Linn Axis Turntable Upgades

Eugene Beirne

Sep 28, 2022
Visit site
I am in the process of upgrading my Mk2 turntable and I was wondering if I can change out the orginal motor for an LP12 motor. I have already installed the Hercules II power supply. I did note the LP12 motor has more connection wires than the three used for the Axis motor.
Can anyone advise me if this is possible.

I am in the process of upgrading my Mk2 turntable and I was wondering if I can change out the orginal motor for an LP12 motor. I have already installed the Hercules II power supply. I did note the LP12 motor has more connection wires than the three used for the Axis motor.
Is the original motor still working?
If so keep it as the LP12 motor is quite different and may not be an upgrade.
I would look at Origin Live upgrade kit, but you already have the Hercules you say so this may not be a good idea.
Speak to Linn or a dealer?

Eugene Beirne

Sep 28, 2022
Visit site
Hello, the motor is still working but slow to start up, hence my question to consider changing it. I will contact Linn to see what they suggest as an option.

eugene

I fitted a new belt, so I assumed it is not the belt. I could put the old one on and see if this makes a difference.

eugene
I free that it may be more than a belt issue.....

" it features a rather unusual and sophisticated electronic drive system. Its twenty-four-pole synchronous motor is operated from an internal oscillator and two low-distortion Class A amplifiers (one for each of the motor phases). According to Linn, the careful adjustment of the phase and amplitude of the two driving signals removes much of the usual motor noise and vibration. A control circuit monitors the motor’s speed, applying full power during start-up to get the platter up to speed. When the correct speed (either 33-1/3 or 45 rpm) is reached, the motor’s drive voltage is automatically reduced to maintain that speed, which also further reduces motor noise."

I fitted a new belt, so I assumed it is not the belt. I could put the old one on and see if this makes a difference.

eugene
If it is slow to reach speed, but once there it’s steady then it might be better to leave as it is. Definitely ask Linn, as although it’s way past even their generous support, they are usually very helpful. Helpline@linn.Co.uk usually replied to by Colin.

Did the Hercules bypass the original supply that Al mentions above? I know that early Valhalla boards from the Sondek need replacement parts after thirty years or so. I’m assuming it isn’t, say, the bearing in need of lubricant or some other issue?

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just checked in and noticed this. I performed exactly this upgrade (Hercules II that is, not LP12 motor) and it really improved the sound quality no end.

The LP 12 motor is basically the same one, and the original wiring diagram I got with the Herc was for the LP12. I had to email Gordon at Stamford Audio to get the proper Axis instructions.

So it would work electrically. But I'm not sure how it's supposed to work mechanically. The motor is anchored to the Power Supply PCB that is attached to the bottom of the turntable body. Looks like some potentially hazardous surgery there, and if my motor ever went I'd be shopping for a complete unit being sold by somebody who didn't realise it's just the caps that have gone.

If it's maintaining speed once it's got there, I'd leave well alone. If I ever get impatient at my Axis reaching speed, I just give the platter a flick with my finger to encourage it. The real difference I noticed from the Herc wasn't any gross change in 'wowing' it was a rock solid focussed soundstage. If you get that too, then it's all good.

BTW the second best upgrade I got after the Herc PSU was to treat the Basik Plus to a Hana SH cartridge. Bliss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts