LED TV Picture Quality Issues

King Goal

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Just bought a 200Hz LED TV and the picture quality isn't any better than on my old CRT. Especially when watching sports. The screen isn't clear and there is blurring. However, I'm not viewing in HD and do not have an HD cable box but I would still expect the picture quality to be much better. When I spoke to Samsung, they said to switch 200Hz Motion Plus off when watching sports!!!! What's the point in me buying a TV with a 200Hz feature when the picture is going to be better when it is disabled?!! Also, when playing the Wii the picture is worse and puts a real strain on the eyes. Not happy at the mo and only hope that when I have my new HD cable box from Virgin and everything is connected via HDMI, that I see the real benefits of investing in this TV.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As well as what I said in your other thread on this issue, how do you have the Wii connected currently? If it's not via the component cable (which you can see here), you can try changing to this - many people on this forum have reported using this has improved the picture quality.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Like professorhat I also had a look at your other post.

What you have to take into account is that a SD source is only supplying your Full HD screen with aproximatly 1/4 of the pixels it needs to fill its native screen resolution, so inorder for the image not to apear as a small box in the middle of your TV surrounded by black your TV has to upscale this SD picture by interpoleration to make a full screen image. This process can result in picture artifacts and excessive picture noise dependant upon just how good your TVs internal scaler is.

I have older non-HD Plasma as well as a Full HD one and IMHO SD via a non-HD Sky box looks better on my older plasma mainly IMHO due to the fact it has no upscaling to do.

There is a definate improvement when you add a HD TV source to the mix (with Sky+HD this even applies to most of the SD channels also) as from my experiance the TV proformance definatly inmproves with a digital connection for the feed.

Even when you upgrade the Wii to a component connection, the PQ will improve but don't be expecting 360/PS3 pq here as the Wii is a SD unit. Yes the component connection will provide a more stable and colourfull image over scart but the Wii only sends a 480p image over component compared to 576i over scart so there is still plenty of scaling to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts