Dali Zensor 7 vs B&W 683 S2

wanthigherfi

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
In the course of upgrading my living room speakers from bookshelf speakers to tower speakers I recently compared my Dali Zensor 3s to a pair of B&W 683 S2s in my living room. As a result, I returned the B&W speakers and got a used pair of Zensor 7s (which I listened to before purchasing). In case anyone finds this helpful, here’s why I picked the Zensor 7s.

Background: My living room would be 15 x 20 (feet) except that the homeowner (I rent two rooms) put a bathroom in the corner. So it’s 15 x 20 minus a walled off 6 x 6 section. And it has a slate floor (mostly covered in rugs) and a mostly glass wall and a partly brick wall, so it’s on the reflective/bright side of things.

My amp is a PM 6005.

I compared the speakers by going back and forth between the A speakers and B speakers on the amp, with the Zensors set up on stands inside the B&Ws (not literally inside them, because that would have really hurt the sound of the Dalis).

Both sets of speakers were about two feet from the back wall and at least that much from the side walls.

Unfortunately, I did the whole comparison using Spotify (toslink into the PM 6005) since I hadn’t gotten Tidal yet and don’t have another source.

Pros for the 683 S2s:

I loved the bass on them; it had just the right weight and was really nicely controlled. The Zensor 3s had less weight and really struggled when the double bass playing Bach’s cello suites went low. Granted, that’s very low and it’s not fair to the Zensor 3s to put them so far from any walls. The Zensor 7s handled this fine, and I have no problem with their bass. It’s just not quite as impressive as the B&Ws.

The B&Ws were also able to stretch the soundstage a bit more than either pair of the Dalis without losing the middle. They also gave orchestral music a bit more (needed) weight than the Zensor 3s. Going by memory, the B&Ws were also a little better than the Zensor 7s in this regard. I also find the 7s a touch light in the midrange.

Also, vocals (not counting sopranos) were a little better on the B&Ws; Leonard Cohen (early albums) sounded fantastic, as did Etta James. But vocals also sound very good on both pairs of Dalis.

Why I returned the 683 S2s for a pair of Zensor 7s:

I got some listener fatigue from the 683 S2s. Granted, this was not helped by Spotify (Tidal seems better in this respect, but I didn’t have it at the time) or my room. That noted, I’ve never gotten listener fatigue from either pair of Dalis, even when I used Spotify, and I work at home and listen for both work and pleasure, i.e., many hours a day.

Solo violins and whole string sections sounded more natural on the Dalis. When a solo violin cranks up the pace, the Dalis do a better job of keeping up. And solo violins sounded more (appropriately) delicate on the Dalis.

I’m less sure about this, but I think I remember the B&Ws sometimes sounding a bit clangy with solo piano music, whereas solo piano always sounds pleasant (tonally speaking) on both pairs of Zensors.

In terms of impressions: When I was listening to classical music on the Dalis while working I often found myself stopping because the music sounded so damn pleasant that I wanted to just listen. And that was missing from the B&Ws. Then again, every time I put on a Leonard Cohen song at night with the B&Ws I ended up listening to the whole album even though I didn’t really have time to. (A cliché, but true in this case.)

I often find myself wanting to turn up the music on the Dalis, because I’m enjoying it and want more. (I mean that as a good thing.) Didn’t have that with the 683 S2s.

Anyway, I listen mainly to classical, so the Dalis’ better reproduction of violins tipped things in their favor for me. Probably for other kinds of music the B&Ws would be better overall. (They do a great job on the bass in jazz trios.) And maybe the listener fatigue would have been taken care of by a better source. Perhaps that would even make the B&Ws more natural and/or quicker on the solo violin, though this latter seems unlikely.

I’m very happy with the Zensor 7s. If I have a complaint it’s that I wish they had a bit more weight with orchestral music.

Wow. That’s a long post. Okay, I’m done.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually you have compared two different class speakers... B&W 683 S2 is higher class than Dali Zensors... If you would like to compare one class speakers, then you should listen to B&W 683 S2 and Dali Ikon 6 mk2. It is really huge difference between Zensor 7 and Ikon 6... :)

wanthigherfi

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Over here (U.S.) the 683 S2s are about $450 less than the Ikons, plus I got them open box, so they were $800 under the Ikons. And the used Zensor 7s I settled on were $1,300 less than the Ikons. The nice thing about that is that I'll be happy to sell them and upgrade when Dali updates the Ikons. Anyway, thanks--good to know that the next model up is a real improvement.

wanthigherfi

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
The 6005 drives the 7s nicely up until you want to go past very loud to really, really loud (but still in a range that's enjoyable for a symphony). At that point things were plenty loud but I noticed that the soundstage was messier and contracting into the two speakers.

I didn't push it as much with the B&Ws since I knew I might return them and really didn't want to damage them. But my sense was that it was going to have a harder time with them at very high volume levels. If you're happy with solidly loud but not super loud, then the Marantz would probably be enough. Otherwise I'd go for more power.

Ecommunicator

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

i must say I also just bought the dali zensor 7 instead of the b&w 683s2 -- after several times listening i concluded that the dali sounded better if you don't turn up the volume. The b&w sounded better loud but for home

listening the warmth and detail of dali convinced me right away. My marantz 8005 is perfect with it and my lp's sound amazing :) !

Rgds

Ande3200

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Both are great speakers at great speakers. But that marantz won't be enough for the b&w you will need a lot more powerful amp for the b&w 683 s2 to sound clear. With high quality powerful amp the b&w will sound Better than dali zensor 7.

rainsoothe

Ande3200 said:
Both are great speakers at great speakers. But that marantz won't be enough for the b&w you will need a lot more powerful amp for the b&w 683 s2 to sound clear. With high quality powerful amp the b&w will sound Better than dali zensor 7.

+1 to this. Also, I find the bass on the Zensor 7 a bit too slow. But Dali match Marantz very well indeed. The B&W 683 bennefit from better (and warmer) amplification - like Nap200 (nonDR) for example.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Ande3200 said:

+1 to this. Also, I find the bass on the Zensor 7 a bit too slow. But Dali match Marantz very well indeed. The B&W 683 bennefit from better (and warmer) amplification - like Nap200 (nonDR) for example.

That's an interesting point. I have always found the bass on the Dali models with the smaller bass drivers, the Zensor 1s and 5s to be faster, more articulate and more expressive than those models with the bigger bass drivers.

Not that I have listened to them a lot but I find the Zensor 3 for example, to lack clarity and drive, something I have not noticed on the 5s.

Given the high regard that the Zensor 3s are held on this forum I am somewhat perplexed by my own impressions, but given my (hopefully well known) antipathy to even a hint of bass bloat, perhaps not.

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
rainsoothe said:
Ande3200 said:

That's an interesting point. I have always found the bass on the Dali models with the smaller bass drivers, the Zensor 1s and 5s to be faster, more articulate and more expressive than those models with the bigger bass drivers.

Not that I have listened to them a lot but I find the Zensor 3 for example, to lack clarity and drive, something I have not noticed on the 5s.

Given the high regard that the Zensor 3s are held on this forum I am somewhat perplexed by my own impressions, but given my (hopefully well known) antipathy to even a hint of bass bloat, perhaps not.

What was the rest of the setup with the Zensor 3? Just out of curiosity.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In the shop we started with a PM6005, a combination that I thought quite unacceptable. The music was held back by flatulent bass which pretty much removed all sense of pace or purpose from the music.

An Arcam A19 helped a little, improving clarity a little (better control..?) but the best we managed was with a Cambridge 651 power amplifier, still not really that good though.

Replacing the speakers with the Zensor 5s helped a lot, they sounded acceptable, more or less, on the Marantz and actually quite decent on the 651. Still not great but good enough to think that a more suitable amp (a Creek maybe) and more careful set up would give something really worthwhile.

This dem was carried out with a third party who thought the PM6005/Zensor3 combination was all he needed. Poorly set up in his home it sounds like a big boombox, he likes it though and I keep my mouth firmly closed...*unknw*

matthewpiano

In response to your comments about the difference in piano music reproduction between the Dali and B&W speakers, any speaker that makes piano sound consistently nice isn't being very truthful. If piano music always sounds beautiful and free of edginess through the Dalis, then they are padding it out, and brushing over the tonal characteristics of the different pianos. What you are getting from the B&Ws is more honest, and more faithful to the recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts