Light rock

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Just some help. Listening to Dire straits brothers in arms albums and Metallica, have whitesnake, heart, bon Jovi, just wanted some personal recommendations of similar music more in the style of mellow rock.

Please don't Rick roll me

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Bachmann Turner Overdrive, Steppenwolf, Yes, Eagles, Supertramp, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, The Alarm (as in the Viz joke about the Alarm going off - they haven't done anything decent since 69 guns), U2 (I prefer their earlier stuff such as War), Doobie Brothers (1st side of The Captain and Me is just wow), Creedence Clearwater Revival, Wishbone Ash, Moody Blues, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Talk Talk, Talking Heads, Simple Minds, Jean Loves Jezebel, Michelle Shocked, PJ Harvey, Crosby Still Nash and Young (more folky than rocky), Fairport Convention (folk rock), etc etc etc.

Plus various solo recordings from members of these bands - EG Richard Thompson.

And then there's all the punk / New Wave type bands: Sex Pistols, PIL, Stranglers (later albums were more poppy than punky), Clash, Lene Lovich, Jam, XTC, Stiff Little Fingers, Blondie, Ian Dury etc etc etc

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Some good recommendations there. Doobie brothers,the alarm and 10cc yep, pink Floyd I have only the time album so cheers. I have the joshua tree by U2 but liked new years day and a few others after. Led zep got, nirvana too and red hot chilli peppers, there's a few more like smashing pumpkins I need to get.

Thanks for the input

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Could try Free, Bad Company, Cream, Barclay James Harvest, Nils Lofren, Traffic, Steve Winwood, 10cc, Supertramp, Rory Gallagher, Peter Frampton, Wishbone Ash, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bros.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Just get this pop-tabulously handy sampler and see what you like:

6955209841_396713cf11.jpg

Lets rock!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:
Is there a difference between light rock and The Stones?

Not really, I would say Stones are light to medium. I would not describe Metallica as light though.

I would say Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Coldplay, Keane, Travis, The Verve, Tears for Fears, Snow Patrol are light.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want mellow ( and an awful lot of suggestions for you so far have been far from mellow) then have a listen to Robin Trowers last three albums on Spotify and see what you think. A master craftsman who's comfortably slipped into his 70's. If you want more "Too Rolling Stoned" "Day of the Eagle" and suchlike then probably his latest stuff isn't for you.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I was trying to poke a little fun at the genre-fication of music. What is heavier: Stone or light rock?

Light rock could be anything from The Beatles to Ben Harper to Gomez to The Black Keys to Nick Cave, to Kasabian, to Fleetwood Mac etc etc.

Reminds me of the MOR (middle of the road) label that used to fly around, which to my mind translated as boring music for old farts: Dire Straits, Clapton, Chris Rea, Tom Petty, Lenny Kravitz, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt. Now that I'm becoming an old fart myself I may have to revisit the scene!

Robben Ford has an album called The Authorised Bootleg or something along those lines. It's a live acoustic show that is well worth checking out.

Edit: seems I answered the wrong post above.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I always thought the Eagles without Joe Walsh were MOR. Another group that comes to mind are Bread.

I forgot to mention The Doobie Brothers I think are light rock.

Really you can look on sites such as Allmusic and just search under genres or similar groups.

Also most streaming services such as Spotify have similar things.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:
Reminds me of the MOR (middle of the road) label that used to fly around, which to my mind translated as boring music for old farts: Dire Straits, Clapton, Chris Rea, Tom Petty, Lenny Kravitz, Bon Jovi, Bonnie Raitt. Now that I'm becoming an old fart myself I may have to revisit the scene!

Back in the mid/late 70's with the onslaught of punk/new wave I thought the same way. It must be 20 years since I Iast played anything remotely punk, and since I flogged off all my records last year highly unlikely I'll ever willingly play any of it again. Most of that stuff makes me cringe now. Give me a nice Bonnie Raitt album any day of the week. I guess that makes me a BOF
teeth_smile.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I believe I mentioned Robin Trower on no2.lol.but bridge of sighs and twice removed from yesterday are classics also for Earth Below deserves a mention.

Indeed. Robin Trower is a huge favourite of mine, but the op was looking for mellow and as great as Bridge of Sighs is, it's hardly mellow.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Pumice?

A little on the light Proggy side but give The Alan Parson's Project a try starting with the album Eye in the Sky. It is very easy listening without being dull.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts