Linn Sneaky Ds with Cyrus 6 xp VS Audiolab 8200cd / Cyrus 6xp.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI Guys

Want some thoughts, ive just returned from auditioning the naim uniti , audiolab 8200cd.and 8200a naim cd5, nait5 combo. and a linn sneaky Ds hooked up to the naim nait 5i

What i want an opinion is what would sound better, the Audiolab 8200cd with say a cyrus 6xp (midrange award winners).

Or

The Linn sneaky DS with a cyrus 6xp fed a rip of the same cd. (using the built in linn dac.) ?

Ideally i would like to move to full stream system ( but not at the expence of sound )

Budget is £1500 ish, the dealer for the naim and cyrus has a large sale on at the moment that brings the above combo's within budget.

Dealer was adamant that the linn sneaky DS was better than a same price cd player.

For the record I found the audio lab a great listen, it was teamed up with the audiolab 8200a but the listening room was massive, so was very difficult to hear bass at all, but detail was great.

What will have the better dac the linn sneaky or the audiolab.8200cd ?

I went to a number of dealers yesterday so was difficult to compare them because of the different rooms.

The naim uniti was good but lacked scale compared to the cd5/nait 5i combo.

The sneaky ds when pluged into the Naim nait 5 sounded great, (but i could not compare the 8200 as it was a different shop.)

What do you guys think?

Tim

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
tim20:Ideally i would like to move to full stream system ( but not at the expence of sound)

Budget is £1500 ish
How about the AVI Neutron Five 2.1 system (£1299) connected to a Squeezebox Touch (£200).
Allows you to stream upto 24bit/96kHz files from your computer, a NAS drive, or by directly connecting an external HDD.

You can also connect your TV/DVD/STB for an all-in-one setup.

tim20:but to be honest the wife will not have stand mount speakers, so probably a dead start. I use Kef Q5se at the moment, they are quite small and thin.
The Neutron Five are quite small (and good looking) speakers. If you want to keep your current floorstanders you can buy the Neutron Five 2.1 Subwoofer on its own for £900, saving even more money.

Your KEF IQ5SE are very good speakers.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Why would you want to spend money on the Linn Sneaky DS (which has an in-built amp) if you intend to use it with another amplifier?

Surely a better option would be to buy a cheaper Media Steamer (such as a Marantz for example), maybe coupled with a better amp?

A

Anonymous

I would expect the Linn to sound better.

It's also got no mechanical parts to wear out, internet radio built in, and you would be keeping your hard earned money in the UK economy rather than giving it to a Chinese company, so it's more socially responsible too.

The Linn software is a bit of a faff to use though, but it is improving..

A

Anonymous

jockey.wilson:
Why would you want to spend money on the Linn Sneaky DS (which has an in-built amp) if you intend to use it with another amplifier?

Surely a better option would be to buy a cheaper Media Steamer (such as a Marantz for example), maybe coupled with a better amp?

What I was thinking about was the DAC in the Linn, would this be far superior to the Marantz,

I believe you can turn off the amp in the sneaky to use it as an source.

The other option would be to move up the scale again and go for the Linn Majik ds. with a cyrus or nain amp.

I found the naim amp had plenty of clout so coupled with the linn ds's it should give a nice clear weighty sound.?

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Still think that you are paying twice for an amp...

How about the Marantz into a Cyrus 8XPd using the digital input? Or for a Naim setup, Uniqute with a power amp (NAP 155Xs). I imagine that would sound pretty special.

manicm

Do not be quick to dismiss the Linn Sneaky DS. Yes it's amp is rather redundant, but this can by bypassed completely to use amplification of your choice.

Also, you're getting a more future proof system - while they're not prolific, DS is one of the very few streamers at any price to play 24/192 audio files natively.

And it's built-in DAC is top notch too - you'd have to spend 4 figure sums to improve on it, for both sound quality and the ability to play true 24/192 audio.

Linn also offer regular, documented software updates for the DS as well.

A

Anonymous

manicm:
Do not be quick to dismiss the Linn Sneaky DS. Yes it's amp is rather redundant, but this can by bypassed completely to use amplification of your choice.

Also, you're getting a more future proof system - while they're not prolific, DS is one of the very few streamers at any price to play 24/192 audio files natively.

And it's built-in DAC is top notch too - you'd have to spend 4 figure sums to improve on it, for both sound quality and the ability to play true 24/192 audio.

Linn also offer regular, documented software updates for the DS as well.

Yes, im going for another listen this thursday, this time using the sneaky with a cyrus 8 power amp, so using the sneaky as the source, dac and its pre amp, straight into the amp.

Dont know if there's any benefit in going power rather than integrated.

I will let you know what it sounds like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts