Left & Right stereo channels to a single speaker

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I have just bought a single outdoor speaker (only sold as singles, don't know why), from Acoustic Energy.

Is it possible (or more importantly safe) to send both the left and right channels from the zone 2 outputs on my Denon AV receiver, wiring both outputs into the speaker?

If not, how do I get all the of the sound to the single speaker instead of just hearing either the left or right sound only?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad:
ÿ(only sold as singles, don't know why)

Are you not supposed to buy 2?ÿ

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
They were quite expensive (for an outdoor speaker - but I wanted volume and quality) and I thought I would just try the one first. I was a bit surprised that they only sold them as singles.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Denon 1906. I don't want to try it and then see the smoke
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

This suggests to me that you are supposed to buy them in pairs but are also sold singularly.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
If I had found them that cheap I would have (damn! missed out). Oh well.

Is it safe to connect both left and right to a single speaker in normal circumstance (regardless of speaker or amp make)?

A

Anonymous

No, if you turn it up more than a tad you will more than likely blow the amp as it's not protected by any resistance. You'll have to use mono sound, but outdoors is this not OK?

A

Anonymous

I assume not a good idea. The outputs will be moving between 0 and max voltage as the audio signal changes, and expect to go through the speaker resistance to 0. If you connect the outputs together, then at least some of the time one will be high and the other low - which will look a speaker short circuit to the amp. At best, you may trip the speaker short protection, at worst, if the amp doesn't have protection, you might end up frying something... and may mangle the sound anyway....

daveh75

JoelSim:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, my Physics A level from 20 years ago taught me not to wire two components into one.

agreed, your be causing a "short" and almost certainly damage the amp or the speaker or both

A

Anonymous

could you not connect the + from the left channel and the - from the right channel to the single speaker to get mono?

A

Anonymous

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:could you not connect the + from the left channel and the - from the right channel to the single speaker to get mono?

Not that often - the output stages for the left and right channel are usually seperate on a stereo amplifier, so the ground wouldn't be doing anything.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your help and advice. I will try the left or right channel (but not both). I will also look into whether or not I can output a mono signal from the amp.

If the sound quality is decent I will get a 2nd speaker anyway.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts