LG Oled news 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
If no near black problems with the new Oled range does this mean LCD is totally dead in the water?. Most so with UHD & HDR. Lets see how Lcd manufacturers respond. Cn't wait. *biggrin* This may just be my year to buy.

Native_bon said:
If no near black problems with the new Oled range does this mean LCD is totally dead in the water?. Most so with UHD & HDR. Lets see how Lcd manufacturers respond. Cn't wait. *biggrin* This may just be my year to buy.

There are other issues to overcome, like motion and cost. LCD isn't going anywhere for a while.

maverick1245

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Well I am pretty excited to get it released soon. With that you can just pick out your TV and move it with ease. It will be like a painting on your wall
Read about it at LG Oled TV
Lets hope they release it asap.

Cheers

buzz_lightclick

Will we see OLED TVs from any of the other major companies this year? Obviously we saw the ridiculously priced but very nice Panasonic last year but will Sony/Samsung/Phillips/Toshiba etc be entering the consumer OLED market?

D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.lg.com/global/lgsignature/mobile/teaser/teaser1.html

Paul.

nugget2014 said:
i hope samsung SUHD line of 2016 doesnt get a big upgrade over last year, else i will be seriously kicking myself.

I saw that all Samsung 2016 SUHD TVs will be UHD premium or whatever they are calling it, so all will be matching the JS9500 for brightness in theory.

There is two tiers of contrast in the UHD premium standard, any TV which can go bellow 0.005 cdm2 needs a brightness of 540 nits to wear the HDR badge. (This seems to be a concession to LG as for most of last year they weren't in the UHD alliance)

Any TV that can't go that dark but can go lower than 0.05cdm2 needs to hit 1000 nits, if Samsung are using similar backlights technology to 2015 we can assume they are hitting the 1000nits brightness target rather than the 0.005 black target.

I personally don't think this is a bad compromise, I would rather take the brightness over absolute blacks. I watched jurrasic world on a 48JS9000 , and the scene where the motorbikes are riding through the jungle at night blew me away, the blacks were perfectly adequate but the luminance brought so much to the scene. And this is with "only" 600 nits ;)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Paul. said:
nugget2014 said:
i hope samsung SUHD line of 2016 doesnt get a big upgrade over last year, else i will be seriously kicking myself.

I saw that all Samsung 2016 SUHD TVs will be UHD premium or whatever they are calling it, so all will be matching the JS9500 for brightness in theory.

There is two tiers of contrast in the UHD premium standard, any TV which can go bellow 0.005 cdm2 needs a brightness of 540 nits to wear the HDR badge. (This seems to be a concession to LG as for most of last year they weren't in the UHD alliance)

Any TV that can't go that dark but can go lower than 0.05cdm2 needs to hit 1000 nits, if Samsung are using similar backlights technology to 2015 we can assume they are hitting the 1000nits brightness target rather than the 0.005 black target.

I personally don't think this is a bad compromise, I would rather take the brightness over absolute blacks. I watched jurrasic world on a 48JS9000 , and the scene where the motorbikes are riding through the jungle at night blew me away, the blacks were perfectly adequate but the luminance brought so much to the scene. And this is with "only" 600 nits ;)

does anyone know what brightness levels the 2016 lg oleds can get to?

i guess its only 400 extra nits..i should be happy coming from 1080p to full 4k blu ray in a couple months right? :p i guess i can just upgrade 1 year earlier! in a couple years led might be 2000 nits and theres OLED which have many advantages over LED but they cant get as bright as led so tough choice..blacks seem like they shut off to my eyes anyway so they are good enough for me..maybe i stick with LED next upgrade

Paul.

gel said:
I think it's 1000 nits for LG Oled TVs.

where did you read that? Didn't think LG have released brightness figures at CES, CNET are quoting 25% increase in brightness over 2015, that should be just enough to push it over the 540 nits needed for a premium tag. I would be plenty happy with that, but doubt I can get a 55" for £1500 ish anytime soon.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Paul. said:
gel said:
I think it's 1000 nits for LG Oled TVs.

where did you read that? Didn't think LG have released brightness figures at CES, CNET are quoting 25% increase in brightness over 2015, that should be just enough to push it over the 540 nits needed for a premium tag. I would be plenty happy with that, but doubt I can get a 55" for £1500 ish anytime soon.

think on lg's flagship its 1000 nits, but that's its super expensive OLED..might be around £5000 or more, rest might be quite lower nits

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts