LED LCD Vertical Banding! Heart broken!

mattcooper

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Samsung UA65F8000. I'm new to the world of LED LCD screens and was really excited. I understood about the " clouding effect aka torch light" that some LCDs have but had no idea about the world of vertical banding.

I'm onto my second F8000 and am just about to exchange it. The banding is horrible. I can't even enjoy the new GTA 5 without looking into the blue sky to see this banding effect.

I dont want plasma as ive had one for the past 5 year and no longer want that.

I guess my question is why is LCD banding so secrective. No reviews ever talk about it. Is there any panels that arent heavely effected by this?

What LCD is better then the F8000? Is sony better?

Im so desspressed over this. Any advice would be great.

Regards

Matt

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mattcooper said:
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Samsung UA65F8000. I'm new to the world of LED LCD screens and was really excited. I understood about the " clouding effect aka torch light" that some LCDs have but had no idea about the world of vertical banding.

I'm onto my second F8000 and am just about to exchange it. The banding is horrible. I can't even enjoy the new GTA 5 without looking into the blue sky to see this banding effect.

I dont want plasma as ive had one for the past 5 year and no longer want that.

I guess my question is why is LCD banding so secrective. No reviews ever talk about it. Is there any panels that arent heavely effected by this?

What LCD is better then the F8000? Is sony better?

Im so desspressed over this. Any advice would be great.

Regards

Matt

All I can say is that my UE55F8000 is not effected by vertical banding and GTA5 looks glorious on it.

Not all TVs are affected by this issue and it's also an issue not restricted to LED TVs as plasma TVs can also suffer from it and the bigger the TV the more noticeable any issues will be. It's worth trying a third replacement but if you don't want to do that then the Sony W9 is a worthy alternative but be warned that you need to be sitting dead centre of the screen or contrast levels vary wildly.

There is no big secret going on regarding banding it's just an issue many consumers don't notice or are aware of, I can understand just how distracting it is but thought it was worth telling you of my experience as an F8000 owner.

Slooper

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
From reading many posts on various forums and from my own experience you will be VERY lucky to get a large edge lit LCD today without some form of banding.

I currently have a 46HX853 and this has some banding, not excessive but enough for me to notice it on occasion (I can see it in GTA V as well :mad: ). My set has no dead pixels and almost zero flashlighting, so I am prepared to put up with a little banding. I try not to look for it now and just enjoy the pictures/games.

The trouble is if you decide to replace the set or try another brand then you are not guaranteed to get a set that is better than the one you have. IMO buying an LCD nowadays is just finding a set you can live with.

Have a look at some of the images on Google for some real banding horrors.

Good luck!

Have you sold your Sony Oldboy?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Slooper said:
From reading many posts on various forums and from my own experience you will be VERY lucky to get a large edge lit LCD today without some form of banding. I currently have a 46HX853 and this has some banding, not excessive but enough for me to notice it on occasion (I can see it in GTA V as well :mad: ). My set has no dead pixels and almost zero flashlighting, so I am prepared to put up with a little banding. I try not to look for it now and just enjoy the pictures/games. The trouble is if you decide to replace the set or try another brand then you are not guaranteed to get a set that is better than the one you have. IMO buying an LCD nowadays is just finding a set you can live with. Have a look at some of the images on Google for some real banding horrors. Good luck! Have you sold your Sony Oldboy?

I do agree with you regarding banding on large screen LED TVs but it should be said that plasma TVs suffer from it too, it's not down to it being an LED TV but more to do with large screen sizes no matter the tech. OLED does offer some hope here and initial reports suggest the tech offers the most uniform panels ever produced but as very few are actually in real homes right now due to cost we will just have to take the manufacturers word for it until one finally gets a proper review.

I have had two Panasonic plasmas that had banding present, my first plasma (G20) had it but it wasn't a major issue and that was only a 42 inch and my second GT30 showed signs of it too but thankfully that had to go back due to very loud buzzing, my third and final GT30 had no signs of banding though. What is surprising is how much of a lottery getting a panel without banding issues is today, both plasma and LED are quite old tech now yet the problem persists and you would have thought banding issues would be a thing of the past...I wonder what causes it?

As I've said many times in the past no TV is perfect, some get close but by no means is the perfect TV out there to buy. All have their own inherent issues and arguments can be made for and against any TV currently on the market, you should go into buying one with your eyes open and not expect perfection. Know the ups and downs of every tech on the market and decide what is best for you.

Yes I sold my 46HX853 as it was just too small and letterbox 3D blurays lacked impact and punch, now have a 55F8000 and I'm very happy with it...must have got lucky with the banding though as I can't detect any sign of it after looking very hard for it. That doesn't mean I won't get any in the future though but right now after about two months use there is no sign of it...yet ;)

gerald7246

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I'd stick with PLASMA,I personally have never seen banding on PLASMA ,I own three a PANASONIC 60 inch,a 42 inch hitachi seven years and a 50 inch Samsung. Problem is burn in some are MORE sensitive to it my Samsung first 2010 which I wipe continuously,but burn in is very easy,then the Panasonic but not bad and the most resistant is my seven year old 42 inch not a bit of burn in. Though it's only one I bought new and babied since day one.

I also own seven lcd and led tv's my six year old SANYO 46 inch is.Great,my 55 inch 2011 sony looks great ,my 26 inch toshiba,vizio,aoc great. But my 2014 Panasonic 60 inch smart tv is a nightmare,clouding,banding no depth etc. I realise this post is old I just haven't found a lcd or led that compares overall to my 60 inch PLASMA,42 or 50. I paid 1200 for this atrocity and can't believe manufactures would even sell such junk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts