Leema power amplifier

I've been offered a mark 1 hydra for £950 not a bad price .but as you say if the pulse pre amp is not up to the job that's that .the pre amp is £2500+ so well out of my price range.
The Pulse would be decent enough as a preamp, but you are matching entry-level integrated with a 5k new price power amp. Every component, however good will have it's limitations.

That said, at £950, it might be worth a punt. If you don't like it you could sell it on.

Reactions: Al ears
I've been offered a mark 1 hydra for £950 not a bad price .but as you say if the pulse pre amp is not up to the job that's that .the pre amp is £2500+ so well out of my price range.

at £950 it’s definitely worth a go. You’ll sell it for that (or more) should it not be for you.
pair it with the pulse for now, and keep an eye out for a used Pyxis on eBay.
the pulse amps are selling around 500, so you have a decent chunk as a deposit there.

Offered one by who? Is it a shop or a person you know? Reason for asking, can you not borrow it for a couple of days? I don't doubt it'll improve the sound but enough to shell out nearly a grand. And also will you speakers be good enough for a 5k component. Just as important, can you live with an extra box?

aversaurus

It's a offer from a seller on eBay it's the hydra mk1.
I can live with a extra box but it's not cheap .
What put me off is not that long ago I had the roksan k2 amp with separate power amplifier .
It did make a difference but not that much really for the out lay

It's a offer from a seller on eBay it's the hydra mk1.
I can live with a extra box but it's not cheap .
What put me off is not that long ago I had the roksan k2 amp with separate power amplifier .
It did make a difference but not that much really for the out lay
If you're going for a power amplifier it is always best of you pair of with the equivalent preamp forget trying to use it with an integrated. Often the synergy isn't there and it's not particularly economic sense.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Sorry about that. I did say it might be worth a punt, although purely based on my own experience, I don't think any integrated is great when used as a preamp.

It was just a honest opinion
Agreed. Of course many believe it is actually the quality of the preamp which gives a system it's 'character'.
I remember years ago adding an Audio Research LS6 valve preamp to my Musical Fidelity amplifier....the difference/improvement was not subtle!

Reactions: Al ears
Agreed. Of course many believe it is actually the quality of the preamp which gives a system it's 'character'.
I remember years ago adding an Audio Research LS6 valve preamp to my Musical Fidelity amplifier....the difference/improvement was not subtle!
Years ago I heard Roksan Caspian M1 pre & power. That sounded the dogs. Couldn't imagine it would sound anywhere near as good if you used a Caspian integrated as a preamp.

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts