Linn Sondek

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Your Linn LP12 budget will cover a brand new Rega P3-24 with Rega TT-PSU.

It will also cover a new Technics SL1200 (or 1210) with Origin live Rega arm adaptor plate and RB250 arm.

Either of these options - with an Ortofon 2M Blue or Goldring 1022X - will sound incredible and represent a siginificant upgrade on the Debut III. Neither will need 'tweaking' for the rest of it's (or your) life to get the best out of it. OK the Rega may need a new belt every few years.

matthewpiano

Its all about whether you want to get more and more involved with the purely hi-fi aspects of this hobby, or whether you are more interested in enjoying the music and using quality gear to service that. For me, its always the latter. I don't want to be compelled to fiddle with a piece of kit every time I listen. Thats why, if spending right up to budget, I would go down one of the routes suggested by Chebby. Both of those suggestions are about putting the music first and getting the best out of vinyl so that you can really enjoy the atmosphere that the format can bring to your listening.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:

Indeed to all that - In fact, it's gone from (and I paraphrase here) vinyl not being worth the bother to actually, it's quite good this Debut of mine and then on to one of the most tweaked and expensive decks ever!

Isn't hi-fi great like that!

I'm not getting a Sondek anymore though (sorry about the irrelevent title of thread now...care to change it mods?) I'm getting a TD160 with a simple Goldring 1042 cartridge - no modding, tweaking at all; just pure, simple, unadulterated music flowing from the groove to get me in the groove!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:That's more like it...

Course, it's still a suspended deck, fiddle central....
Damn. Oh well, maybe a bit of fiddling...why do suspended decks require fiddling anyway?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:I'm not getting a Sondek anymore though (sorry about the irrelevent title of thread now...care to change it mods?) I'm getting a TD160 with a simple Goldring 1042 cartridge - no modding, tweaking at all; just pure, simple, unadulterated music flowing from the groove to get me in the groove!

Good call...

http://www.thorens.com/turntables/drives/td-160-hd.html

My 'lottery choice' is here....

http://www.thorens.com/uploads/pics/image-td350-4.jpg

[OK, i'm full of s@@t! What I would really like is a Loricraft restored Garrard 301 in a walnut plinth with a 12" SME 312 tonearm and an AT33PTG with a Trichord Dino + PS feeding some pure class A valve system with Tannoy 12" concentrics hanging off the end!)

T

the record spot

Hughes123:

Isn't hi-fi great like that!

I think it's more the buyer I was referring to than the hobby...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS