Leema Tucana II Anniversary - review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Mine's not been too bad today. It's still warm with both windows open but ok when wearing shorts and a tshirt.

Rick is awaiting DAC board for the Esoteric and I'm unsure of the ETA. He's only ordered it as I was worried I didn't have a good enough source to do the amp justice. I've not spoken to him in a week or so, so don't really have an update.

I reckon it shouldn't be too long now.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
That's the thing about Hifi.....something sounds great, until you hear better - and there's always better. Just ask Ellisdj.

Tell me about it :)

My wife's cousin went to Munich. Not had a chance to talk to him but saw lots of pics; some unbelievable systems.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Mine's not been too bad today. It's still warm with both windows open but ok when wearing shorts and a tshirt.

Rick is awaiting DAC board for the Esoteric and I'm unsure of the ETA. He's only ordered it as I was worried I didn't have a good enough source to do the amp justice. I've not spoken to him in a week or so, so don't really have an update.

I reckon it shouldn't be too long now.

Ah that's good, looking forward to it.

I try not to grumble about the heat in the listening room, just count myself lucky to have one and I'm sure you feel the same.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9

Very grateful for a dedicated listening room. And my prayers have worked too, it's cooler and it's raining :)

Ideal day to go through some of the new releases I've not yet heard. Ry Cooder earlier and now Loreena McKennitt. Lots to go through.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Very grateful for a dedicated listening room. And my prayers have worked too, it's cooler and it's raining :)

Ideal day to go through some of the new releases I've not yet heard. Ry Cooder earlier and now Loreena McKennitt. Lots to go through.

It rains on the good and the bad.
Please don't wish away free vitamin d for the sake of sitting indoors

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Very grateful for a dedicated listening room. And my prayers have worked too, it's cooler and it's raining :)

It rains on the good and the bad. Please don't wish away free vitamin d for the sake of sitting indoors

Fair enough. I'm just enjoying today a lot as it's not even midday and I'm half way my second new release.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Very grateful for a dedicated listening room. And my prayers have worked too, it's cooler and it's raining :)

It rains on the good and the bad. Please don't wish away free vitamin d for the sake of sitting indoors

Fair enough. I'm just enjoying today a lot as it's not even midday and I'm half way my second new release.

I was only joking btw but meant it

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

I was only joking btw but meant it

*biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had so far completely avoided even reading this thread because there's no chance in my life I'll ever be in a position to buy such an amp and I'm happier in my ignorance, but I have to say once again what a fantastic read it was.

With regards to your comments re Rumours, I totally get what you mean, but it really depends what version you hear. There are a lot of different masters, it's clear that many of them (including the regular CD version) are only distant cousins of the original master tape. By far the best sounding digital version (other opinions are available) is the version available on DVD-A. Yes it's a bit louder and a bit more dynamically compressed, but the actual SQ is leagues ahead of my CD master. This is probably because it is sourced from early-gen tapes, instead of from the tape of a tape of a taped tape. The 1997 CD 'The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac' sounds better than my Rumours CD as well and is not far removed from the SQ of the Rumours DVD-A.

insider9

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your kind words. Fingers crossed, the Esoteric review will be even better.

As to "Rumours", I've got 5 versions. For the review I've listened to 24/96 HD tracks version, which long time ago I deemed the best sounding. It is much louder than the CD rip I have. Not as clean, yet it sounded best to me. Please don't ask why, it just does.

Apart from these two, I've also got access to three versions on Tidal: MQA 24/96, Super Deluxe and standard CD. Just had a quick listen to the beginning of "Songbird" on all five and I'm happy to say I'll stick to the 24/96 version.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Just had a quick listen to the beginning of "Songbird" on all five and I'm happy to say I'll stick to the 24/96 version.
Yeah they definitely seem to put the most care into producing the hi-res version. It's probably the same master they used for the DVD-A, which is the only hi-res version I've heard. But hey if they put the same master on to the CD, no-one would spend extra on the hi-res, so it's all a business ploy at the end of the day.

insider9

Hope you're doing well. Glad you enjoyed the review. Once again huge thanks for allowing so much time with the amp. It's been an absolute pleasure to listen to Tucana for what is over a month now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts