Hi-Fi Upgrade

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been lucky enough over the past month to get a chance to upgrade my Hi-Fi setup. Whilst still a system that would be classed as "budget" (and may not fit in that bracket) I must admit that for improving the sound I've done well.

NAD C316BEE Stereo Amp

Wharfdale Diamond 220 Speakers

Atacama Stands

Project Debut Carbon (Owned for a little while but now getting some better use out of it)

Cambridge Audio Pre-Amp

Cambridge Audio DAC (for PC and TV playback)

A chunk of different cables and interconnects. Mainly QED

I mostly listen to vinyl and I am fortunate to have a nice collection with some very good specimens. Listening to some of these albums on the new kit has seriously opened up sections of music I never knew were there or was less audible.

I’ve never been able to justify (or actually afford) nice hi-fi kit before but the above has definitely been a happy experience for me and one I certainly don’t regret. The kit listed may be “budget” but it certainly has put a massive grin on my face. It just sounds so awesome.

My biggest surprise has been the NAD amp and the Diamond 220’s. The sound (for me) is just phenomenal. A very easy to use amp that is not complicated at all that powers the 220’s effortlessly. I’ve been edging the volume up bit by bit and the capabilities far exceed my levels of enjoyment. A beautiful and quality range of Bass, mid and high tones from the speakers has genuinely made the hairs on my arms stand up on music I know very well.

Like a Kid at Christmas with a new toy I’m eager to get home tonight and get to my man cave for another session of aural re-discovery.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Michael Earl said:
I’ve been lucky enough over the past month to get a chance to upgrade my Hi-Fi setup. Whilst still a system that would be classed as "budget" (and may not fit in that bracket) I must admit that for improving the sound I've done well.

NAD C316BEE Stereo Amp

Wharfdale Diamond 220 Speakers

Atacama Stands

Project Debut Carbon (Owned for a little while but now getting some better use out of it)

Cambridge Audio Pre-Amp

Cambridge Audio DAC (for PC and TV playback)

A chunk of different cables and interconnects. Mainly QED

I mostly listen to vinyl and I am fortunate to have a nice collection with some very good specimens. Listening to some of these albums on the new kit has seriously opened up sections of music I never knew were there or was less audible.

I’ve never been able to justify (or actually afford) nice hi-fi kit before but the above has definitely been a happy experience for me and one I certainly don’t regret. The kit listed may be “budget” but it certainly has put a massive grin on my face. It just sounds so awesome.

My biggest surprise has been the NAD amp and the Diamond 220’s. The sound (for me) is just phenomenal. A very easy to use amp that is not complicated at all that powers the 220’s effortlessly. I’ve been edging the volume up bit by bit and the capabilities far exceed my levels of enjoyment. A beautiful and quality range of Bass, mid and high tones from the speakers has genuinely made the hairs on my arms stand up on music I know very well.

Like a Kid at Christmas with a new toy I’m eager to get home tonight and get to my man cave for another session of aural re-discovery.

Now repeat after me; 'I will not read any more magazines or forum posts, I shall be happy for a long time' :)

Congrats on your system.

These relatively affordable systems are probably where it's all. It can of course get better the more you spend but reading of how many have a rather expensive and convoluted journey getting there you/I have to wonder sometimes whether its not better to just stop when you have something that you enjoy. - Of course it doesn't work that way, don't we all know that :). One example of 'David vs. Goliath' was in a dealer room. On one side an expensive MF system on the other an entry level NAD. The NAD system sounded very enjoyable.

Vinyl forever

TRENDING THREADS