Like Beats Pro Headphones but for a 38 year old dad

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I have been looking for some nice headphones for a good while now.

I love the sound from the Dr Dre Beats Pro High Performance headphones, these ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beats-Performance-Professional-Headphones-Monster/dp/B003FO1MTG

But I am a 38 (nearly 39) year old dad who buys his clothes from Boden and works in a hospital. I couldn't really get away with wearing these 'phones.

Could anyone recommend a similar sound, same sort of comfort, and similarish (or cheaper) price. I live in Leeds so don't have a massive choice of places to go and try the 'phones on. I tired the Dr Dre ones in John Lewis'

Thank you

R

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Reg73 said:
But I am a 38 (nearly 39) year old dad who buys his clothes from Boden and works in a hospital. I couldn't really get away with wearing these 'phones.

Reg, if you like the way they sound and you're happy with the price, you should just buy them. I don't worry too much about other peoples percetions of me. I'm hearing a good sound whilst sat at my desk, what others want to think is up to them.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You can buy a lot better headphones for a lot less money and not look like a homeboy at the same time.

Look at something like a pair of V-Moda M80's, Beyerdynamic DT-770, Sony XB-500....the list is endless. You can always take advantage of Amazon's distance selling regulations to try them and return if you don't like.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both.

I am also under the impression that you can get 'phones as good for less money but I am more after recommendations of 'phones which have a very similar sound rather ones which are as good, if that makes sense.

idc

Hi, I would try out these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-331394-0010-Bose%C2%AE-audio-headphones/dp/B002LK2QJK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337854397&sr=1-10

and these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AHD1100-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003YUBE4E

which can be found to audition at HMV or Apple stores. They have a sligh bass emphasis without ruining the upper range details.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey Reg, welcome to the forums. I woud suggest the denon ahd-5000s they have excellent bass response but are slightly on the warm side. May be a bit more expensive than the pros, I'm not sure of the current price tbh. If you are looking for cheaper choices, I would suggest the sennheiser hd-25 2's but they certainly wouldn't give you the exaggerated bass of the Pro's....they do sound beautiful though and are more detailed headphones. Finally, there is the ahd-2000s from Denon again....much cheaper than the pros and have a nice warm sound to them.

Hope this helps,

Shafin

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Why do you feel you can't wear them? if it's just the logos then surely they're easily removed or masked.

I doubt very much anyone is going to be worrying about your choice in 'phones anyway, unless you're dad dancing with a baseball cap on backwards at the same time.
smiley-wink.gif

idc said:
I have just seen how much the Beats cost :roll:
I mised that! :O

There's always the dedicated Headphone sub-forum.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/headphones-etc

A

Anonymous

Thank you everyone, I will have a look at those.

I should have said, I will be using these with my iPhone 4S, iPad 3 or MacBook Air.

Can I ask...

What sort of impedience should I be looking at?

I notice that the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO come in both 250 and 80 Ohm versions.

Thanks

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Reg73 said:
Thank you everyone, I will have a look at those.

I should have said, I will be using these with my iPhone 4S, iPad 3 or MacBook Air.

Can I ask...

What sort of impedience should I be looking at?

I notice that the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO come in both 250 and 80 Ohm versions.

Thanks
If running them from a portable device the lower impedance cans would be better. My 80 ohm dt770's are ok from an iPhone but really need a little portable external amp to get the best from them, I think they do the dt770's in a 32ohm version now.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I found the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro to have pretty flat response, nice detail and very closed but also veiled. It lacks bass (warmth) and upper end sparkle in a big way, fine for studio use but not so much musical appreciation. Unless you can audition it first I would stear well clear of that one. The Denon AH-D2000 on the other hand is nice and warm, much more like your beats but just better all round I think. They will run easily off all your Apple gear and they suit your 'Dad' style requirement pretty well too I think :p. The only thing to look out for with the D2000 is although they are closed back they don't isolate very well, better than Grado yes but not brilliant for noisy environments. They also have the same driver as the considerably more expensive D5000 model which only really adds some wood backs (I think).

Also I would recommend adding a little portable DAC/amp like a Fiio E7, E10 or E17 (depending on funds) for use with your Macbook, it will add more bass and detail.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if the Macbook Air range have a similar problem to the Macbok Pros, but if you use really low impedence 'phones, you can get an audible hiss, it's certainly apparent on my Macbook using my Sennheiser in ears.

Personally I'd check the impedence ranges of all your devices and get something at the higher end of the scale.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
I don't know if the Macbook Air range have a similar problem to the Macbok Pros, but if you use really low impedence 'phones, you can get an audible hiss, it's certainly apparent on my Macbook using my Sennheiser in ears.

Personally I'd check the impedence ranges of all your devices and get something at the higher end of the scale.
The hiss will always be there and at a constant level no matter what impedance headphones are attached. With the lower impedance headphones it takes less voltage to drive them hence the hiss sounds louder. The problem comes when using the higher impedance headphones with the Mac, the hiss will be quieter but it won't have the voltage swing to drive them to an adequate level without sounding rubbish, hence the recommendation of a cheap external headphone amplifier/booster. If he's going to use it with a mac, iPhone etc a combined H/P/DAC might be a good option.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I get hiss from my Galaxy tab with simple low impedance earbuds (CX300, imp 16 ohms), I get none with my (still quite low, but higher) Sennheiser HD595s(imp 50 ohms). Or at least none that I can hear.

As for headphones. Perhaps try the Fanny Wangs. Similar style and intended audience, but not quite so in your face. They are supposed to be pretty good too.

(silly name though).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts