Best headphones for a music lover?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a big music lover, who primarily listens to dance music and hip hop. I use the InCase Sonic Over Ear Headphones, which strangely enough for the relatively cheap price tag give me a more rounded, clear sound than many other headphones close to and slightly above their price range. I think the Dre Beats line are horrendous, even the higher end ones, and have yet to find a pair that offers me what I want: near perfect sound (I do not need actually perfect sound, just a sort of 'higher level' of sound than most people are used to).

Can anyone recommend me a pair of over ear headphones that are in the £200-400 (or about $300-500) price range? What I want is the best that money can buy, ones that are known for providing rich, clear, bassey sound. I like a good, very loud, thumping bass but having clear, distinct mids and highs are extremely important as well (I don't want them to be muffled by powerful bass). Another VERY important concern for me is comfort. The InCase Sonic phones are extremely comfy, and therefore I would want over ear headphones that have either foamy padding or leather for maximum comfort.

Basically, I'm an amateur, and need pros to tell me the best ones to get! :)

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Sennheiser hd650 is a good choice, they are very musical with a solid bass foundation. But do take note that they generally need a high quality heaphone amp to really sing. These are open back style headphones so does not give much "isolation" for outside noise aswell as that others around you will also hear some sound from them.

If you would rather have closed back headphones then Denon AH-D600 and Sennheiser Momentum are both nice alternatives.

In all cases try to audition pairs which have been "burnt in", since the sound from headphones generally change quite a bit with use.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Your description of bass is more like a Philips L1 or X1 than a Sennheiser 650, since the 650 is fairly neutral. Another headphone that has good bass impact that may be even a better choice than the Philips is the Sennheiser Amperior.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Exoticsounds said:
Sennheiser hd650 is a good choice, they are very musical with a solid bass foundation. But do take note that they generally need a high quality heaphone amp to really sing. These are open back style headphones so does not give much "isolation" for outside noise aswell as that others around you will also hear some sound from them.

If you would rather have closed back headphones then Denon AH-D600 and Sennheiser Momentum are both nice alternatives.

In all cases try to audition pairs which have been "burnt in", since the sound from headphones generally change quite a bit with use.
I like your thinking! I would also recommend the HD650, yeah it's more neutral than some but it does have some decent bass body and wanting big bass that's not overblown is extremely subjective. I love my bass, but right now if I had to live with one headphone forever it would be the HD600, which is very slightly less warm than the HD650. For more bass kick you'll proabbly want to stick to closed backs, so I also recommend the Beyer DT770 Pro Limited Edition. I guess I will stay away from my usual SoundMAGIC HP100 recommendation, although I do love the bass on there - it's very good, but maybe more neutral than the HD650.

Also agree with the Momentum and the Philips L1, but they are not the most comfy. Not bad, just not as good as the others.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
quadpatch said:
......now if I had to live with one headphone forever it would be the HD600, which is very slightly less warm than the HD650.

They are good aren't they and comfortable to boot, not one for the bass heads though.
Really good yeah, so well rounded I can't imagine many people disliking them. The comfort and the soundstage was just wonderful too. They might not be for bass heads but as open backs go their low end is nicely full. They definitely suffer in the bass kick arena most, but it's not completely useless there, there is a decent amount of attack and speed considering the general sonic balance.

I would like to add that it might be nice to split some of the OP's budget off into a USB DAC / head amp if the listening is going to be done primarily from a computer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts