Lease car help

Paul.

Hi folks, I’m thinking of leasing a car but I’ve never done it before. Possibly a Peugeot e208 but have a few months to shortlist before the garages open.

I prefer to own a car but since I want an electric car and battery tech should be doing interesting things in the next few years a shortish lease is probably wiser than tying myself to what’s available now.

I have never leased before, partly because I always lived in busy areas with rubbish on street parking. I’ve never had a high value car because of the amount of damage that other people have done to my cars. Now I have a drive way it’s probably a safer bet. I am concerned about the horror stories I’ve heard about lease companies price gouging on return of the car, charging hugely inflated costs for tiny damage. Is this true? Are some companies better than others? Can anyone recommend good companies to lease from as I’m flying blind.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi folks, I’m thinking of leasing a car but I’ve never done it before. Possibly a Peugeot e208 but have a few months to shortlist before the garages open.

I prefer to own a car but since I want an electric car and battery tech should be doing interesting things in the next few years a shortish lease is probably wiser than tying myself to what’s available now.

I have never leased before, partly because I always lived in busy areas with rubbish on street parking. I’ve never had a high value car because of the amount of damage that other people have done to my cars. Now I have a drive way it’s probably a safer bet. I am concerned about the horror stories I’ve heard about lease companies price gouging on return of the car, charging hugely inflated costs for tiny damage. Is this true? Are some companies better than others? Can anyone recommend good companies to lease from as I’m flying blind.
You could always buy a car from a garage and pay for it over 4 years or so and then after 4 years you get the option to hand it back and not pay for the other half. That’s what we do. Then you only have the monthly payments and that’s all to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience of lease has been positive so far. The first time I leased, my Golf GTE had diamond cut alloys which had a few scrapes. So I repaired it (went for cheap repair which wasn't perfect). I still had to pay to the lease company as it wasn't a good job. But their policy was to charge £40 per alloy wheel which was way cheaper than what it costed me. Most are usually fair, there will always be cowboy lease companies.

D

Deleted member 2457

You could always buy a car from a garage and pay for it over 8 years or so and then after 4 years you get the option to hand it back and not pay for the other half. That’s what we do. Then you only have the monthly payments and that’s all to pay.
We currently have a Jaguar XF on a deal like that:

We all pay a monthly payment towards it each month but mainly I do.

jjbomber

Garages are open for click and collect. You'll probably get better offers now as buyers are few and far between. You can use car brokers to get the best prices.

buzz_lightclick

My experience of lease has been positive so far. The first time I leased, my Golf GTE had diamond cut alloys which had a few scrapes. So I repaired it (went for cheap repair which wasn't perfect). I still had to pay to the lease company as it wasn't a good job. But their policy was to charge £40 per alloy wheel which was way cheaper than what it costed me. Most are usually fair, there will always be cowboy lease companies.
How did you find the Golf GTE to drive BigBoss? What was the range like?

Golf GTE is an awesome car! Very quiet, you don't even realise when the car goes from electric to petrol. Fully loaded and very practical. Range on paper was 29 miles, but I got around 20-22 miles (less in winter).

I replaced that with BMW 225XE hybrid which was disappointing. GTE was far superior.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick
D

Deleted member 2457

We are getting a new car this year because the 4 years are up...

Paul.

I think you may be right @jjbomber buying in lockdown might get me a good deal. I didn’t realise that distance trading worked on cars if bought click and collect so I can reject quite easily if I don’t get on with it, that makes me a bit more confident.

After walking past a vw garage yesterday I was pretty set on leasing an id3 until I saw the spec sheet of them. £30k car without alloys! You gotta buy the £42k one to get alloys as standard? I need quite a few optional extras, I’m uncomfortable with the idea of paying 100% of the rrp cost for extras when it’s a lease car I have to give back.

another worry, why do none of these evs have roof bars? I understand the i3 not having roof mounts because of its fancy carbon shell but the Zoe and id3 don’t either? Obviously a roof mounted bike will cause a hit on range but I’d definitely want the choice.

As gel suggested, also look at PCP deals. The advantage is you can return the car earlier if you want, or better still, sell the car privately instead of handing the car back. I had a Mercedes E class in PCP few years ago, and sold it privately for £2000 more than the GFV at end of term.

Paul.

VW just don't want you to use a roof mount or tow hitch on the id3 for technical reasons.
They do include a hitch as an option, it’s quite cool actually, hides behind the number plate. It’s not allowed to tow, it’s purely for a cycle carrier.
Tesla Model 3 will allow you to have the option of a tow hitch. Or look at SUV style electric cars. Skoda Enyaq iV for example will allow you to have roof bars.
I’m not a fan of suv style cars unfortunately. My brother has an eniro, had a ride in it on Christmas Day. I really want to love it as on paper it’s great but my heart just isn’t in it 😂

Ill take a look at some finance deals as well.

abacus

You can get a bike hitch for the rear if it is just a bike you want to carry.

There are very few options for electric cars (ID3 included) so apart from Alloy wheels (Which reduce range) and a bike hitch, the extras are minimal. (Read reviews and YouTube videos from owners and what you think you need to add, you actually don’t)

ID4 should have roof bars and a tow hitch available.

Electric cars are still fairly expensive and it will probably be another 2 or 3 years or so until most achieve price parity with petrol/diesel, so it may be worth sticking with petrol for the time being. (Sales of new petrol/diesel will not stop till 2030 so there is plenty of time)

If you really want to go for it, get yourself a Porsche Taycan Turbo S with a few extras and really enjoy yourself, (A bike is irrelevant) or if you don’t mind a boring looking box on wheels (You can easily stick a brown paper bag over your head😁) there are supposedly good deals on Tesla’s. (Typical Reps cars)

Bill

Paul.

I can’t find any finance deals that get close to the lease deals so will probably go for a leased id3. There are very good deals on id3 at the mo. Some folks on a forum (so take with a pinch of salt) said vw pushed loads of id3 out to the lease companies so they could hit their c02 targets

Jeffery1k

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
I've mostly owned cars in their tenth to twentieth years of existence (with a lease or two thrown in there over the years). The majority of automobiles will require maintenance on the order of $1000 each year. This will amount to $2500 in major repairs in some years. Some years will be simple, and you'll only need to spend $500 or less. That's usually a lot less than the thousands you'd spend on a new car on a regular basis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts