SDD 2.5'' SATA II here would cost around 1500EUR...

I was just giving my two cents, but of course the OP will know the hardware that best fits his purposes. :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro said:
A SSD is fine if you don't have a massive library like me. I'm filling up a 4TB HDD. A 4TB SDD 2.5'' SATA II here would cost around 1500EUR...

I was just giving my two cents, but of course the OP will know the hardware that best fits his purposes. :)

4gig is massive for flac
Wow in that case id also go hhd

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Horses for courses I would rather have 1 GB of music sounding better than 4gb sounding worse. Thats just me though.

I dont know how you navigate through that huge library - that is huge.

Unless its lots of full dsd albums eating up the space

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Horses for courses I would rather have 1 GB of music sounding better than 4gb sounding worse. Thats just me though.

I dont know how you navigate through that huge library - that is huge.

Unless its lots of full dsd albums eating up the space

The HDD is sitting on a NAS, in another room. I also keep backups. Currently the HDD is at aprox. half of its capacity but I still haven't ripped half of my CD collection...

I got fed up with all the space the CDs took, plus moving flats and so on, so...

Navigating is easy, folders with music genres :D

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Do you use an album art based library management software / app?

I flick through, well scroll down all the album art for my whole collection which isnt massive but can be a pain still then chose what I want to listen to.

I was thinking 3 x as many discs would take ages to get from top to bottom.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Do you use an album art based library management software / app?

I flick through, well scroll down all the album art for my whole collection which isnt massive but can be a pain still then chose what I want to listen to.

I was thinking 3 x as many discs would take ages to get from top to bottom.

I didn't bother with the artwork, because the software I use to rip CDs (Asunder; I'm running linux) doesn't fetch CD covers from the web. I'm using BubbleUpnP and it seems it only recognizes (that or the NAS) the artwork if its embedded in the FLAC files, so...

But to be honest I don't really care.

Well, if you use folders and subfolders it's a cakewalk. It's a big digital IKEA shelf. Sort of ;)

I use plex media server on my synology nas and it is art work and alphabetical based with all the letters running down the right hand side of the screen....press a letter and it takes you straight down to the artist beginning with......it does come with a small subscription charge of £3.99 per month but it's the best server I've come across as yet. Oh and it can also do video if that's your thing.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I use plex media server on my synology nas and it is art work and alphabetical based with all the letters running down the right hand side of the screen....press a letter and it takes you straight down to the artist beginning with......it does come with a small subscription charge of £3.99 per month but it's the best server I've come across as yet. Oh and it can also do video if that's your thing.
I have come across plex media server on the synology software user interface but not really bothered with it. I think I may have actually downloaded it, but never saw it through. Now you mentioned it's good may give it a go, cause the Oppo software which I use can get buggy sometimes.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Because of its eac database it checks the rip against its database to make sure its spot on. I dont know how I came across it I just assumed it would be the go to. I think I started with Exact Copy which I am sure is built into dbpoweramp

Db poweramp gives absolute accurate rips and you can taylor the compression to your needs....even in lossless flac a little bit of compression can be used,still giving you 95%-99% of the full fat rip or you can up it to full lossless if you want.If you want to rip your cd collection and only do it once having piece of mind it has been done with bit perfect rips...this is the go to application.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts