LG 55EC930V OLED, Samsung 55HU8500 or wait for Samsung 55JS8500?

TheOne

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Before Xmas I was considering purchasing the Samsung UE55HU7200. Since then, with the price drops and being fortunate to be able to increase my budget to about 2k, I've chosen to decide between the 55EC930V or the 55HU8500 (or possibly waiting for the 55JS8500, although haven't seen any pre production reviews on this yet).

I know one is OLED and others are 4K, unfortunately the new 4K OLED is double my budget!

After doing some research, there are those in favour of the LG for the black levels and lack of 4K content, but reviews for the Samsungs have been really positive.

What does the forum think, anyone seen these screens side by side?

Feel free to make other suggestions!

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

I haven't seen the new Samsung but I have seen the other two and my personal favourite is the LG OLED. It has amazing contrast and black levels. The Samsung 55 7500 is the flat version of the curved 8500 55-inch and that one is also very good. The curved 55 8500 is also very good but has had some issues.

The LG OLED has had some issues too with motion but putting the motion flaw on 1 fixes that. Having a Sky box is also very good when using these TVs. With buying TVs today I would buy from someone like John Lewis where you could return if your TV has any issues. Issues can occur on any TV.

TheOne

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks bigboss, that's some great thoughts on those TV's.

Initially it was definitely going to be a 4K TV, but after reading countless amounts of views regarding 4K or not 4K I started to investigate some of LG's OLED's. In an ideal world it sounds like the new 4K OLED would be perfect, but it's just too far out from my budget.

As I understand the 55JS8500 is HDR capable but so far there have only been reviews for the higher end JS9000 and JS9500.

If you had to choose between the LG 930 OLED or the HU7500/HU8500, which would you choose? *biggrin*

TheOne

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Gel. Think I'll try and get to JL to see if I can get a side by side comparision.

I must be honest and say I never considered the LG OLED before, guess I was drawn by the 4K marketing! *fool*

TheOne

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Well, having been to Currys to have a look at the 2 TVs,I got drawn to the new LG 4k oled. All I can say is wow!!

From what I saw (and I know shop floor conditions aren't ideal) but it made the hd oled and the new Samsung JS9000 look awful in comparison (and they're both great tv's!).

Stunning isn't enough of a word.

now how to ask the missus to double the budget? :)

Anyone want to buy my Panisonic th-50px70ba to help fund it?! ;-)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Be careful of currys - in my local store they fed all the cheaper tvs with a naff quality signal and the more expensive tv's with the better quality signal - i.e. difference between standard def and high def material.

Now while there is nothing wrong with that to the naive this would imply the £500 TV produces this standard of picture quality - which was terrible and the £2k tv produces this which miles better picture.

I am not saying the differences are not there and are not big but clever sales techniques can really be used to over emphasise this. I would guess it reduces the average shopper saying thats good enough at £500 why spend £1500

I would still be Oled over anything else besides a projector for my main tv

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Currys (stockport) are an apalling company, i was in their last monday (four day's ago) and asked if they had any new samsung tvs so i could have a look and the reply was that they weren't going to get any in untill june.

TheOne

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Just thought I'd update you to say that I decided to purchase the 55JS8500. Unfortunately I couldn't extend to the double-the-price LG970.

Richersounds have a deal at the moment too, 10% of retail and including trading in my Pano TH-50PX70BA, paid about £1850 for the TV which is considerbly less that the 4K OLED.

After read through the JS8500 owners thread, I've also managed to obtain a few calaboration settings. This did make the pic look a bit washed out (watching Game of Thrones on it wasn't great, v grey) so adjusted it as an inbetween the recommend settings and a more 'dynamic' pic. The dynamic pic option would never be one I would use (brightness, loss of detail, over saturation etc) but boy it does bring out a 4K pic!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts